The Jeopardy! Contestant Library Catalog

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: The Jeopardy! Contestant Library Catalog

Post by Carpe Diem »

The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found by Gary Fuller
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Carpe Diem wrote:The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found by Gary Fuller
Thanks, Carpe Diem! Does anyone know when Mr. Fuller appeared on the show? He does not yet appear to be in the Archive. Rather than describing him as "a Jeopardy! champion," the promotional material for his book describes him as "A former winning contestant on the TV program Jeopardy!"; I am wondering if that rather Victorian phrasing is a hint that he was on the Fleming version.

Looks like a fun book!

Rex
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

I'm published multiple times under both names, but not anything anyone would want to read.

"Comment is free" stuff doesn't count, I'm sure. Though they do pay.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

ThatDarnCat wrote:I'm published multiple times under both names, but not anything anyone would want to read.

"Comment is free" stuff doesn't count, I'm sure. Though they do pay.
Desirability is not a requirement. I am, after all, hoping to make the list myself someday.

Can I assume everything that seems historical/instructional/biographical under either name in Amazon.com is you, then? There seems to be a certain consistency.

Rex
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

Yup. All commissioned stuff, "hey can you give us 8K words on...oh...Jerry West?"

For one of them I did manage to summarize the Mahabharata in < 2500 words. In some ways that was my greatest achievement in writing.

There's other bloggy stuff floating around. I used to do stuff on Tiger Beatdown now and again.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ThatDarnCat wrote:Yup. All commissioned stuff, "hey can you give us 8K words on...oh...Jerry West?"

For one of them I did manage to summarize the Mahabharata in < 2500 words. In some ways that was my greatest achievement in writing.
That certainly beats Peter Brook's attempt, though I'm not sure that your version would have been as entertaining as his.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

ThatDarnCat wrote:Yup. All commissioned stuff, "hey can you give us 8K words on...oh...Jerry West?"

There's other bloggy stuff floating around. I used to do stuff on Tiger Beatdown now and again.
Wow, now that I've entered your biblio, I see that you're quite the chronicler of Pestilence, War, Conquest, and Sudden Death.

Let me know if the attribution format works for you.

Rex
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

Wow. I don't even have a list like that. Glad to see both the Indian and the Native American books finally got in print (one or the other was delayed).

Interesting that they ended up smooshing together all the disease books.

For the record, I didn't have co-authors; the ones listed were revisions that they didn't ask me to do. The constitution books I actually got royalties for, which was neat.

I had different subtitles for the Nazi books when I was writing them, ones that were much more derogatory. Those were some awful people.
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

Oh, format is fine I guess. They were all published under Name v. 1.0, but when they reprinted those last two my editor changed the name, bless her.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

I'm thinking about writing something Jeopardy! related although I'm not sure it would make a book.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Don't forget Linda Sue Park and Tom Baker.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

jpahk wrote:linda sue park was on jeopardy?? whoa. we have a lot of her books. i knew she was a fan of the show, but didn't realize she had been a contestant. my wife's aunt met her at a bookstore signing event shortly after my run and apparently i was a subject of discussion.

there was a guy on in season 28 who wrote a book about traffic. he talked about it in his interview. tom vanderbilt, apparently. here's the thread.
I just bought her book for the 39 Clues "Trust No One" on Thursday.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ahirbhairav wrote:
jpahk wrote:linda sue park was on jeopardy?? whoa. we have a lot of her books. i knew she was a fan of the show, but didn't realize she had been a contestant. my wife's aunt met her at a bookstore signing event shortly after my run and apparently i was a subject of discussion.

there was a guy on in season 28 who wrote a book about traffic. he talked about it in his interview. tom vanderbilt, apparently. here's the thread.
I just bought her book for the 39 Clues "Trust No One" on Thursday.
Our nine-year-old son is most of the way through the first book (the incentive was that it was written by Rick Riordan, his favorite author at the moment). We have the first 10 (I think) books in the series, so I'll keep an eye out for Book 5.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

For Stephen King I think 11/22/63 and Joyland should be added. Things he has written only for the Kindle and other such devices is more debatable.

With King and Clancy on the list the next most deserving of a spot is Bob Woodward? Regis, Rosie, and Carol Burnett along with many other celebrity players have written books. Perhaps two sections divided by regular players and celebrity players?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

ahirbhairav wrote:Don't forget Linda Sue Park and Tom Baker.
Linda Sue Park was not forgotten. What did Tom Baker write?

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

MarkBarrett wrote:For Stephen King I think 11/22/63 and Joyland should be added. Things he has written only for the Kindle and other such devices is more debatable.

With King and Clancy on the list the next most deserving of a spot is Bob Woodward? Regis, Rosie, and Carol Burnett along with many other celebrity players have written books. Perhaps two sections divided by regular players and celebrity players?
Thanks for the King additions. I am happy to add Woodward, Regis, and any other celebrity authors; I am just depending on good people like yourself to point them out to me.

Rex
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Tom Baker wrote Tokyo Chic and co-authored another book which was in his ToC yearbook entry that I can't remember.

Great contestant, by the way. I think it's a shame that he wasn't selected. I would have loved to hear what it's like for an American journalist to live abroad (in this case, Tokyo).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

ahirbhairav wrote:Tom Baker wrote Tokyo Chic and co-authored another book which was in his ToC yearbook entry that I can't remember.

Great contestant, by the way. I think it's a shame that he wasn't selected. I would have loved to hear what it's like for an American journalist to live abroad (in this case, Tokyo).

With the TOC champs, five women and the fan favorite locked in for 12 places that leaves:

Ken Jennings
Tom Kavanaugh
Keith Whitener

Nothing against Tom, but just curious: Who would you have removed for 3-time champ Tom Baker?
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

MarkBarrett wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:Tom Baker wrote Tokyo Chic and co-authored another book which was in his ToC yearbook entry that I can't remember.

With the TOC champs, five women and the fan favorite locked in for 12 places that leaves:

Ken Jennings
Tom Kavanaugh
Keith Whitener

Nothing against Tom, but just curious: Who would you have removed for 3-time champ Tom Baker?
Kavanaugh. Even though Tom was a 3-timer, still won $100K in there. If not confirmed then at least a Fan Fav nominee.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Bumped to welcome Gillian Chan (and to solicit additions/changes if needed).

Rex