Monday, July 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, July 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

I'm convinced that Mark Runsvold is the real deal. This is the first time that any Jeopardy! champion has had back-to-back wins of $48,000 or more since November 24 and 25 of 2004, right near the end of Ken Jennings's original run. Ken won $55,099 on November 24, and $50,000 on the 25.

It seems to me that there's a little bit of Kermin Fleming to Mark Runsvold. I see in him Kermin's supreme self-confidence and nerves of steel, and so far his play in the Double Jeopardy! round has been magnificent.

I really want to see Anthony Fox make it into the next Tournament of Champions, but if Mark Runsvold continues to maintain this standard of play then there can be little doubt that he deserves to make the field. Maybe if he retains his title as champion until autumn... :-)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Is "hundredth" an ordinal number? Seems to me you need something before it, like "one" or "two".

My map of Asia is nowhere near as fresh as it used to be, so I wrongly guessed Mongolia.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Um, wow is all I can say. $103,000 in 2 days? This man has balls of steel (sorry, can't say nerves now). He is the real deal. KenJenningsFan74: Same on wanting Anthony Fox in the ToC, but if this keeps up, its not going to happen, since he's the bubble contestant. That was a scary start too. Double Jeopardy made Mark boom there, especially with those DD wagers. (Smart move on the $800 DD too).

As for myself, could only muster 18/30 in the stressful Jeopardy Round. Double Jeopardy went right back to Friday strength, took 25 of 30. Final Jeopardy was pretty easy, thought Mongolia at first then switched to China, seeing Mongolia only hits 2 of the 3.

If Mark makes the ToC, Roger & Tom Nissley, look out. :)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

I had an average game tonight, but was more focused on watching Mark's amazing performance. Speaking of which, when is the TOC?

FJ was a near instaget, but geography is one of my strongest categories.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Mark Runsvold: $39,200+$15,800=$55,000
Jerry Hou: $9,100+$8,000=$17,100
Karawan Meade: $8,400-$5,000=$3,400

World Geography
Of the 4 largest Asian countries in area, it's the only one that borders the other 3.
Spoiler
What is China? Karawan said Russia. Alex didn't tell us what the 4 were, but they are actually 1. Russia 2. China 3. India 4. Kazakhstan, followed by Indonesia, Iran, and Mongolia. Russia, China, and Kazakhstan all border each other, but only China also borders India.
econgator wrote:Is "hundredth" an ordinal number? Seems to me you need something before it, like "one" or "two".
I had the same thought about hundredth. As the Daily Double was being read, I was frantically looking for a number that started with "h", and began to panic when I couldn't find one. Then "hundredth" popped into my head, and I really questioned whether it was truly an ordinal number, but having no other possible answer it was clearly what I would be going with.

I don't have a whole lot to say about Mark's second performance tonight, other than "Wow!". Once again he was facing two opponents that were more than game, but he just left them in the dust in Double Jeopardy. The pre-FJ combined score of all 3 players was $56,700, down from $59,600 on Friday's show, but once again higher than the $54,000 combined value of all the clues on the board. I have a feeling that Mark is going to be pretty tough to beat if he keeps finding all the Daily Doubles, at least in DJ. I'm sure eventually he'll have to miss one, and if he keeps making bets as large as he has been, it could prove costly. It may take a big miss like that just to let another player have a shot to catch him in FJ.

I liked today's boards, with a wordplay category in each round, plus TV and movie categories that were right up my alley. I got 36/60, but it seemed like I could have done better. French Composers, Women in Science, and the name the book category were a not exactly my cup of tea it seems.

Congrats again to Mark, and let's see you hit $60,000 tomorrow!
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

econgator wrote:Is "hundredth" an ordinal number? Seems to me you need something before it, like "one" or "two".
I think you have a point there. Sometimes you might hear someone say "that's the hundredth time I've done that", but I'm not sure if that is grammatically correct (i.e. perhaps it ought to be "one hundredth").
econgator wrote:My map of Asia is nowhere near as fresh as it used to be, so I wrongly guessed Mongolia.
I knew it wasn't Mongolia, because it borders only Russia and China, nothing else, if I recall recorrectly. I was thinking that the 4 countries would be Russia, China, India, and Kazakhstan. I was pretty sure that Kazakhstan doesn't border India as there are some other -stans in the way, and I know Russia doesn't border India, so that left me with China.
KenJenningsFan74 wrote:I'm convinced that Mark Runsvold is the real deal
Early in the game, I thought perhaps it was going to be Jerry Hou's night. What better category could a conductor ask for than French Composers, and he even got the Jeopardy round Daily Double. Both Jerry and Karawan Meade stayed competitive during the Jeopardy round, but Mark Runsvold took a commanding lead in the Double Jeopardy round.

Mark made good use of both Daily Doubles in the second round, using the first to take the lead and the second to really put the game away, wagering $8,200 without even risking his lead, and on a second row clue. Kudos to Mark for an impressive game! I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more.
cshort
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by cshort »

I picked up a TS or two tonight (don't recall which ones), but I'll still be rooting for the challengers the next couple nights. Nothing personal, naturally :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
I think you have a point there. Sometimes you might hear someone say "that's the hundredth time I've done that", but I'm not sure if that is grammatically correct (i.e. perhaps it ought to be "one hundredth").
Actually, I think that "hundreth" is a special kind of ordinal number, up there with "zillionth" ("one hundredth" is a more exact number, and is rarely, if ever, used in BigDaddyJ's example). What would "numbers" like "zillionth" and "jillionth" be called if not "ordinal numbers"? (and what of real numbers, like "billionth" and "millionth" used in the sense of hyperbole like in the example?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Was anyone else surprised by the 'icthy' question, when we just had a DD regarding icthyphobia last week?

I guessed Mongolia for FJ - need to brush up on my Asian geography. Didn't track my scores tonight, though, I was too busy being impressed by Mark. Slow start, but he certainly made up for it in DJ. I love the fact that he bets aggressively. (Too often I'm sitting on the couch calling players wusses after their wager.) Looking forward to tomorrow's game!
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

said Mongoila for FJ, then looked at the atlas and was surprised about how small it is. Would have never guessed Kazikstan (sp) for one of the 4 largest countries in Asia.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woppy T wrote:said Mongoila for FJ, then looked at the atlas and was surprised about how small it is. Would have never guessed Kazikstan (sp) for one of the 4 largest countries in Asia.
Mongolia's actually quite big, 19th largest country in the world, and the largest truly landlocked country in the world (that is, if you don't count Kazakhstan, which is bigger and on water, but it's on the Caspian Sea).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

This was my first day watching J! live in about two weeks (don't ask), so it was a treat to get to see this kind of masterful performance. After seeing (via the thread) how well Mark did on Friday, I was rooting for him today, and that stellar DJ! round for him didn't leave me disappointed. I really liked his playing style, and I hope he keeps his streak going.

Swept Common Bond Foods and the TV category. My little brother made me chuckle when he said "Quidditch" for the Leslie Nielsen curling clue. (I had my own moment a few minutes later when I said Jacques Cousteau instead of Rachel Carson in, let's see, the WOMEN in Science category. :D) These were some nice boards for me today.

Went for China straight off the bat in FJ, then spent 30 seconds nearly second-guessing myself and going for something else. When Alex said it probably wasn't the obvious one, I panicked because I thought China seemed too obvious. Russia I usually think of being more European, so it never really entered my mind too much (I thought of it, but brushed it pretty quickly aside).
benjiman
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by benjiman »

Add me to the list of people impressed with Mark. I certainly would dread going up against him.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Friday showed the potential for Mark to do what he did tonight. It's all about the DJ round as the close first round meant nothing.

Put me in the 18 & 25 club for correct clues to exactly match Adam. I should have had 26, but I chickened on Rachel Carson.

Mark could only lose tonight with the Zerg triple whammy of 2 missed DDs and a missed FJ. 28,000 lost if the DDs were missed still leads him leading with 11,200. It's early to put Mark in the TOC even as strong as he has been so far. I've seen super back-to-back opening wins with the champ getting derailed in the third one. Kary Coryat with how Don did him in is a good example: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1070

The FJ clue had me trying to figure out the big four. I had Russia, China, India, Mongolia and Kazakhstan as the five possibles. To me India had to be one of them. With Russia in no way touching India they were out. Was I sure that China touched both Russia and India, yes. To me, it didn't matter if the fourth was Kazakhstan or Mongolia. China was a lock to border each.

There are many other places the clue could have asked about and I would have been guessing. I felt fortunate the clue asked about a section I could figure out.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

19/19 game myself, and I know I'd be trounced...don't think my buzzer-fu is anywhere that good.
China came instantly, double checked Kazakhstan's borders, stuck with China. (Checking India would've been faster, it borders 6 and only one of them comes close to being one of Asia's Top Four...)

I know one TS I picked up was (Ann Francis stars in...) Forbidden Planet. Otherwise it was a blur, keeping up with answering, scoring and the rest. Good game.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Friday showed the potential for Mark to do what he did tonight. It's all about the DJ round as the close first round meant nothing.

Put me in the 18 & 25 club for correct clues to exactly match Adam. I should have had 26, but I chickened on Rachel Carson.

Mark could only lose tonight with the Zerg triple whammy of 2 missed DDs and a missed FJ. 28,000 lost if the DDs were missed still leads him leading with 11,200. It's early to put Mark in the TOC even as strong as he has been so far. I've seen super back-to-back opening wins with the champ getting derailed in the third one. Kary Coryat with how Don did him in is a good example: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1070

The FJ clue had me trying to figure out the big four. I had Russia, China, India, Mongolia and Kazakhstan as the five possibles. To me India had to be one of them. With Russia in no way touching India they were out. Was I sure that China touched both Russia and India, yes. To me, it didn't matter if the fourth was Kazakhstan or Mongolia. China was a lock to border each.

There are many other places the clue could have asked about and I would have been guessing. I felt fortunate the clue asked about a section I could figure out.
It was good to finally be able to watch the show again after finally replacing my DVR.

My thought process on solving the FJ was similar to Mark Barrett's.

I had 24 correct in the first round and 26 in the second round (picked up lach trash with Shirley Jackson and "Forbidden Planet").

Someone commented that Mark is unbeatable if he keeps hitting the DD's. That's why it's malpractice for his opponents not to make any effort to search for them . . .
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

My goodness. Is this kid the real deal? You can't do much better than he's done in his two games thus far.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jeopardy's cup runneth over this season.

Now I'm disappointed Mark didn't go for $60,000! And he misses the #3 single-day regular game score by under $100.

I said China, and figured that the other three were Russia, India, and Kazakhstan, but I felt shaky on the last one, and over whether China bordered it. But China had to be the only country bordering both Russia and India, and you can't go wrong on a clue like that with a nation that calls itself "central country."