Thursday, July 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Thursday, July 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILER

Post by StevenH »

After having a great night last night, this board got the better of me. Props to Justin on the strong performance.

Justin only has one game under his belt, but it looks like we might have yet another ToC-caliber contestant. This doesn't appear to have been the best time to get the call.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

FJ: SURUS WAS THE LAST KNOWN ONE OF THESE TO SURVIVE A MOUNTAIN CROSSING IN THE 3rd CENTURY B.C.
ANSWER:
Spoiler
What is an ELEPHANT (Hannnibal's favorite, in fact.)
I had "palindrome." Judges? henh.( j/k)

Nasty "ouch" on that femur DD miss. Seems more like a brain burp than anything else, no? I thought femur being longest bone one of those "every triviot knows" things?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Justin Sausville: $27,200+$2800=$30,000
Ryan Fox: $11,400+$7,400=$18,800
Cathy Markwiese: $1,800+$1,798=$3,598

World History
Surus was the last known one of these to survive a mountain crossing in the 3rd century B.C.
Spoiler
What is an elephant?
Justin was very impressive tonight. Ryan almost made a game of it going into FJ, but he didn't seem to think through that DD very well. Why would an arm bone have anything to do with a person's height? I thought for a few seconds that Ryan wasn't even going to make an attempt at the final clue, despite the fact that he could have broken Justin's lock with a correct response. He finally rang in, but he seemed to be in the same boat I was, considering people like Buffalo Bill Cody and Wild Bill Hickock, but figuring that someone that well known wouldn't be a $2,000 clue. Ultimately it wouldn't have mattered if he had gotten the DD or the last clue right, since Final Jeopardy was so easy.

If anyone didn't get FJ, I would love to know what incorrect guesses they thought of, because I couldn't think of anything else even remotely plausible to consider as an answer.

I had a slightly above average J! round, helped by an easy sweep in the QB U category, plus several other sports questions sprinkled throughout the other categories. I was on fire in DJ, but unfortunately went a perfect 0-for-6 on the $2,000 clues, so my Coryat wasn't what it could have been. A few of those I should have been able to come up with, most notably the $2,000 clue in the 'Big" category, as I failed to pick up on the "rhyming" hint that would have surely led me to "Big Dig".
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote: I had "palindrome." Judges? henh.( j/k)
It must have been positively peculiar to peer upon that powerful palindromic pachyderm crossing the perilous peaks of the Pyrenees prior to proceeding to the Po Valley during the Punic War.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Between the start of DJ and when she got one response in the Wild West category, I think I forgot Cathy was in the game! I was so close but so far on FJ, saying Carthaginian instead of elephant.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
If anyone didn't get FJ, I would love to know what incorrect guesses they thought of, because I couldn't think of anything even else remotely plausible to consider as an answer.

I was on fire in DJ, but unfortunately went a perfect 0-for-6 on the $2,000 clues, so my Coryat wasn't what it could have been.
Unfortunately, I can help as I can be a real knucklehead on FJ clues sometimes. I took the clue's wording to mean some animal not around anymore. Crossing the mountains around that time sounded like Hannibal and the elephants and I guessed wooly mammoth.

On the $2000 clues I was 4/6 with Bat Masterson seeming like a gimme for Ryan to break the lock.

Ryan and Justin next to each other on the set looked like they could form a band and call themselves:

The Pocket Protectors
Who Took Our Lunch Money?
Stuffed In A Locker
The Swirlies

One game to go and then it's the SHC and College Championship reruns.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Judges on "note card" for index card? I went Note card because that was the first name for the item that came to mind.

As for me, a rather average day, 24 / 30 & 22 / 30. Swept Rivers and Ceasar, that was by far the easiest one all day. Books and Movies, besides being difficult to explain, was rather easy. Final Jeopardy was hard because I misunderstood the question, which was really dumb on my part. And besides my answer was far from right if it was written the way I thought it.

Justin impressed me tonight, he and Ryan had the chainsaws running with the buzzer. It's too bad if he wins tomorrow he has to wait a while for the next taping. Also I have a friend who knows Justin.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Ryan and Justin next to each other on the set looked like they could form a band and call themselves:

The Pocket Protectors
Who Took Our Lunch Money?
Stuffed In A Locker
The Swirlies
Ouch... I wasn't going to say it. :P
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

This FJ! made me giggle, then think of my friend's new shirt.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Unfortunately, I can help as I can be a real knucklehead on FJ clues sometimes. I took the clue's wording to mean some animal not around anymore. Crossing the mountains around that time sounded like Hannibal and the elephants and I guessed wooly mammoth.
I think it was the "3rd century BC" part, for some reason I thought that as meaning circa the years 3000BC - 2000BC (ie the 3rd millennium) instead of 301BC-200BC - my first thought was the elephants too, but I figured that was too long ago, and couldn't think of any news event of significance in the 3rd millennium BC, so stayed with "elephant".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Ryan and Justin should head to Hollywood and star in a movie about two geeky friends who have zany adventures. :geek: It would probably be better than most of the junk we see. :ugeek:
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

It doesn't really matter in the end, and I'm sure nobody but me care, but it's "LA" casserole, not "LE" casserole.

Sorry but it bugged me ;-(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Like Mark, my first thought was an extinct animal and came up with saber tooth tiger. I knew that wasn't right and somehow thought maybe it wasn't an animal and went with Cathiginian. right idea, but just didn't land in the right spot.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Looking for a ruling — how about statue for bust in the Caesar category?
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

It just occurred to me that Justin reminds me of Barry Livingston, the actor who played Ernie Douglas on My Three Sons.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
Roadgeek Adam wrote: Judges on "note card" for index card?
I say "yes".
heisman65 wrote: Looking for a ruling — how about statue for bust in the Caesar category?
I'd say that a bust is just a specific form of statue. If it wasn't accepted, it should at least get a BMS.

My wasted youth watching westerns gave me Bat Masterson right away, although the bit about the cane is a legend. FJ was also an instaget from another TV special that I saw (on NetFlix) about a year or so ago. Until then, I thought that Hannibal had brought elephants to Italy and that they gave him a big advantage fighting the Romans. Turns out the one surviving elephant had nearly no effect.

So FJ corrected a common historic misconception and the Bat Masterson clue propagated one. Par for the season.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I liked that the player took a chance on the last clue of breaking the lock. The number of possible responses was fairly limited, so guessing an random old west personality had a decent chance of being correct. I hate it when people don't even take a chance of getting back in the game, especially when they could very well be correct.