Ideal changes for Season 28

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Nicky
Contributor
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:48 am

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by Nicky »

NJCondon wrote:I would like to see them extend the ToC to three weeks, with a field of 25, but maybe it's too late for them to implement that simple and sensible change in time...
That would not be good, Nick. You're just saying that because of what would have happened had it not been for Jay and Mark, and others like that to come.
Last edited by Nicky on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:25 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Area

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by NJCondon »

Nicky wrote:
NJCondon wrote:I would like to see them extend the ToC to three weeks, with a field of 25, but maybe it's too late for them to implement that simple and sensible change in time...
That would not be good, Nick. You're just saying that because of what would have happened had it not been for Jay and Mark, and others like that to come.
Sorry, I appear to have omitted the "self-serving joke" tag on my post...

Nicky
Contributor
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:48 am

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by Nicky »

By the way, not that I'm glad myself that didn't happen! In fact, I was crying on June 16 after seeing Stuart Tuttle win!

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:I'm well aware that you're content just saying things are wrong without explaining. E.g. your first post in this thread.
I knew someone would explain it.

ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by ej!fan »

An idea for a change.

Have a precall option for FJ. I often do it at home during that commercial break and a few times a year I'm actually right. I'd like to see the contestants try and win something extra like a trip if they get it right.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by dhkendall »

ej!fan wrote:An idea for a change.

Have a precall option for FJ. I often do it at home during that commercial break and a few times a year I'm actually right. I'd like to see the contestants try and win something extra like a trip if they get it right.
Dislike.

Who really does precalls outside of this group? (Even I (and possibly several others) rarely attempt it). During the commercial break they're too busy sweating over their wager, why make it run longer with a precall? (I know that since this part of the show isn't aired, making it longer doesn't add to air time, but it does make the day longer for everyone involved in the show (from the tech crew to the host, to the contestants waiting in the wings)).

(See this game (last column in DJ!) (and only about two others in that season before they abandoned the idea) for a "show retooling" intent on having the contestants trying to win something extra and failing miserably (the concept failing, that is, the contestants didn't do that bad considering the convolutedness of the concept)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4727
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
ej!fan wrote: (See this game (last column in DJ!) (and only about two others in that season before they abandoned the idea) for a "show retooling" intent on having the contestants trying to win something extra and failing miserably (the concept failing, that is, the contestants didn't do that bad considering the convolutedness of the concept)
Man, I would love to see the return of that type of category, although I would hope that they would give a more involved explanation to the contestants of how it works, off the air, to make sure that all 3 understood the concept.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
ej!fan wrote: (See this game (last column in DJ!) (and only about two others in that season before they abandoned the idea) for a "show retooling" intent on having the contestants trying to win something extra and failing miserably (the concept failing, that is, the contestants didn't do that bad considering the convolutedness of the concept)
Man, I would love to see the return of that type of category, although I would hope that they would give a more involved explanation to the contestants of how it works, off the air, to make sure that all 3 understood the concept.
No sir, I don't like it.

I did like the delicious evil of the first columns of this game though: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1786
(As if the stress isn't already hard enough on the players and their memory... :twisted: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Invictus (7), Money Monster (8), The Infiltrator (7), Nina (4)

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote: (See this game (last column in DJ!) (and only about two others in that season before they abandoned the idea) for a "show retooling" intent on having the contestants trying to win something extra and failing miserably (the concept failing, that is, the contestants didn't do that bad considering the convolutedness of the concept)
Man, I would love to see the return of that type of category, although I would hope that they would give a more involved explanation to the contestants of how it works, off the air, to make sure that all 3 understood the concept.
No sir, I don't like it.

I did like the delicious evil of the first columns of this game though: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1786
(As if the stress isn't already hard enough on the players and their memory... :twisted: )
Indeed, I was unaware of that game, I definitely would like to see more of that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9942
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by Bamaman »

I liked the one of two category, but not the "Bonus" category. Too gimmicky.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11089
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Ideal changes for Season 28

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
I did like the delicious evil of the first columns of this game though: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1786
(As if the stress isn't already hard enough on the players and their memory... :twisted: )
Who was the archivist for those first columns? mrbungle?

Post Reply