Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by triviawayne »

No bitterness at all, was just pointing out the numbers to help lessen the disappointment of those multiple passers and never swimmers.

I am very excited with my anticipation of getting an invite to Tampa. But I also know it may not happen.

I really doubt the CCs are in here or anywhere else looking to exclude people from an audition. They just don't have the time.

Notice my game show losings below? Not bitter there either, just happy to have played the game and lived the dream of being a contestant; and hoping to do it again.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

triviawayne wrote:I really doubt the CCs are in here or anywhere else looking to exclude people from an audition. They just don't have the time.
Does the reason they are here affect the time they have? They are here. That much is certain. Whether or not they are here to exclude anybody from an audition, I will not speculate.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
CheezeWhiz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CheezeWhiz »

Couple friends of mine got invites to the Boston auditions on June 6th/7th today, so there's a still a chance for all of you out there.
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze
moneya
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by moneya »

So I was the one with the scheduling conflict for Boston, and they did indeed email me back and offer the next day, which worked better for me. Very nice of them.

I thought that most people who passed got an offer to audition - if it really is only one-fourth of those who pass then I feel VERY lucky! Hope more here get good news soon.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

bpmod wrote:
triviawayne wrote:I really doubt the CCs are in here or anywhere else looking to exclude people from an audition. They just don't have the time.
Does the reason they are here affect the time they have? They are here. That much is certain. Whether or not they are here to exclude anybody from an audition, I will not speculate.

Brian
I'll speculate. There seems to be a lot of wondering about the process, and of course, why not; but I'll give the version I've been able to piece together from everything I've read in the past and add my two cents to it. I've given numbers before, but I will again just for the flow of anyone reading this:

300,000 people sign up to take the test, 100,000 people actually take the test. Nobody knows why those 200,000 don't take the test, other than the few obvious reasons of something came up, forgot, bad internet connection, power outage, etc. I'm sure not all 200,000 fall into this category.

Going with the standard 15% of people who take a game show test pass it, that would mean 15,000 passers. My speculation here is with the online test being easy to take because of no travel, nobody can see who is taking the test, etc., the passing rate would be smaller due to people who have no chance of passing, know it, but do it anyway just for fun (something that doesn't happen so much at other game show auditions). I'm pulling 10% passing rate out of my butt for this reason, meaning 10,000 people pass the test each year.

When signing up, everyone chooses their home audition city. These are the cities Jeopardy knows they will visit. Overall, they see about 2500 people in person. This means a 75% chance of passing the test and not getting invited. More speculation on my part here: with them seeing 2500 people, and only needing 360, there is no reason to bother pre-screening at this point in time. Sure, we know they lurk about on here, maybe even post, but they have no need to spend the time at this moment deciding yes or no on any given person posting here. I truly believe at this point it is a complete random draw of people who passed from each city, nothing more.

So with this line of thinking, everyone who picked Boston who passed the test were in a random draw for the slots available, however many that might be. Everyone who picked Atlanta is in a random draw of their own. This is the reason I chose Tampa for this year. The northeast has a high proportion of not only test takers, but test passers, and that pits me against a larger pool of passers, which is why I may have not been randomly drawn on three consecutive passes. I figured the smallest pool of passers for the random draw would be Tampa this year, and am just playing the odds. Really, because of how expensive Boston is, the trip will cost me the same to Tampa anyway, so why not give myself the best chance.

So, with 35 being a passing score (I guess you can still call that speculation, but I think we're all safe in assuming that number), all who score 35 go into a draw for each city on the list.

At this point, they draw names and send out invites. My guess is that if they have 300 slots available (a number I'm just making up here), they send out 300 emails and that is round one. With maybe 250 slots filled, they send out another 50 invites and keep going until they get those 300 slots filled.

The in-person audition is of course what matters most, after they go through all the auditions they have a pile of the 2500 they've seen, with however many tossed aside for whatever reasons they have for not wanting them on the show. Now they have their real contestant pool, and will do whatever they do to fill the 360 slots for the year, with I'm sure some consideration to demographic and geographic factors. At that point, they may or may not care if they are asking a boardie to be on the show.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

trainman wrote:
EJVA wrote:Since there were no audition cities near where I live I signed up for LA, where I have family and visit regularly. Even though the pool of test-takers there is sure to be huge, I thought they might have auditions throughout the year rather than a single visit. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, there is the advantage of keeping my hopes up for an invite, at least until the next test comes around!
In the pre-online test days, they did have L.A. auditions about once a month. However, from what I can tell, they now only do them in L.A. once or twice a year.
Interesting. Long ago in 2007 (after the online test had been created, but before I myself had ever had the honor of being in the pool), I e-mailed TPTB about L.A. auditions (I was taking a trip there for professional reasons) and was told that they had been permanently discontinued.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I've got a report of an email today for an Atlanta audition June 17.
jcpom
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jcpom »

Atlanta, June 17!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

triviawayne wrote:This is the reason I chose Tampa for this year. The northeast has a high proportion of not only test takers, but test passers, and that pits me against a larger pool of passers, which is why I may have not been randomly drawn on three consecutive passes. I figured the smallest pool of passers for the random draw would be Tampa this year, and am just playing the odds. Really, because of how expensive Boston is, the trip will cost me the same to Tampa anyway, so why not give myself the best chance.
I should have realized everyone and their cousin would be signing up to audition in Boston. As a DC resident I was kind of screwed this time around with no nearby audition, but I figured I could visit friends in Boston and make a trip of it if invited. I should have resisted the urge and registered for Tampa as you did to maximize chances. Lesson learned.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm not sure how true that is. When I lived in NY, I passed the test & was selected twice for the auditions at the Waldorf. I moved south before the Jan. 2013 test & I've passed it three times & not been called. I think they spend more days in Boston, nyc, philly etc so that averages out the difference.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Johnblue wrote:I'm not sure how true that is. When I lived in NY, I passed the test & was selected twice for the auditions at the Waldorf. I moved south before the Jan. 2013 test & I've passed it three times & not been called. I think they spend more days in Boston, nyc, philly etc so that averages out the difference.
Agreed. I think those who think otherwise are, as Alex puts it, "overthinking it".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Does the reason they are here affect the time they have? They are here. That much is certain.
Sure, we know they lurk about on here, maybe even post, but they have no need to spend the time at this moment deciding yes or no on any given person posting here.
I didn't realize we knew for sure that they monitored this board at all. How do we know this?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yep, I have also seen on social media that Atlanta invites have gone out. Unfortunately, I did not get one :(
BobF

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I'm not sure how true that is. When I lived in NY, I passed the test & was selected twice for the auditions at the Waldorf. I moved south before the Jan. 2013 test & I've passed it three times & not been called. I think they spend more days in Boston, nyc, philly etc so that averages out the difference.
Agreed. I think those who think otherwise are, as Alex puts it, "overthinking it".
Yup, if you had 1,000 test passers in the Boston area and 500 in the Tampa area, it would EASILY justify spending twice as many days in Boston as in Tampa. Assuming that the Boston hotel properly inflated all of its footballs.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

BobF wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Yup, if you had 1,000 test passers in the Boston area and 500 in the Tampa area, it would EASILY justify spending twice as many days in Boston as in Tampa. Assuming that the Boston hotel properly inflated all of its footballs.
I'm also someone from DC who picked Tampa on the "More people will pick Boston" theory. Maybe it won't work, but my last four selections for an online test site didn't pan out either, and I think I was also swayed by the foot of snow still on the ground in Boston when I registered.

I've been thinking about picking Boston as a preferred Sports Jeopardy audition site (though my chances of passing that test are not great). BobF's post made me realize, though, that at an audition for Sports Jeopardy in Boston you'll likely hear about two thousand jokes about deflated balls, so maybe I'd better reconsider that one too.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No Atlanta invite in my inbox, either.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I truly believe that I passed the online test in 2014 and 2015. But I have not been contacted. It seems that random drawings are not my friend. But I am still hopeful.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:No Atlanta invite in my inbox, either.
BASTARDS!
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Bamaman wrote:No Atlanta invite in my inbox, either.
YET. No invite yet.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Does the reason they are here affect the time they have? They are here. That much is certain.
Sure, we know they lurk about on here, maybe even post, but they have no need to spend the time at this moment deciding yes or no on any given person posting here.
I didn't realize we knew for sure that they monitored this board at all. How do we know this?
I was at a Jeopardy! taping and, between episodes, I noticed two former contestants that I had met that morning talking to a gentleman that I had not yet met. I went over to join in the conversation and, as I approached, the man asked me "Are you on JBoard?". I turned to the other two and, mustering my best conspiratorial voice, said "They're not supposed to know about JBoard." He then said, "It's my business to know everything. You are bpmod." I was flabbergasted.

His name is Robert and he is (or was at the time, at least) a contestant coordinator.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.