Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 9, 2014

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 9, 2014

Post by ElendilPickle »

sherder wrote:Glad people are finding the videos useful! It's been helpful for me to get more familiar with the recording software. I remembered to do them in HD this year. My plan is to continue recording them, unless TPTB have a change of heart about having them on YT.
Thanks for recording it, sherder.

I got 42 - missed Vulgate, Haiti, Hoover, wolfram, Alice Walker, Nancy Pelosi, cordial, and Thomas - so my scores for this year's tests are 47, 46, and 42. Not bad.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This was definitely the most difficult of the three tests this week. I scored a 43 after a 49 and 47 on the previous tests. I've edited a few dozen books about the Bible, and I didn't get the Thomas quote. The quote expresses confusion, not doubt. Peter could just as easily have said this.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

So, for the record here are my scores for the week:

Tuesday - 42 (taken for "real")
Wednesday - 49 (taken off the transcript)
Thursday - 48 (taken off the video)

Does this mean I choke under pressure? Or does it just mean a few educated guesses worked out better and I got a little luck on Wednesday and Thursday? Who knows? Who cares?
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

cinemaniax7 wrote: I've edited a few dozen books about the Bible, and I didn't get the Thomas quote. The quote expresses confusion, not doubt. Peter could just as easily have said this.
Yeah, as far as Bible category questions go, this one was pretty bad, IMO.

(though not as bad as that FJ one from a year or two ago that they totally screwed up and had to edit in an apology)
boyjenius

Post by boyjenius »

Is anyone going to post a copy of the questions? I'd like to print a copy, thx in advance to anyone who does :D
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cinemaniax7 wrote:This was definitely the most difficult of the three tests this week. I scored a 43 after a 49 and 47 on the previous tests. I've edited a few dozen books about the Bible, and I didn't get the Thomas quote. The quote expresses confusion, not doubt. Peter could just as easily have said this.
I hope that you got the Life of Pi question, though :lol:
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

snowdenscold wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote: I've edited a few dozen books about the Bible, and I didn't get the Thomas quote. The quote expresses confusion, not doubt. Peter could just as easily have said this.
Yeah, as far as Bible category questions go, this one was pretty bad, IMO.

(though not as bad as that FJ one from a year or two ago that they totally screwed up and had to edit in an apology)
As someone fairly uninformed on the New Testament, I thought it was actually a fairly good one. Assume for the moment that you know a bit, but not too much, about the topic like me. Apostle plus whatever sentiment is being expressed (seemed like doubt to me, but I see the point about confusion) led me directly to Doubting Thomas.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Pardon me for the stupid Luddite question, but, um, I'm a stupid Luddite.

I see the video of the quiz and can play it, but it is so small I can't read the text. I've clicked on every icon I can find on that screen but nothing enlarges it.

I give up. How can I enlarge the clip so it's big enough to actually read the text?

Thanks in advance.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

DysonSphere wrote: I never heard of the Vulgate bible, but my wife who specializes in religion says it's something religious Catholics would know. I'll second disappointment over the Jewish question being a freebie and the Catholic question being strictly "in the know." I guessed the wrong Lear daughter - oh well.
FWIW, I consider "Vulgate" more of a general history/humanities question than religion one, despite what the category said at the top of the screen. Especially Medieval European history and later its tie-ins to the Reformation.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

John Boy wrote:Pardon me for the stupid Luddite question, but, um, I'm a stupid Luddite.

I see the video of the quiz and can play it, but it is so small I can't read the text. I've clicked on every icon I can find on that screen but nothing enlarges it.

I give up. How can I enlarge the clip so it's big enough to actually read the text?

Thanks in advance.
Clicking on the title atop the video will take you to the Youtube page itself. Then, clicking on the broken rectangular icon in the bottom right will enlarge the video full screen, at which point it should precisely replicate the experience of taking it yourself.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woof wrote:
John Boy wrote:Pardon me for the stupid Luddite question, but, um, I'm a stupid Luddite.

Thanks in advance.
Clicking on the title atop the video will take you to the Youtube page itself. Then, clicking on the broken rectangular icon in the bottom right will enlarge the video full screen, at which point it should precisely replicate the experience of taking it yourself.
Clicking on the Youtube logo at the bottom of screen also takes you that page.
OCSam
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

koozbane wrote:I guess things are only difficult if you don't know the answer. I did the best on this one--46.

44 and 43 on the other two.
My situation, too -- I increased one point each night: 44, 45, and 46. When you know 'em, you think it's easy; when you don't, it's hard!
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

slam wrote:So, for the record here are my scores for the week:

Just took it off sherder's video. Fun! Thanks for doing that! 44 after changing CIA to Defense and back.

slam, I was 47 (real), 43, 44. I guess this means you win this year's installment. Or maybe I do? Let's discuss...
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Mark B wrote:
slam wrote:So, for the record here are my scores for the week:

Just took it off sherder's video. Fun! Thanks for doing that! 44 after changing CIA to Defense and back.

slam, I was 47 (real), 43, 44. I guess this means you win this year's installment. Or maybe I do? Let's discuss...
We're both making up numbers anyway. :) In real life, you know I can't break 30.

I don't think either of us win until we're standing behind a podium. SIgh.
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

Glad I took it for real on Wednesday. 39 right for me playing from Sherder's video, compared to 43 from my official attempt.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got a 35 on the nose, on this last one. I felt like the difficulty was pretty good. My scores this year were 36, 37, 35, with 37 being the one I took for real.

I thought that all three online tests were good this year. I am glad that there were none that were as bad as last year's infamous Central test, that I got a 28 on (I got a 35 and 37 on the other two last year, and the one I got a 28 on was my real one).
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:Geeze, I roasted this one to a crisp. 47.
What did everyone find hard about it?

(I missed 1, 22 and 35.)
I hear ya, V.

I took this one for reals tonight and got the same score. Missed Collins, Walker and Cordelia.

I had 46 and 44 on the other two tests, but I felt that I had to work harder on this one than the others.

I hope we all get the Call!
OCSam
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

45 on this one (on par with the other two at 46 each)

Misses:

Josephine (Catherine the Great),
Collins (got as far as Suzanne and blanked despite loving the books [saving Mockingjay for a rainy day]),
Manning (Tebow, don't laugh at least he's a football player!),
Walker (Morrison, grrrr), and
Byron (Tennyson).

That first question was a doozy -- has to be one of the hardest I've seen in one of the online tests! After that, I thought it was more or less standard stuff.

Had to use a homemade mnemonic to come up with Vassar. I think I came up with it back when "Kung Fu Panda" was a thing: Po Keeps Vast Stars; Poughkeepsie <-> Vassar. Kind of lame, but it's not all that easy to come up with something incorporating "Poughkeepsie". :lol:

I think the only place I know "cordial" (as a drink) from is Anne of Green Gables. The Megan Follows movie version made me want to move to Prince Edward Island!

Good luck to all who took the test for real - hope that no news (for us) will be a sign of good news (for you)!

Thanks again for the recordings, sherder!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jkbrat wrote: That first question was a doozy -- has to be one of the hardest I've seen in one of the online tests! After that, I thought it was more or less standard stuff.
Agreed, I think that's why I was thrown off my game for the first 4 questions, seeing that as the first question really shocked me, I'm sure if it was later in the test, I wouldn't have been as fazed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought, "Empress? French name? Must be married to Napoleon. Josephine it is."

Edit: this is the only post on JBoard with the word "Beauharnais" in it, until the transcript goes up (if not sooner).