Monday, February 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, February 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by periwinkle »

slam wrote: I agree that it's very reasonable to expect that Purim >> Book of Esther. But Purim wasn't mentioned in the clue, just "Vashti" and "Ahasuerus". For my typical 5-year Jewish child, those are also Pavlovian for the Book of Esther, for gentiles out there, maybe not so much but it's certainly gettable by a non-Jew as we saw (in a world where Drake is Jewish, I suppose India could be also, but I'm assuming not).
Wonder if they would give that clue with Mordecai and Haman instead? (The two other major figures in the Book of Esther) And if that would be easier or harder for non-Jews?

On the other hand, while my Jewish teen could have told you the entire story of Esther (having been in several Purimspiels), and if asked who the queen/heroine was (given Vashti and/or Ahasuerus) would have immediately said Esther, he had forgotten that the book of the Torah is called The Book of Esther. I think he was stuck on Megillah (the scroll containing the Book of Esther, which is read on Purim, and the source for the phrase "the whole megillah").

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

periwinkle wrote:
slam wrote: I agree that it's very reasonable to expect that Purim >> Book of Esther. But Purim wasn't mentioned in the clue, just "Vashti" and "Ahasuerus". For my typical 5-year Jewish child, those are also Pavlovian for the Book of Esther, for gentiles out there, maybe not so much but it's certainly gettable by a non-Jew as we saw (in a world where Drake is Jewish, I suppose India could be also, but I'm assuming not).
Wonder if they would give that clue with Mordecai and Haman instead?
I think if you asked most five-year olds about Mordecai, they'd go "Ohhhhhhh!" or "Hmm hmm hmm!" instead.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

periwinkle wrote:
Wonder if they would give that clue with Mordecai and Haman instead? (The two other major figures in the Book of Esther) And if that would be easier or harder for non-Jews?

On the other hand, while my Jewish teen could have told you the entire story of Esther (having been in several Purimspiels), and if asked who the queen/heroine was (given Vashti and/or Ahasuerus) would have immediately said Esther, he had forgotten that the book of the Torah is called The Book of Esther. I think he was stuck on Megillah (the scroll containing the Book of Esther, which is read on Purim, and the source for the phrase "the whole megillah").
You did a lot better than I did since I didn't even bother asking my high school aged sons the clue. There's no way my older son would deign to give an answer. :( My younger son would look at me and wonder why I was asking such a silly, easy question. On the other hand, they attended a Jewish day school (albeit Reform) from Nursery through 8th grade, so they aren't typical for this purpose.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Must be why I didn't get Esther then — I'm not Jewish. :lol:
As Slam says, Esther was an instaget for me just from the mention of Vashti and Ahasuerus (though we say her name to rhyme with “Wash-tee,” not “Smash-tie” as Alex pronounced it). On the other hand, though I’m better versed in the New Testament than many of my fellow Jews, I had no clue on I Corinthians. So I guess it all evens out.
India, on the other hand, had too much of a clue on 1 Corinthians. Or not quite enough. She was in a dead spot there. You may remember that the $400 clue was "HATRED STIRRETH UP STRIFES: BUT LOVE COVERETH ALL SINS". India's response of 1 Corinthians might have seemed random, but I think I know what happened. If you've been to a few church weddings, you've probably heard a reading from 1 Corinthians 13:
  • Love is patient, love is kind.
    It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
    It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,
    it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
    Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
    It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
It's easy to see how the Proverb in the clue could stir up hazy memories of those verses. Of course, in the King James Version, that chapter doesn't mention "love" at all. It's all about "charity". But that's an easy thing to forget.