WWTBAM next week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

WWTBAM next week

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
This comes from a post on Invision. It's not known what day, or whether it will be first or second episodes in the double run(probably first episode, and the second episode is supposed to be reruns of the first week of first run shows), but a million dollar question will be seen next week on WWTBAM. It will be the first one Cedric has asked, and the first one seen in four years on the show(IIRC during the November 2009 Tournament of Ten). Word is the contestant got to $100K with two jumps remaining and got to see the Million DOllar question.
MarkBarrett

Re: WWTBAM next week

Post by MarkBarrett »

Plenty of players could have had all three lifelines remaining from the stack yesterday: http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45410

Those seemed to be screaming that the show wanted a good moment for Cedric. She was just too young to take advantage of it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I didn't see her stack, but from her description (and the way she played) I can assume she got on pretty much on looks alone.
JTQs are far more valuable than ATA. ATA would've given her either one of the Qs she jumped early on, but was worthless for the one she walked on. ATA is pretty much a crapshoot for anything not involving pop culture.
I would've jumped the Wendy's one. Never heard of the practice. While one can infer Frosty is the correct answer as that's the only Wendy's specific product, the other three aren't implausible, and all 4 are disgusting. Wouldn't trust ATA on anything so esoteric, either. Of course if I hadn't used it yet, it wouldn't be much good later. So I might've used it to see if they gave me a consensus.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Paucle wrote:I didn't see her stack, but from her description (and the way she played) I can assume she got on pretty much on looks alone.
JTQs are far more valuable than ATA. ATA would've given her either one of the Qs she jumped early on, but was worthless for the one she walked on. ATA is pretty much a crapshoot for anything not involving pop culture.
I would've jumped the Wendy's one. Never heard of the practice. While one can infer Frosty is the correct answer as that's the only Wendy's specific product, the other three aren't implausible, and all 4 are disgusting. Wouldn't trust ATA on anything so esoteric, either. Of course if I hadn't used it yet, it wouldn't be much good later. So I might've used it to see if they gave me a consensus.
I wouldn't agree with that. It has to be "Frosty" because the question is about Wendy's - why mention Wendy's, versus Burger King or somewhere else, otherwise? This is something that got 100,000 likes on Facebook, after all. If you want to do get high up the ladder on that show, you pretty much have to make an inference like that, or two.

I also disagree that the ATA is worthless there. I have no doubt that the audience would come back 80%+ for Wendy's.

JTQ is huge, as witnessed by the lady going for a million next week... despite only having made it to 100K "really." BTW, I assume this means that, if she walks away, she only gets 100K, yes? It would seem ridiculous to give her 500K despite not knowing the 250K or 500K questions! But this is Cedric-hosted Syndiebam, so maybe it's possible?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I didn't say ATA was worthless on that; I said I wouldn't trust it (preliminarily). But if it comes back with your estimated %? Hell to the yeah I'm picking it.
Austin Powers wrote:why mention Wendy's, versus Burger King or somewhere else, otherwise?
Because Wendy's is where it happens? Sure, perhaps the reason it happens at Wendy's is because it's a Frosty. But I don't know that. It's just not something that's hit my radar yet. Maybe they put Frosty in there as "get offa my show" bait?
Do I suspect Frosty is the correct answer? I do. Do I put the gun to my head and pull the trigger? I do not. A lot of people inferring a lot of things have left WWTBAM with $0.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Austin Powers wrote:BTW, I assume this means that, if she walks away, she only gets 100K, yes? It would seem ridiculous to give her 500K despite not knowing the 250K or 500K questions! But this is Cedric-hosted Syndiebam, so maybe it's possible?
Excellent question! I infer (henh) that since you don't earn JTQ money down below, you wouldn't earn it up top.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Paucle wrote:I didn't see her stack, but from her description (and the way she played) I can assume she got on pretty much on looks alone.
Except the ATA -was- right for the one she walked on. :D

And you consider dipping fries in lemonade, iced tea or coffee..."plausible"?

The only dipping sauce I can possibly think of for fries that is of watery consistency is malt vinegar. Everything else I can come up with (ketchup, ranch, mayonnaise, sweet and sour, restaurant custom sauce, buffalo, honey mustard) has some body to it that gloms to the fry, rather than just soaks in.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

If you've never dipped french fries in a Frosty, then please don't call it disgusting. :D

That is of course assuming that you like french fries and like frosties. Like peanut butter and chocolate, those two.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Volante wrote:Except the ATA was right for the one she walked on.
Yes- but not overwhelming. It was a plurality, not a majority.
Volante also wrote:And you consider dipping fries in lemonade, iced tea or coffee..."plausible"?
As plausible as dipping in a frosty, yes. All equally retch-producing.
legendneverdies

The big moment scheduled this week will not air today(it airs on the first episode in a double-run market)
legendneverdies

Spoiler
Josina Reaves was the contestant. SHe carried over from yesterday's show into today's show. She had both jumps left after she got the $100K question right. SHe jumped over the $250K and $500K, and saw the million dollar question. First million dollar question seen in four years(tournament of Ten on Meredith version and Ken Basin's MDQ seen in August 2009 on the last ABC primetime run). First MDQ seen in the current "shuffle" format. She went for the $1M question. Question was essentially to pick which of these four items Nostradamus talked about in a 1555 treatise: Cheating at Cards, Digging Graves, Making Jam and Jelly, training parrots to talk. She said Digging Graves, but it was making Jams and Jellies. She becomes the second contestant to go for and then miss the MDQ in the US version, discounting the TOurnament of Ten, leaving with $25K
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Are all million dollar Qs like that on millionaire now? 25% guess with no hope of anyone knowing?
I think Nostradamus could've been the contestant and had trouble remembering which was right.
Also, once seeing it are you committed? Or can you walk with what you have?
(What were the jumped questions?)
legendneverdies

Paucle wrote:Are all million dollar Qs like that on millionaire now? 25% guess with no hope of anyone knowing?
I think Nostradamus could've been the contestant and had trouble remembering which was right.
Also, once seeing it are you committed? Or can you walk with what you have?
(What were the jumped questions?)
YOu can see the question before you decide to walk away.
Spoiler
$100K question was what company would have had had their names reversed if not for a fateful coin toss(Baskin-Robbins, she got that right for $100K). $250K question was during the Freedom 7 in 1961, due in part to an orange juice spill, what astronaut was the first to wet their space suit in space(Armstong, Aldrin, Glenn, and Shepard were the choices, she jumped, answer was SHepard). $500K was name the subject of the first Biography on A&E when it bowed on 4/6/87(Josephine Baker was the correct answer, SHirley Temple, Greta Garbo, and Lucille Ball were the other choices, she jumped)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

So she took a 25% chance to gain $75,000? Guess she didn't really need the extra money.
250k was easy. I would've jumped 500k too.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote:So she took a 25% chance to gain $75,000? Guess she didn't really need the extra money.
25% chance to gain $75,000? Where are you getting those numbers?
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Paucle wrote:So she took a 25% chance to gain $75,000? Guess she didn't really need the extra money.
Wasn't It a 25% chance to go from 100k to 1m? Seems like a reasonable gamble. Unless she got 500k for skipping two Q's.

I think you could do a decent job sussing out that question though, maybe not to risking the cash but still some logic could cast doubt on the wrong answers.
Spoiler
I would have eliminated digging graves simply because, as far as I know, gravediggers were a marginalized profession in that time period. Although Nostradamus had solid royal connections, the sheer rarity of tropical birds would put that kind of treatise in doubt for me. I don't know if someone known for his prophecies would want his image associated with fraud either.
Also. I'm stunned so many are acting flummoxed at a frosty-fry combo. I thought that was common knowledge and sweet/salty isn't a bizarre flavor combo.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Some people haven't been keeping up on their Cracked reading!
(Now, whether or not this came out before or after taping, I don't know...)

http://www.cracked.com/article_20512_6- ... -them.html ; #5
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jeff6286 wrote:25% chance to gain $75,000? Where are you getting those numbers?
Brain fart. I was trying to look at it from all angles. In the end, to me, taking a blind 25% chance to win the million isn't worth the guaranteed 100k. I can do a lot more good with the 100k in hand than the 25k remaining after 75k flies off in a wrong answer.
Fishercat wrote:I would have eliminated digging graves simply because, as far as I know, gravediggers were a marginalized profession in that time period.
And the wild horde from the land of split rivers
descend upon the fertile valley seeking slaves
but the valley dwellers unite, their unity delivers
and the invaders are digging their own graves

The question didn't ask about what he predicted, but what he talked about. Big difference.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote:
Brain fart. I was trying to look at it from all angles. In the end, to me, taking a blind 25% chance to win the million isn't worth the guaranteed 100k. I can do a lot more good with the 100k in hand than the 25k remaining after 75k flies off in a wrong answer.
Risking $75K to gain $900K is awfully tempting, especially if you feel confident in eliminating one or two of the choices. Even if you can eliminate one choice, and feel that it's a 1 in 3 proposition, you're getting 12 to 1 odds on your $75K, which are odds that no gambler would ever walk away from. It may stink to have lost the $75K, but imagine how much worse it would feel if your instinct was right and you walked away from what would have been a million.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

jeff6286 wrote:
Paucle wrote:
Risking $75K to gain $900K is awfully tempting, especially if you feel confident in eliminating one or two of the choices. Even if you can eliminate one choice, and feel that it's a 1 in 3 proposition, you're getting 12 to 1 odds on your $75K, which are odds that no gambler would ever walk away from. It may stink to have lost the $75K, but imagine how much worse it would feel if your instinct was right and you walked away from what would have been a million.
11 to 1