TD 176: Florida -- Don't Hate Because We're Warmer Than You Are!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

TD 176: Florida -- Don't Hate Because We're Warmer Than You Are!

Post by econgator »

Hello and welcome to the Sunshine State!

Rules – Stolen from others previously

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 2359, Eastern time, on Sunday, January 26.

3. The object, as always, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may HIT THE BEACH on one question by listing that instead of an answer. That will give you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may also pick the SHEEP option for one question. For that question, you will automatically get the sheep score (but the SHEEP option won't count towards how many people said the real sheep answer). Also, if SHEEP and/or HIT THE BEACH is the most popular answer, the SHEEP score will still be the real sheep (i.e. the most popular real answer, not SHEEP or HIT THE BEACH).

6. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

7. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

8. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: TD 176: Florida -- Don't Hate Because We're Warmer Than You Are!

Post by econgator »

1. According to the 2010 Census, 15 cities in Florida have a population within its city limits of 120,000 or more. Name one of those 15 cities.

2. Florida has given rise to some of the most famous musicians and musical acts ever: the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Pat Boone, Limp Bizkit and Jim Morrison, just to name a few. While the Doors may have sold more records overall, the Florida musician with the longest and most sucessful career is probably Tom Petty (both with and without the Heartbreakers). The Gainesville native has over 60 million albums sold in his career and has had 17 Billboard Hot 100 that have reached the top 50. Name one of those songs.

3. Florida is a great place to live due to the climate, but also because there is no state income tax -- thanks, tourists! :) Six other states have no personal income tax and two more tax only interest and dividends. Name any of these nine states.

4. Speaking of tourists, according to the 2012 attendance report by TEA, 8 of the top-20 theme parks in North America are located in Florida. Name one of these 8 parks.
NOTE: Just to prevent any confusion, "Walt Disney World" is not a park; it is an entertainment complex consisting of -- most importantly for this question -- 4 theme parks.

5. While that climate may be great in the winter, we make up for it in the summer and fall with the constant threat of hurricanes. No state has been hit by more hurricanes and tropical storms than Florida. Since 1900, over 300 such storms have affected the state, causing thousands of deaths and tens of billions of dollars of damage. In that time frame, 23 hurricanes of Category 3 or higher have struck the state, with 16 of them having names (the current naming conventions came into effect in 1953, although some earlier ones were named due to their place or date of impact). Give me one of those 16 "named" storms that were Cat 3 or higher when they made landfall in Florida.

6. Sports are very popular in the state. NASCAR, the PGA, and LPGA are all headquartered in the state and there are 9 "Big 4 sports" teams in the state. Give me the FULL current name of an MLB, NHL, NBA, or NFL team based in Florida.

7. Florida is flat. Really, really flat. It's one of only 14 13 states with a highest elevation of under 2000 ft (Minnesota is #15 14 at 2302 ft). Name one of these 14 13 states.

8. Spring Break and Florida go hand in hand. When those students aren't out on the beaches partying, they pretend to learn at one of Florida's many excellent colleges and universities. There are 12 of them in the State University System. Name one of these 12. Hint: They all have the word "Florida" in them. ;)

9. Name a scripted (i.e. non-reality/documentary) TV show -- past or present -- which is substantially set in the state of Florida.

NOTE: For example, don't answer Seinfeld, which had a couple of episodes set at Jerry's parent's house. If an entire season of Seinfeld was down there, that would be fine. I'm not going to set a specific number to it, but to paraphrase Potter Stewart, I'll know 'substantial' when I see it.

10. Lakeland, FL, is home to Lakeland Linder Regional Airport, which hosts the annual Sun 'n Fun Fly-in every spring. During these 6 days, it becomes the busiest airport on the planet, recording well over 60000 aircraft movements (to contrast, the Atlanta airport does about 75000 per month). Granted, its passenger count is not quite on par with the rest of the major airports. Name one of the top-15 US airports by its 2012 passenger boardings (#16 was Minneapolis-St. Paul at 15,943,751 -- hey, look, Minnesota again).

11. Florida has many counties named after a President, but it is one of 32 states that has never been the primary place of affiliation of any U.S. President. Should it have one in the future, though, it would join 10 other states that have represented exactly one. Name one of those 10 states.

12. At 9:34 AM ET on May 5, 1961, Mercury-Redstone 3 -- better known as Freedom 7 -- was launched from Launch Complex 5 at Cape Canaveral and would make Alan Shepard the first American in space. This, along with Yuri Gagarin's historic flight the month prior, marked the beginning of the Race to the Moon. The Americans won that race, but the Russians and Chinese have also had programs which put a human into space. Name one of the 9 programs from one of these 3 countries that sucessfully put a human into orbital or suborbital space.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Clarifications

6. I need the FULL name of the team (ex. New York Mets, not Mets or NYM)
7. Actually, it's one of only 13 states. I mistakenly included DC in my count.
10. I'll take pretty much any identifier for the airport. So, if Lakeland were a correct answer, then Lakeland, Linder, LAL (its IATA code), or KLAL (its ICAO code) would all be good.
11. "Primary place of affiliation" is where the candidate was listed as being from. It is not necessarily the state of his birth, but is usually the place of residence at the time of nomination (examples: GW Bush was born in CT, but he was the candidate from TX, Obama was born in HI, but he was the candidate from IL, etc...)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Current entrants:
Alyssa
kettledrum
This Is Kirk!
mennoknight
UniquePerspective
gamawire
Rackme32
Leander
nserven
esrever
Vermonter
Lilac
ElendilPickle
Paucle
MarkBarrett
geolawyerman
CrunchyTaco
Creed Bratton
Lumosityfan
Woof
wallzy41
DadofTwins
dude33
naurae29
Peggles
Aardvark
Powerof Hoodoo
skullturf
Milpool
tjconn728
ihavejeprosy
CoachP
debramc
Magna
jem788
Vanya
jeffwolfe
amorris525
RandyG
Kingrat47
Linear Gnome
ComingUpMilhouse
JeopardyMom
coolcah36
dhkendall
Bamaman
chalupabatman786
TomKBaltimoreBoy
lisa0012
goforthetie
TurdFerguson
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Trust me, we don't hate you because you're warmer than us, we pity you because you're in Florida. (It's probably well known by now that there's a good chance any "weird story" in the news has a Florida byline. It's a running joke in some places I frequent online.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:Trust me, we don't hate you because you're warmer than us, we pity you because you're in Florida. (It's probably well known by now that there's a good chance any "weird story" in the news has a Florida byline. It's a running joke in some places I frequent online.)
It's not so much running as puttering along on a Rascal.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

dhkendall wrote:Trust me, we don't hate you because you're warmer than us, we pity you because you're in Florida. (It's probably well known by now that there's a good chance any "weird story" in the news has a Florida byline. It's a running joke in some places I frequent online.)
I think we frequent the same places.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Hey, look, you're jealous. I get that. :)
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I just pray for the day when Florida Man is brought to justice for his many criminal and bizarre acts...
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Hey, I've visited Florida in August.

Let's just say, I remember thinking this is what hell must be like. :D
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Questions posted!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Sherm wrote:Hey, I've visited Florida in August.

Let's just say, I remember thinking this is what hell must be like. :D
I have visted Florida in August. In a vehicle with no air conditioning. I would take that any time over the -31 degrees it is outside my door right now.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: 7. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by the score before the bonuses, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.
Bonuses? Does that refer to "HIT THE BEACH" and "SHEEP?"

Good quiz!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote:
econgator wrote: 7. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by the score before the bonuses, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

Good quiz!
Oops. Forgot to delete that out.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote:3. Florida is a great place to live due to the climate, but also because there is no state income tax -- thanks, tourists! :) Six other states have no personal income tax and two more tax only interest and dividends. Name any of these nine states.
Something's not adding up.
OCSam
ayeembored
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ayeembored »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I just pray for the day when Florida Man is brought to justice for his many criminal and bizarre acts...
Florida Man, Florida Man, does whatever a Florida can...
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:
RandyG wrote:

Good quiz!
Oops. Forgot to delete that out.
Question 5 refers to "Pass" but it's not mentioned elsewhere - is that an option?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Magna wrote: Question 5 refers to "Pass" but it's not mentioned elsewhere - is that an option?
I believe it's equivalent to "Hit the Beach."
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

gamawire wrote:
Magna wrote: Question 5 refers to "Pass" but it's not mentioned elsewhere - is that an option?
I believe it's equivalent to "Hit the Beach."
Oh yes - I see that now. Thanks
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Who's interested in hosting TD 181, set for Monday, February 24th? With almost 5 weeks to go, there's still plenty of time to prepare. The next opening after that is not until March 31st. Send me a PM to hold your spot. You can always refer to the top sticky thread in the forum for the up-to-date TD schedule and archive.