Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS

Post by Frank Hardy »

If there is a tie for the 15th spot in the ToC, it's broken by a mud rasslin' match! :o It's televised! :shock: I think they had one back in the '90s! :lol:
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Frank Hardy wrote:If there is a tie for the 15th spot in the ToC, it's broken by a mud rasslin' match! :o It's televised! :shock: I think they had one back in the '90s! :lol:
In that case, my money is on Linda!! :o :o :o
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

I was raised Catholic, but we never really "read" the bible.

My instinctive answer would have been "la pêche miraculeuse" which I would have written as down as "miracle fishing".

Would it have been accepted, I wonder?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:My first thought on FJ was "transubstantiation," but I was pretty sure that a) Jeopardy wouldn't open a can of worms with the Catholic church by referring to the bread and wine there as merely symbols of Jesus; and that b) it's not included among the seven miracles in John (I can't remember if the Last Supper even occurs in that gospel, and if it does, I don't think Jesus' "this is my body... this is my blood" counts as one of the miracles). Then I focused on trying to name a miracle that could be referred to succinctly (a similar thought process helped me get the "Checkers speech" FJ a couple years ago), and my mind went to the Sermon on the Mount; I knew that term didn't specifically refer to a miracle, and I moved on to "feeding the five thousand." Bread? Yes. Fish? Yes.
Have you forgotten they referred to a miracle as a "trick", and the outrage over that?

After the Monitor/Merrimac debacle, I thought, "These guys don't deserve to win." It's an unexpectedly difficult clue for Jeopardy, normally they would put Hunley in the clue.

I got FJ knowing the fish is a symbol of Christ (as should anyone who drives).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:It's an unexpectedly difficult clue for Jeopardy, normally they would put Hunley in the clue.
Agreed. I have a fairly deep background in Civil War history, but I didn't get Hunley until Linda guessed Hanley. That's a TOC-level clue, in my opinion.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

laubla999 wrote:I was raised Catholic, but we never really "read" the bible.

My instinctive answer would have been "la pêche miraculeuse" which I would have written as down as "miracle fishing".

I think that refers to a different miracle, so no.
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Water into wine came to mind first, but it's commonly accepted as Jesus' first miracle, so the chapters given were too late for that. I certainly didn't know much about if it occured in all four gospels, so the chapters were the only way to exclude water into wine for me, given that Jesus refers to himself as 'living water' to the woman at the well and wine being obvious.

After that logical step, I came up with the feeding of the 5,000 but wasn't 100% confident that was what they were looking for. I would have called the fish-sign a symbol of Christianity or Christians first, with a symbol of Jesus coming in third.

Raised fairly religious and still attend.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:
Vanya wrote:It's an unexpectedly difficult clue for Jeopardy, normally they would put Hunley in the clue.
Agreed. I have a fairly deep background in Civil War history, but I didn't get Hunley until Linda guessed Hanley. That's a TOC-level clue, in my opinion.
I thought Linda said "Henley." But maybe she was making a shout-out to a certain boardie. :)

Anyhoo, the statement that Hunley is a TOC-level clue is empirically untrue.

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?search=hunley

While admittedly one of the previous instances where it arose was in the UTOC, it has also come up several times in regular play -- and in most of those cases, the contestants did have to name the sub.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:and in most of those cases, the contestants did have to name the sub.
In all but one of those, they failed to name it -- and the one who did get it right was Kevin Marshall. ;)
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

seaborgium wrote:
laubla999 wrote:I was raised Catholic, but we never really "read" the bible.

I think that refers to a different miracle, so no.

You're right, it's not the same one. I had to google a couple of time to kind of vaguely remember this one ;-/
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

Is the "feeding" phrase necessary for a correct response? I went with "What is fishes and loaves?"... Judges?

Also, is a "TOSSED SALAD" category equivalent to POTPOURRI, etc? I had not seen that category namebefore and was trying to find a common thread for its clues but couldn't.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

MtlMike wrote:Is the "feeding" phrase necessary for a correct response? I went with "What is fishes and loaves?"... Judges?

Also, is a "TOSSED SALAD" category equivalent to POTPOURRI, etc? I had not seen that category namebefore and was trying to find a common thread for its clues but couldn't.
Yeah Tossed Salad was a Hodgepodge/Potpourri-esque category.

As for Final Jeopardy, I failed because I am Jewish and never read the New Testament. Only thing I could think of was walking on water. I was never going to get the correct response.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MtlMike wrote:Is the "feeding" phrase necessary for a correct response? I went with "What is fishes and loaves?"... Judges?
I would think something other than just "fish and loaves" would have to be there. The miracle is what he did with those items, not the items themselves.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

nlw44 wrote:Not a typo. D-E-S-E-R-T-S is the correct spelling and "dee-ZERTS" the correct pronunciation of the word with the meaning (taken from the American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd collegiate edition) "Something that is deserved or merited, esp. a punishment."
I stand corrected. It's always a pleasure to learn something new, especially from our gracious board members!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Monitor & Merrimac double neg had me laughing.
I said "CSS Virginia" (the true name of The Ship Formerly Known As The Merrimac). Forgot all about the Hunley.
MarkBarrett wrote:Working on the miracle angle more than the symbols angle was not the way to go.
Agreed, that's how I ended up working it. Cycled through the symbolism, hit "fish" right off, then with the "loaves" leading to "The Feeding of the Multitudes."
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

hbomb1947 wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:I'd be very curious to know the religious breakdown among people who got this FJ correct.
I did not write this, but I would like to know the religious breakdown. ;)
Karawan

Post by Karawan »

Well, I'm Muslim and all I could come up with was turning water into wine. I am familiar with the loaves and fishes, but I didn't think of them until after the correct response was revealed. I gave the clue to my Catholic husband at lunch today and he got it right away.

On an unrelated note, I love Linda's stories about her mom! I saw the two of them at the hotel a few times during my time out in LA and they were such a cute pair. It seems like I definitely got picked to appear during the wrong week, since everyone in my pool had either Mark or Linda to contend with!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

On one of the radio shows I was on in college, we did a sketch that took place at the loaves-and-fishes miracle.

JESUS: Fish or loaf?
PERSON: Both, please.
PERSON #2: Both, please.
PERSON #3: Both, please.

...and that continued for several minutes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:On one of the radio shows I was on in college, we did a sketch that took place at the loaves-and-fishes miracle.

PERSON: Both, please.
PERSON #2: Both, please.
PERSON #3: Both, please.

...and that continued for several minutes.
Death! ...Just kidding, I'll have the cake.

I had 'miracle of loaves and fishes' personally. I'm accepting it as the deity-less agnostic I am! :P

Poor J! day, suckered into the Merrimac bait, but as soon as Hunley was given my forehead started hurting. Moreso because there's been recent news articles about it finally being turned upright. DJ! was better, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,

Couldn't remember Hunley in spite of having watched a special on it in the last year or so. I knew it was neither of the ironclads.

FJ was pretty easy for me. Went the {symbol -> fish -> multiplying the loaves and fishes to feed the multitude} route with probably enough time left to write it. Would "feeding the multitudes" have been enough? I ask because that's what I remember it being called sometime in the past.

Religion: Raised Catholic, K-12 in Catholic Schools, intellectually agnostic (for about the last 47 years), atheist by belief and faith.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."