Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 7, 2014

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 7, 2014

Post by Lefty »

Missed two reading through here (Alicia something TV show, no idea, and Mark Harmon show, CSI?). It's likely I'd have missed a couple more testing for real due to typing issues, as perhaps with the Edna St...wait, EBB seems much clearer/more likely clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

I'm kinda mad because I missed this test and I got my best score ever on this transcript (35). Missed some of the literary associations: Longfellow for Irving, Anne Tyler for a "Breathing" titled book, etc. Hoping for a similar difficulty test in the other versions!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

45 for me, missing the goddess, the Mark Harmon show, the stamp person, the alien author, and the bird.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

MomofTwins got 35, but only played it off the transcript. I keep telling her she should take it for real, but she's afraid they'll pick her and she'll have to go on TV.

49 for me, missing only the "Waiting to Exhale" author.
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

Taking possibles into account, I managed a score of 36. Realized too late that it was "fortnight" and left that one blank which prompted three or four questions for me to flounder on (of which, one was that fish anagram. Gah!). It sounds like it's just barely passing, but with everyone doing so well here, looks like I'll have to try even harder next year if I don't get a callback!
emtheeviltwin
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by emtheeviltwin »

28 :( There were two I should have had. (Which only brings me to a 30, but it would have made me feel better regardless.) I wrote "The English Channel" and didn't get to the word tunnel, and that stupid Green Eggs and Ham question, to which I wrote "Sam" because I thought they wanted the narrator. Oy. My twin thinks she got a 27. Yet, a good number of ones I got wrong, she got right, and vice versa. If we were only conjoined twins we could have passed. Ah well, I'll take the college test at the next chance.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

The questions felt easy enough. I still only got 29. I guess at this point I guess I'm just taking this online test for fun, my score are just awful.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

47 for me. I'm taking tomorrow's test just for fun. I missed Waiting to Exhale, the French queen, and...another one.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

Probably 36. Sloppy in my misuse/missing of category info. My age is starting to show on popular (as opposed to classic) categories
satori
Contributor

Post by satori »

For the "five-angled" question, think they would accept "pentagonal"? I had "pentagon," read the question again, and added the "al" - seems to make at least as much sense.
Thinking globally, acting locally, snacking frequently.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Working from the transcript, i got 38. Not quite as good as last year, but good enough. I'm currently in the pool, so it really doesn't matter (matter matter -- Hi Savoygirl!)

Some first time poster asked (several times) earlier -- what is a "passing" grade? No one knows for certain, but it is widely believed to be 35/50. Of course, even if you pass, there's the luck of the draw to see if you will get called to an in-person audition.
Teems with quiet fun.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Sheesh! I got off to a bad start (couldn't remember Thurgood Marshall or Queen Victoria), said Richard II rather than III, blanked on "Captain Morgan", couldn't rearrange letters to get "flounder", put "Sam-I-Am" and tried to correct it but not in time, said "Ender's Song" instead of "Game", blanked on "lingo", "Terry McMillan", "Rihanna", and "Elizabeth Barrett Browning". Put me down for a 38, possibly my worst score ever.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
nivek1385
Contributor

Post by nivek1385 »

Going off the transcript, I got 34, with 6 blanks and 7 that I should have gotten and just couldn't (or misread the question...I read Libya as Liberia, thus giving the wrong city). I said Lake Placid because I forgot LA hosted twice. I said Artemis instead of Athena, Anne Rice instead of Meyer, and couldn't come up with Perry for PEI. My weakness with this one was Literature (unusual for me) and pop culture (quite usual for me...darn questions about TV shows and singers...though I did get Carrie Underwood and count me in for the CSI instead of NCIS crowd). Let's hope tonight's is just as easy, with far less blanking\misreading\etc. on my part as I'm doing it for real tonight.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Depending on the judges' generosity, somewhere between 39-41 here. By the time I realized Elizabeth Barrett Browning, only had time to type her last name. And only got Fiddler down... But that's 4 better than last year so I will take it!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

zakharov wrote:Oh and I can't be the only fool to mix up CSI and NCIS can I?
That's an easy distinction for me: NCIS is the one I actually watch. (It is SUCH a relief, in the middle of all the self-imposed pressure of this test, to see one that is THAT easy for me.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Looks like a 39 for me, and am I relieved, after narrowly missing 35 last year.

I tend to agree that there was a lot of really simple material on this one, and realistically I could have scored 5-6 higher if I were more in tune with the 21st century. :oops:

I think what I'm proudest of is that I had only one authentic brain fart, when I started the quiz by visualizing the face of Justice Marshall and SIMPLY...NOT being able to dredge up his name from the memory banks. Other than that I missed 10 fair and square. Can't complain, as the test covered its usual wide variety without too much emphasis on pop culture.

Some questions did require careful reading, but I was able to get Atlanta instead of Phoenix or Georgia, Green Eggs and Ham instead of Sam I Am, and a couple more. I got totally blindsided on the stamp-collecting clue, not even thinking about non-American stamps (& thus putting Washington). I did think Stephanie Meyer was wicked neg bait for Ann Rice, and as usual I read a line of poetry that just sounded...so...depressed and had to take a stab at Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Overall I'm pleased, and can hope to get back to an audition. I've passed several online quizzes but have had no invitations since 2006. This year for sure, right? I ain't getting any younger, you know!

And Sherder, boo-coo thanks for your superb work getting the transcript up so quickly and well. You are a gentleman and a scholar, and your work is much appreciated.
LuigiNovi

Post by LuigiNovi »

MY RESULTS:
Correct: 30
Incorrect: 20

Compared with other years:
2011 26 correct 23 incorrect (I only recorded 49 questions for some reason.)
2012 26 correct 24 Incorrect
2013 35 correct 15 Incorrect
2014 30 correct 20 Incorrect

I did pretty shitty, compared to last year, but at least not as bad as I did in the first two years that I began recording the test contents.

I made a video of my test with a video screen-capture program called iShowU, which you can see at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA7eFcUm ... e=youtu.be

Here are some random musings on some of the wrong answers I gave, for your amusement:

Category: Stamp Collecting
3. First sold in 1840, the “Penny Black” and the “Two Penny Blue” both featured this person.
My answer: Abraham Lincoln
Correct answer: Queen Victoria
I neglected to pay attention to the year 1840, when Lincoln was probably mostly an unknown. In any event, I would not have guessed Queen Victoria, as it didn’t occur to me that the stamp was issued in another country.

Category: National Parks
8. A third of Miami-Dade County is located in this national park.
My answer: Everglades
Correct answer: Everglades National Park
Although Everglades National Park and the Everglades are two distinct things, I’m hoping that my answer would be counted as correct, since “national park” is already in the clue. I'm marking this down as a correct. Thoughts?

Category: Country Music
11. This “American Idol” winner took over from Faith Hill singing the “Sunday Night Football” theme.
My answer: Kelly Clarkson
Correct answer: Carrie Underwood
This was a guess. Part of me thought afterwards that Kellie Pickler, being southern, might’ve been the right answer, though I then realized that Pickler was not an Idol victor. I completely forgot about Carrie Underwood, as I wasn’t familiar with her chosen genre of music, and forgot she was on “Idol”, even though I was familiar with her by name.

Category: The Olympics
19. This city hosted the Olympics during the Depression & again 52 years later.
My answer: Munich
Correct answer: Los Angeles
I made this guess because I thought of the Depression as beginning in the 20s, and adding 52 years to that, I came up with Munich, which I knew was the site of the Olympics in 1972, though part of me doubted this was correct. I should’ve remembered that the Depression began at the end of the 1920s—1929 to be exact—and lasted for a decade, something that I knew. The Depression-era Olympics in question were in 1932. Had I had time to think this through better, I might’ve come up with 1984 as the correct year, which I believe I would’ve remembered as Los Angeles.

Category: McPeople
23. She co-wrote the film adaptation of her novel “Waiting to Exhale”.
My answer: Toni Morrison
Correct answer: Terry McMillan
I wasn’t sure if Terry McMillan was the author of Waiting to Exhale or the author of The Color Purple and Beloved. Either way I would’ve been wrong, as the author of The Color Purple, and Morrison the author of Beloved. In addition, I totally neglected to acknowledge the category, which indicated that the author’s name begins with “Mc”.

Category: Newspapers
24. This Maryland newspaper was founded back in 1837.
My answer: The Washington Post
Correct answer: The Baltimore Sun
I couldn’t think of a Maryland newspaper, so I chose a Washington DC one, since Maryland surrounds that district.

Category: The Roman Empire
25. Crassus, Pompey & Julius Caesar formed the “first” one in 60 B.C.
My answer: Trifecta
Correct answer: Triumverate
I initially typed in “triumverate”, and then replaced it with “trifecta”. Arrrggh!!!

Category: For the Birds
27. The Adelie type fo this bird builds nests from pebbles.
My answer: Seagull
Correct answer: Penguin
Another instance in which I had the right answer, typed it in, and replaced it with a wrong one. I typed in “penguin”, and then replaced it, because I didn’t think penguins built nests. Arrggh!!

Category: From the Creek
31. It’s from the Greek for “Five-Angled”
My answer: Pentagonal
Correct answer: Pentagon
I didn’t think this was right, since a pentagon has five sides, rather than five angles, but my research pointed out to me that a pentagon also has five angles, and according to my Web search, pentagon indeed comes from such a Greek word meaning this. I’m not sure, however, if “pentagonal” will be accepted as correct, but I would think so.

Category: My Stars!
45. Appropriately, this “dog star” is in canis major
My answer: Polaris
Correct answer: Sirius
I got confused with Polars, which is the North Star, not the dog star. As both a lover of astronomy and Harry Potter, I should not have screwed this one up.

Category: Female Authors
49. Aliens, not vampires, helped this author stay on the bestseller lists with her novel “The Hohst”
My answer: Stephanie
Correct answer: Stephenie Meyer
Not getting this one really frustrated me, because it was one of those instances in which I knew the answer, but couldn’t get it out of my head. I’ve read about the first 200 pages of the first Twilight novel, seen the movies, and have read quite a bit on criticism of her writing. I was really angry in not getting this one.
Last edited by LuigiNovi on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACW

Post by ACW »

1: Marshall acceptable?
2-3: No
4-7 yes (Irving)
8 no
9 yes
10 can't remember
11 Underwood
12-14, 16: no
15, 17-18: yes
19: Dammit, I guessed Munich :oops: :oops:
20-22: Yes
23: Got it too late :(
24-25: Yes
26: No
27-35: Yes
36 no
37: Can't remember if I managed to get the whole thing
38-44 yes (Is "Cooper" acceptable?)
45: Of course, Sirius :oops:
46: Yes
47: Dah, of course :oops:
48: Yes
49: Guessed Rice
50: Only got the Ellis Island

33 correct. How's that for a long-time Jeopardy! watcher but a first-time test taker?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Creed Bratton wrote:Depending on the judges' generosity, somewhere between 39-41 here. By the time I realized Elizabeth Barrett Browning, only had time to type her last name. And only got Fiddler down... But that's 4 better than last year so I will take it!
Same thing happened to me on Browning. Any consensus on this? The rules to the test say that last names only are OK (so I was confident putting just "Marshall"), but does this rule apply when the category says that the answer is a three-word name?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Woppy T wrote:
Creed Bratton wrote:Depending on the judges' generosity, somewhere between 39-41 here. By the time I realized Elizabeth Barrett Browning, only had time to type her last name. And only got Fiddler down... But that's 4 better than last year so I will take it!
Same thing happened to me on Browning. Any consensus on this? The rules to the test say that last names only are OK (so I was confident putting just "Marshall"), but does this rule apply when the category says that the answer is a three-word name?
Browning is probably okay. Consider this FJ, where the category is 3-Named People, and even though it was a triple stumper, Alex says they didn't need all three names.