For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by econgator »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Figured the answer was in Canada, but said Juneau because I don't know enough to come up with the name of one Canadian city that I had any confidence was on the west coast.
There pretty much is only one Canadian city on the west coast, so it should be an easy list to memorize. :)
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

alietr wrote:I almost bit on Sun Records, then I started wondering why he would mention the sister's name. That's when I was able to put it together.
The only reason I knew it was because it was Otis Redding's record label.

Also, this bit of news is particularly timely: http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/12/1 ... usical.htm
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

econgator wrote:There pretty much is only one Canadian city on the west coast, so it should be an easy list to memorize. :)
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

alietr wrote:I almost bit on Sun Records, then I started wondering why he would mention the sister's name. That's when I was able to put it together.
I too attributed significance to the fact that the sister's name was included, but I saw it as confirmation of my guess of "Sun Records" since the name Estelle means star. :(

(NHO Stax, so no way that was happening in any case.)

I now teeter on the brink and am today up against the person in 5th place. Cue the tiny violins ....
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

I wouldn't have known Vancouver, except... it was a memorable question in my first Jeopardy! game. It was one of the last questions of Double Jeopardy, I was well ahead, kept silent, and the two women on either side of me tried answers (that happened to be wrong) in very reasonable attempts to make the game a non-runaway. Alex would have none of it and said 'Some bad guesses there.' He was rightly taken to task afterwards.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was able to dismiss Sun because I knew it was started by Col. Sam Phillips and was likely older than 1957. I then thought about Stax and a little light went on. Without the sister'so name for TOM, no chance.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

For satellite records I said sputnik (nho Stax).

I'd have to turn in my webfoot card if I missed George Vancouver.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

silverscreentest wrote:
econgator wrote:There pretty much is only one Canadian city on the west coast, so it should be an easy list to memorize. :)
I was thinking this, too. Although Victoria is pretty small by U.S. standards it is the 15th largest Canadian metro, so I think it qualifies as a "major city" especially since it's also the capital of B.C.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Also, are there not two cities on the west coast named for him?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:Also, are there not two cities on the west coast named for him?
Only one of them is major. The other is barely twice the size of Victoria.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Living five miles from Vancouver (Washington) helped me.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I'm not a huge Broadway geek by any means, but I got that question by knowing it was Saint something and then thinking of Broadway theaters that had a Saint in it. I was fortunate enough to have seen Lane and Broderick in The Producers at the St. James. Also, helping trigger it, Birdman was shot at the St. James.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

dhkendall wrote:...something like Santiago de Algunas Palabras en Español de pertinent saint's name de Chile or something.
A million points for this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-a.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My only visit to Canada was Victoria, but I still got Vancouver.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
I was thinking this, too. Although Victoria is pretty small by U.S. standards it is the 15th largest Canadian metro, so I think it qualifies as a "major city" especially since it's also the capital of B.C.
But the question said coast, and Victoria isn't on what I would call the coast, being on an island. Is Hobart on the "south-east coast" of Australia?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

No. Vancouver, WA is not on the coast.
Turd Ferguson wrote:But the question said coast, and Victoria isn't on what I would call the coast, being on an island.
So I guess New York is not on the east coast, either? Or maybe just The Bronx is. :)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:But the question said coast, and Victoria isn't on what I would call the coast, being on an island.
So I guess New York is not on the east coast, either? Or maybe just The Bronx is. :)
To me, there's a difference... you can't exactly walk to Victoria from the mainland.

I'll play, though. Was Napoleon sent to England's "Atlantic coast" after Waterloo? :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
No. Vancouver, WA is not on the coast.
So, I guess that make Brooklyn and Queens simultaneously on the east and west coasts.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think most people would consider Victoria to be on Canada's "west coast," but it's debatable for sure. Some people might think Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA are on the "west coast" of the U.S., but that seems like a stretch to me. They are both more than an hour drive away from the ocean. I think the city should at least border salt water to be considered "on the coast."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I think most people would consider Victoria to be on Canada's "west coast," but it's debatable for sure. Some people might think Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA are on the "west coast" of the U.S., but that seems like a stretch to me. They are both more than an hour drive away from the ocean. I think the city should at least border salt water to be considered "on the coast."
I would define west coast (and similarly for east coast) as anywhere in California, Oregon, or Washington. Portland and Vancouver are major ports; I think that also qualifies them as being coastal. I mean technically Seattle is a 2 hour drive from the ocean.