Think Different 164: United Nations

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Think Different 164: United Nations

Post by dhkendall »

jpahk wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Soccer question ruined me (but then I know next to nothing about futbol, just figured that all soccer playing countries in the Americas would be in that group, woudln't have guessed at all that there was a second league for the Americas as well.)
well, tjconn728 did helpfully spell out the acronym in the question:
tjconn728 wrote:1. At least one national soccer team that is currently a member of the Confederation of North, Central American, and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) has been present at each FIFA World Cup since the inaugural event in 1930. However, the 35 teams that have qualified over this time span have come from only 10 different countries. Name one of those countries. (10)
that doesn't sound like it includes south america, and indeed, it doesn't.
Ah, then it's my usual RTFQ then. Thanks, joon. (I could have sworn I saw a "South [America]" in there too)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I don't believe it! I have never seen an episode of "Survivor" in my life, but I was sure I had heard about "Survivor: Seychelles". It turns out --- it FANFIC. Jeepers.

I was also sure about "Survivor: Palau" and "Survivor: Vanuatu", either of which would have been correct answers, but Noooo -- I had to go pick the one that was FANFIC.

I simply can't win for losing.
Teems with quiet fun.
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote:6. Of the 193 United Nations member states, 175 maintain embassies in Washington, D.C. Name one of the 18 countries that does not. (18)
SHEEP - 7 points - North Korea (no formal diplomatic mission)
Vanya
Lumosityfan
kettledrum
jpahk
Creed Bratton
Bamaman
MarkBarrett

5 points - United States (because, why would that exist?)
immaf
jeffwolfe
dhkendall
Magna
econgator

2 points - Cuba (represented through embassy of Switzerland)
amorris525
Sherm

2 points - Iran (represented through embassy of Pakistan)
jkbrat
ElendilPickle

2 points - Kiribati (no formal diplomatic mission)
gamawire
Woof

1 point - Guinea-Bissau (no formal diplomatic mission)
marpocky

1 point - Tuvalu (no formal diplomatic mission)
cheezguyty

0 points - VETO
FireAntsDefense
mathdanmom
skullturf
goforthetie
Turd Ferguson
Rackme32
sillymonkey

UNUSED CORRECT ANSWERS
Andorra (embassy in New York)
Bhutan (no formal diplomatic mission)
Comoros (embassy in New York)
Maldives (embassy in New York)
Nauru (embassy in New York)
Samoa (embassy in New York)
Seychelles (embassy in New York)
Solomon Islands (embassy in New York)
Somalia (no formal diplomatic mission)
Tonga (embassy in New York)
Vanuatu (no formal diplomatic mission)

14 points - INCORRECT ANSWERS

Laos
gnash

Libya
crazymatt1

Myanmar
Leander

South Sudan
UniquePerspective

Scoring update coming soon!
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

After six questions, we have a new top two, who have created a bit of separation between them and the pack.

9 points
cheezguyty

10 points
goforthetie

13 points
Woof

14 points
marpocky

17 points
Magna
skullturf
Turd Ferguson

18 points
Rackme32
Sherm

21 points
jpahk

22 points
Bamaman
kettledrum

23 points
amorris525
econgator
gamawire

24 points
ElendilPickle

26 points
mathdanmom

27 points
Creed Bratton
MarkBarrett

29 points
gnash

31 points
jkbrat
Leander
Vanya

32 points
jeffwolfe

34 points
FireAntsDefense
UniquePerspective

36 points
dhkendall

37 points
Lumosityfan
sillymonkey

38 points
immaf

40 points
crazymatt1
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

tjconn728 wrote: Somalia (no formal diplomatic mission)
Doggone it, I abandoned this answer for the sheep-runner-up. My thinking was that recent events in Kenya would remind people that Somalia has almost no central government.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote:7. The classic version of the board game Risk divides the world into 42 territories. The name of 32 of these territories contains the full or partial modern name of a country, territory, or sub-national entity within a country. (The other 10 names are general geographic regions that contain multiple countries). Name one of the countries referred to, either in full or that contains one of the territories or sub-national entities. (24)

SHEEP - 4 points - Canada (Northwest Territory, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec)
cheezguyty
gamawire
UniquePerspective
dhkendall

3 points - Brazil
skullturf
Rackme32
mathdanmom

2 points - Australia (Western Australia, Eastern Australia)
Turd Ferguson
sillymonkey

2 points - Peru
Woof
MarkBarrett

2 points - Russia (Siberia, Yakutsk, Irkutsk, Kamchatka)
kettledrum
Vanya

2 points - Ukraine
jpahk
crazymatt1

2 points - United States (Alaska, Eastern United States, Western United States)
econgator
jeffwolfe

2 points - GENERAL ASSEMBLY (DR Congo)
ElendilPickle
FireAntsDefense

1 point - Denmark (Greenland)
goforthetie

1 point - Iceland
Magna

1 point - India
Sherm

1 point - Madagascar
Bamaman

1 point - Mongolia
Lumosityfan

1 point - Papua New Guinea (New Guinea)
marpocky

0 points - VETO
amorris525
Creed Bratton
gnash
Leander
immaf

UNUSED CORRECT ANSWERS
Afghanistan
Argentina
China
Congo
DR Congo (Congo)
Egypt
Indonesia
Japan
South Africa
United Kingdom (aka United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Venezuela

10 points - INCORRECT ANSWERS

Kamchatka
jkbrat
Kamchtaka is a territory in the game, but the answer should have been Russia.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:
tjconn728 wrote: Somalia (no formal diplomatic mission)
Doggone it, I abandoned this answer for the sheep-runner-up. My thinking was that recent events in Kenya would remind people that Somalia has almost no central government.
Neither do you. :)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote:8. Nature Climate Change published a study, "Future Flood Losses in Major Coastal Cities," in August 2013 that listed where sea level rise and flooding have the potential to cause the greatest amount of damage, as measured in U.S. dollars. The study cites cities with the largest annual flood risk, cities with the largest flood risk compared to local GDP, and cities where the average annual loss due to flooding is expected to increase most between 2005 and 2050 due to sea-level rise. Each of these lists contains 20 cities, some of which appear on multiple lists. Name a country containing a city that appears on any of the three lists. (25)

Bonus: Name the city (no need to specify which list).
In retrospect, this probably wasn't a great question, as citing a specific, not widely-known list is probably a bit too narrow of a focus, even if some of the entries on the list are possible to suss out. A recent TD had a discussion about such a list recently (I think it had something to do with music) and despite that conversation I decided to include this question anyway. While I don't think this caused any glaring problems or that the answers are debatable, it probably just wasn't much of a fun question, as the distribution of the answers seems to attest to. Anyway, future TD writers, my suggestion is to avoid questions relating to a list from a specialty publication. Now, on to the results!

SHEEP - 9 points - United States (Baltimore, Boston, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, Tampa, Virginia Beach)
gamawire (New Orleans) -1
skullturf (New Orleans) -1
sillymonkey
MarkBarrett (New Orleans) -1
kettledrum (New Orleans) -1
econgator (New York) -1
jeffwolfe (New Orleans) -1
gnash (Miami) -1
immaf (New York) -1

4 points - Bangladesh (Khulna)
jkbrat (Dhaka)
FireAntsDefense (Dhaka)
Magna (Dhaka)
Creed Bratton (Dhaka)

2 points - China (Fuzhou, Guangzhou, Ningbo, Shanghai, Shenzen, Tianjin, Zhanjiang)
Rackme32 (Shanghai) -1
mathdanmom (Beijing)

2 points - Italy (Naples)
ElendilPickle (Venice)
Leander (Venice)
Of all the cities not on this list, Venice is the most surprising to me. Fortunately for you two, Naples made it instead, although as someone who has been there numerous times, I'd place Mount Vesuvius, lack of garbage collection, and the Camora as bigger threats to Naples than rising sea levels.

2 points - Vietnam (Hai Phong, Ho Chi Minh City)
UniquePerspective (Ho Chi Minh City) -1
jpahk (Hanoi)

2 points - Singapore (Singapore)
Sherm (Singapore) -1
goforthetie (Singapore) -1

2 points - Netherlands (Rotterdam)
dhkendall (Amsterdam)
Lumosityfan (Rotterdam) -1

1 point - India (Kolkata, Kochi, Mumbai, Surat)
marpocky (Mumbai) -1

1 point - Japan (Fukuoka-Kitakyushu, Nagoya, Osaka-Kobe, Sapporo)
amorris525 (Tokyo)

1 point - Turkey (Istanbul, Izmir)
cheezguyty (Istanbul) -1

1 point - GENERAL ASSEMBLY (Cuba)
Vanya

0 points - VETO
crazymatt1
Bamaman

UNUSED CORRECT ANSWERS
Algeria (Algiers)
Brazil (Grande-Vitoria)
Canada (Vancouver)
Colombia (Barranquilla)
Cuba (Havana)
North Korea (Nampo)
Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo)
Ecuador (Guayaquil)
Egypt (Alexandria)
France (Marseille)
Greece (Athens)
Haiti (Port au Prince)
Indonesia (Jakarta, Palembang)
Israel (Tel Aviv)
Ivory Coast (Abidjan)
Lebanon (Beirut)
Libya (Benghazi)

18 points - INCORRECT ANSWERS

Belgium
Turd Ferguson (Antwerp)

Netherlands
dhkendall (Amsterdam)
Lumosityfan (Rotterdam)

Pakistan
Woof (Karachi)

Singapore
goforthetie (Singapore)
Sherm (Singapore)
Last edited by tjconn728 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

We're halfway through, and it's become a two-person race at the top of the leaderboard with a number of players within striking distance if either of the leaders make a mistake.
Well going from 18 points to 1 or 2 points on a question can really make a difference in the standings, eh?

12 points
goforthetie

13 points
cheezguyty

15 points
marpocky

20 points
Sherm

22 points
Magna
Rackme32

23 points
Bamaman

24 points
amorris525

25 points
jpahk

28 points
ElendilPickle
skullturf

29 points
goforthetie

31 points
Creed Bratton
mathdanmom

32 points
kettledrum

33 points
econgator
Leander
Woof

34 points
Vanya

35 points
gamawire

37 points
gnash
MarkBarrett
Sherm
Turd Ferguson

39 points
UniquePerspective
Lumosityfan

40 points
FireAntsDefense

42 points
crazymatt1
jeffwolfe
dhkendall

45 points
jkbrat

46 points
immaf

48 points
sillymonkey

56 points
Lumosityfan

58 points
dhkendall

I'll continue with the scoring for question 9 in the morning.
Last edited by tjconn728 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

tjconn728 wrote:Of all the cities not on this list, Venice is the most surprising to me. Fortunately for you two, Naples made it instead, although as someone who has been there numerous times, I'd place Mount Vesuvius, lack of garbage collection, and the Camora as bigger threats to Naples than rising sea levels.
OK, the fix is in. Venice probably isn't on the list because the question discusses large financial impacts. Venice may well disappear in a flood but I don't know that the city has the GDP of a city like.....oh, I don't know.....How about Singapore? Or as I will call it from now on Fricking Singapore!!!

Are you kidding me!!!!!! It's one of the busiest port cities in the world, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it’s an island. You know. By definition, Does that not make it surrounded by water?????? I mean, Am I missing something here.

If you got serious flooding in Houston or Philadelphia, you go inland and get to dry land, but if you got serious flooding in Singapore when you try to go inland you end up at the water because IT'S AN ISLAND. It’s also an island the has increased in size by about 20% in the last 40 years. Why is this?? Could it be because they are pushing dirt into the ocean in order to expand the size of the island. No, can't be.

An Island that has more trade and money going through it than probably all but five or ten cities mentioned. Goforthetie, You got to be backing me up on this, but the rest of this game is played under protest.

It's bad enough that the so-called representatives of what is the Slavic languages (I’m sure they are a group of racists) discriminate against the Albanians, but this is reprehensible. :twisted:
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I thought the General Assembly question would pick from the used answers (next alphabetically after Croatia). For example, India (+1 point) in question 8.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Sherm wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:Of all the cities not on this list, Venice is the most surprising to me. Fortunately for you two, Naples made it instead, although as someone who has been there numerous times, I'd place Mount Vesuvius, lack of garbage collection, and the Camora as bigger threats to Naples than rising sea levels.
OK, the fix is in. Venice probably isn't on the list because the question discusses large financial impacts. Venice may well disappear in a flood but I don't know that the city has the GDP of a city like.....oh, I don't know.....How about Singapore? Or as I will call it from now on Fricking Singapore!!!
Venice isn't threatened by rising sea levels; it's threatened by falling ground levels. 8-)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Sherm wrote: OK, the fix is in. Venice probably isn't on the list because the question discusses large financial impacts. Venice may well disappear in a flood but I don't know that the city has the GDP of a city like.....oh, I don't know.....How about Singapore? Or as I will call it from now on Fricking Singapore!!!

Are you kidding me!!!!!! It's one of the busiest port cities in the world, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it’s an island. You know. By definition, Does that not make it surrounded by water?????? I mean, Am I missing something here.
I feel your pain. As I went around the globe thinking of big coastal cities with significant economic activity, S'pore was high on my list. I dismissed it as being too obvious (hah!) and went for what I felt was also a sure thing: Karachi, a coastal city of 23,000,000 in a country that can ill afford a significant economic hit. So, India and Bangladesh are in, Pakistan is out. Bah! :(
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Wow, I thought the US and the Netherlands would be the two "obvious" correct answers for the coastal flooding one. Turns out one of them wasn't even correct.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:I thought the General Assembly question would pick from the used answers (next alphabetically after Croatia). For example, India (+1 point) in question 8.
Yes, but North Korea sits in the Ds as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. The way they are alphabetized in the UN, North Korea would come first.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Apparently the study only considered cities from a list of 136. Venice was not one of them.

Also, of the three categories, only one really dealt with future projections - the first two are just current flood risk overall and as percentage of GDP (given current preparations). For the last list of 20, it was made under the assumption that the cities would increase their preparations (seawalls, etc) in proportion to the sea level rise, so cities that are well-fortified would remain so. If you remove that assumption then Singapore jumps up to 6th on the list, if I'm reading the article's appendix correctly - since the question didn't specify, perhaps that is grounds for revisiting the scoring?
dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:I thought the General Assembly question would pick from the used answers (next alphabetically after Croatia). For example, India (+1 point) in question 8.
Yes, but North Korea sits in the Ds as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. The way they are alphabetized in the UN, North Korea would come first.
Wouldn't Cuba be the General Assembly choice here?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

dhkendall wrote:
tjconn728 wrote: 3 points - Kyrgyzstan (Russian)
Vanya
immaf
dhkendall
I had a feeling I wouldn't singleton here, but as a Sporcler I couldn't resist. (And I'm sure Vanya and immaf were thinking similar)
tjconn728 wrote:10 points - INCORRECT ANSWERS

Estonia (Estonian)
ElendilPickle
Wikipedia tells me that Estonian "belongs to the Finnic branch of the Uralic language family."
ElendilPickle might have thought that Russian was also an official language of Estonia. Despite nearly a quarter of Estonia's population being Russian (the largest minority by far), Russian isn't an official language, possibly as a whole "complete break with Soviet times" thing.
Actually, it was just a WAG. I'd thought of Ukraine and a couple others, but decided to go with something I thought would be unique - and I was right! :D
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Woof wrote:
Sherm wrote: I would love for someone to explain to me how Croatian is a Slavic language but Albanian is not? Of course, if someone explains this, I should in turn have to explain why I decided to pick Albania over Croatia for the answer to the question, and I cannot.
Albanian is kind of the Tuatara of the linguistic phylogenetic tree: it, along with Armenian, are in branches by themselves in the tree of Indo-European languages. Serbo-Croatian is a language of the Southern Slavs, which takes in most of the former Yugoslavia as well as Bulgaria.
Asking how Croatian is Slavic and Albanian is not is like asking how Swedish is Germanic and Finnish is not. Even if you don't know a word of any of those languages, look at any text written in one of them and have Google translate it to another language from the group in question (say, Slovak for Slavic and German for Germanic). It will be obvious that for one language, quite a few words are still recognizable, while for the other, no word has remained even remotely similar.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:10 points - INCORRECT ANSWERS

Estonia (Estonian)
ElendilPickle
Wikipedia tells me that Estonian "belongs to the Finnic branch of the Uralic language family."
ElendilPickle might have thought that Russian was also an official language of Estonia. Despite nearly a quarter of Estonia's population being Russian (the largest minority by far), Russian isn't an official language, possibly as a whole "complete break with Soviet times" thing.
Latvia has a higher percentage of ethnic Russians, and the difference used to be greater, but there has been a huge exodus of Russians from Latvia, so their share has fallen from 34% after the dissolution of the USSR to about 27% today.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I thought it picked from all correct answers, used or not.