Monday, July 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Monday, July 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by chuck5982 »

seaborgium wrote:Jeopardy's cup runneth over this season.

Now I'm disappointed Mark didn't go for $60,000! And he misses the #3 single-day regular game score by under $100.
So....

1. Roger Craig, $77,000, 9/14/10
2. Ken Jennings, $75,000, 7/23/04
3. Ken Jennings, $55,099, 11/24/04
4. Mark Runsvold, $55,000, 7/18/11
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Andy Richter had no reason not to go big, entering FJ with a wide lock at $39k with a minimum guarantee of $50k to his charity for winning. Regular players (except for Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in their fifth games, because of the $75k cap in place at that time) have to choose to risk losing money that they could otherwise walk out with.

Mark Born earned $29,400 (or so) in a single game, and I want to say Michael Daunt also cleared Kevin Frear's big score, but I'm not sure about that one off the top of my head.

edit: looks like he tied with Kevin. Also, you forgot Doug Lach's $32,400.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:Andy Richter had no reason not to go big, entering FJ with a wide lock at $39k with a minimum guarantee of $50k to his charity for winning. Regular players (except for Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in their fifth games, because of the $75k cap in place at that time) have to choose to risk losing money that they could otherwise walk out with.

Mark Born earned $29,400 (or so) in a single game, and I want to say Michael Daunt also cleared Kevin Frear's big score, but I'm not sure about that one off the top of my head.

edit: looks like he tied with Kevin. Also, you forgot Doug Lach's $32,400.
Please don't feed the troll, Stefan. :P
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
The FJ clue had me trying to figure out the big four. I had Russia, China, India, Mongolia and Kazakhstan as the five possibles. To me India had to be one of them. With Russia in no way touching India they were out. Was I sure that China touched both Russia and India, yes. To me, it didn't matter if the fourth was Kazakhstan or Mongolia. China was a lock to border each.
I'm not sure I could come up with the biggest four countries on any continent of the big five, so right there that's a tough FJ. I came up with China, Russia, India, and a huge mark on my head from all the scratching to come up with the 4th. I also eliminated China and Russia (not touching each other) but just couldn't come up with a big 4th country with any confidence. I ended up guessing Afghanistan, and all I can say is I hope that wasn't as terrible a guess as it could have been.

Wowie, wow, wow wow! That is one impressive champion. He can't, I mean just CAN'T keep racking up $40-50K wins, can he? Can he?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had no idea what the #4 country was, but like everyone else, I knew China bordered India but russia didn't, so that made it simple.

Out of town for work this week. The show is on a My TV affiliate in Atlanta, which my hotel didn't get, so I just now saw all this week's shows. Dominating perprmance by Mark.
Karawan

Post by Karawan »

Hello, all. This is Karawan who played in this game. I'm new to this forum but was curious to hear other people's thoughts. I may come back later with some other comments, but for now just let me say that I'm so glad to hear people mentioning Kazakhstan. That was what tripped me up and caused me to change my answer from China to Russia halfway through. But later on when I was explaining my thought process to a few friends and family members they all looked at me like I was crazy for even thinking about Kazakhstan.

Of course, as a schoolteacher who is always telling students to trust their instincts and remember that their first response is usually correct I should have heeded my own advice... oh well.

(Hi, Samer. I enjoyed watching you yesterday! I was sorry that I didn't get to stay and watch your game in person. And hi, Mark. Congratulations again! My friends here in MA were all very impressed with you as they watched the show this week.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If it makes you feel better, Karawan, I went with Kazakhstan as well. And I usually know my geography so well. Sorry to have been late in getting you on the board (trying to defeat the spammers), but welcome aboard!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:If it makes you feel better, Karawan, I went with Kazakhstan as well. And I usually know my geography so well. Sorry to have been late in getting you on the board (trying to defeat the spammers), but welcome aboard!
I started off on Kazakhstan, but then thought that Mongolia was larger, so I went from wrong to wronger. :)
markrunsvold
Contributor

Post by markrunsvold »

Karawan wrote:Hello, all. This is Karawan who played in this game. I'm new to this forum but was curious to hear other people's thoughts. I may come back later with some other comments, but for now just let me say that I'm so glad to hear people mentioning Kazakhstan. That was what tripped me up and caused me to change my answer from China to Russia halfway through. But later on when I was explaining my thought process to a few friends and family members they all looked at me like I was crazy for even thinking about Kazakhstan.

Of course, as a schoolteacher who is always telling students to trust their instincts and remember that their first response is usually correct I should have heeded my own advice... oh well.

(Hi, Samer. I enjoyed watching you yesterday! I was sorry that I didn't get to stay and watch your game in person. And hi, Mark. Congratulations again! My friends here in MA were all very impressed with you as they watched the show this week.)
Greetings, Karawan! Thanks for the kind words. It took me awhile to settle on China. I thought Russia and China were givens, but Kazakhstan and Mongolia came to mind seconds before I got to India (which was really the key, I think). China connected India and Russia while allowing for either of my other two candidates to be in the top four. In short, nothing crazy about Kazakhstan!