For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

WJMorris3
Contributor

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by WJMorris3 »

Would not mind an invite myself.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

WJMorris3 wrote:Would not mind an invite myself.
Too late now. Next round of invites goes out sometime in mid-July, I'd guess.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Actually I believe you can invite anyone anytime, but it won't get confirmed until July.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

I'm off to a good start this week. And by good, I mean not good at all. (I'm the guy in Rundle R Frontier Div. 2 with the flag that has a green square in a light blue background, for you all to point and laugh at me.)
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Hey, so I'm a bit out of the LLoop, what is this exactly?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote:Man, did I just give away three points today.

(and again, *snicker*)
I was right ... and it cost me the win. Geez.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I managed to eke out a tie on good defense today. That made partially made up for losing on defense earlier this week.

And to answer Wheatley's question, http://www.learnedleague.com.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Did any of us get that Woolworth question yesterday? I sure didn't.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

econgator wrote:Did any of us get that Woolworth question yesterday? I sure didn't.
Nope. Before my time, I guess - I've heard the expression "poor little rich girl" but that was the extent of my knowledge - and IMO a little "trashy" to be considered American history. Guessed DuPont since it's a family that has had its share of black sheep.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
econgator wrote:Did any of us get that Woolworth question yesterday? I sure didn't.
Nope. Before my time, I guess - I've heard the expression "poor little rich girl" but that was the extent of my knowledge - and IMO a little "trashy" to be considered American history. Guessed DuPont since it's a family that has had its share of black sheep.
Yeah, I'd heard that phrase before, too, but nothing other than that. I was hoping for wordplay with serial/cereal and went with Kellogg.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
TryphonTournesol wrote:
Yeah, I'd heard that phrase before, too, but nothing other than that. I was hoping for wordplay with serial/cereal and went with Kellogg.
It was a clear miss for me, too, but fortunately also for my most formidable opponent BlishS :mrgreen:
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yeah, I just randomly guessed a prominent American company. Total stab in the dark. My random pick was not Woolworth.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

My guess was the MCW.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
Nope. Before my time, I guess - I've heard the expression "poor little rich girl" but that was the extent of my knowledge
I missed it and guessed Ford. I asked my wife if she knew about this (after submitting, of course) and she said she'd only heard of Gloria Vanderbilt referred to as "poor little rich girl."
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I have no idea how/why Woolworth entered my mind, but it did; I had essentially zero confidence in the answer when I submitted. Such a glorious feeling when that happens... makes up for all of the (much more frequent) reverse scenarios!
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

teapot37 wrote:My guess was the MCW.
Mine too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So does anyone have any pointers for defense? Cuz mine sucks!

Despite being 4th in TCA (3 have 27, I have 24), I'm 19th overall and 4th worst in TPA.
TryphonTournesol

econgator wrote:So does anyone have any pointers for defense? Cuz mine sucks!

Despite being 4th in TCA (3 have 27, I have 24), I'm 19th overall and 4th worst in TPA.
To some extent I think it just depends on your opponents. How's your defensive efficiency? For example, I've given up 11 more points than the guy who's leading the rundle, but my DE is actually better - it just happens that I've played stronger opponents so far, and so I'm just going to give up more points regardless of how well I assign on defense. (Also, since I'm in an R rundle, the numbers you get regarding an opponent's strengths are tough to take too seriously - small sample sizes and all that.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
econgator wrote:So does anyone have any pointers for defense? Cuz mine sucks!

To some extent I think it just depends on your opponents. How's your defensive efficiency? For example, I've given up 11 more points than the guy who's leading the rundle, but my DE is actually better - it just happens that I've played stronger opponents so far, and so I'm just going to give up more points regardless of how well I assign on defense. (Also, since I'm in an R rundle, the numbers you get regarding an opponent's strengths are tough to take too seriously - small sample sizes and all that.)
.500 DE

Like I said ... suck! :)
TryphonTournesol

econgator wrote:.500 DE

Like I said ... suck! :)
Okay, yeah, that's not so good. I mean, how do you assign the defensive values? Do you look at the correct percentages in certain categories for your opponent? Do you just assign based on which you thought were the toughest? A combination of things?