Your Screenname: What inspired it?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Your Screenname: What inspired it?

Post by Rex Kramer »

titchat wrote:titchat is not what came up but simply a modification of what I generated.
I generously assumed it was the answer to, "What do you get when you cross a chickadee with a parrot?"

Rex
Binky
Contributor

Post by Binky »

My screen name is the name of a character that was on a book of matches in an advertisement from an art school. The ad said, "Draw Binky any size except like a tracing" and send it to the school for a free evaluation. I did, and they told me my drawing wasn't very good. So I gave up my pursuit of art and got a computer science degree instead. :D
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

MXC= An abbreviated name for the TV show called Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, which aired on SpikeTV from 2003 to 2007. It is a re-dubbing of an older Japanese show called Takeshi's Castle. It featured contestants trying to conquer physical obstacles and storm the castle to defeat Takeshi (played by notable Japanese actor Takeshi Kitano). The re-dubbing was vastly different- fake names for contestants and writing with an adult tinge (Spike TV motto: First Network for Men). One of the funniest shows (in either form) that I've ever seen.

Takeshi= As seen above, can refer to either Takeshi's Castle or Takeshi Kitano. I've used this name online for about 10 years on various sites, and just decided to stick with it.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Binky wrote:My screen name is the name of a character that was on a book of matches in an advertisement from an art school. The ad said, "Draw Binky any size except like a tracing" and send it to the school for a free evaluation. I did, and they told me my drawing wasn't very good. So I gave up my pursuit of art and got a computer science degree instead. :D
I thought all those art schools told everyone they were great. Another illusion shattered.
Leander

Post by Leander »

It's a bit disconcerting to find that a newer member has a screen name very similar to my real name. I keep finding myself thinking "hey! I didn't write that!"
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Believe it or not, mine has nothing to do with Ken Jennings, although that obviously wouldn't be such a bad thing. My first name is Ken, and my screen name is a play on "Next of Kin."
Causa Mortis

Post by Causa Mortis »

Causa Mortis - Latin for "in anticipation of your demise." It normally means a gift right before death. But, it also happened to be a clever name for our law school softball team.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Causa Mortis wrote:Causa Mortis - Latin for "in anticipation of your demise." It normally means a gift right before death. But, it also happened to be a clever name for our law school softball team.
Do me a favor, and don't bother with my birthday, wouldja?
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Leander wrote:It's a bit disconcerting to find that a newer member has a screen name very similar to my real name. I keep finding myself thinking "hey! I didn't write that!"
If it's me, then sorry pal.

Ironically, "Richard Kane" is not even my real name. I just think it sounds cool (and the fact that my username turns out to be pronounced "arcane" was a nice surprise I discovered after I began this account; it was not my design!).
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

I'd been in the habit of using "peach" screen names, including the variation of "assorted box of peaches" (though, grammatically speaking, perhaps should have been "box of assorted peaches," but anyway). One person said "I'm going to start calling you peachbox," and I just adopted it.
brainpower

Post by brainpower »

Success at Jeopardy! requires brainpower.
Watching Jeopardy! is my favorite two percent of the day.
cougarslav
Contributor

Post by cougarslav »

My college mascot was a cougar, and I have a certain fascination with certain Slavic cultures. Hence cougarslav.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

cougarslav wrote:My college mascot was a cougar, and I have a certain fascination with certain Slavic cultures. Hence cougarslav.
I would have guessed that you were being held captive in John Mellencamp's basement. :)
Sheepin' it real.
cougarslav
Contributor

Post by cougarslav »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
cougarslav wrote:My college mascot was a cougar, and I have a certain fascination with certain Slavic cultures. Hence cougarslav.
I would have guessed that you were being held captive in John Mellencamp's basement. :)
Is it too late to change my answer? I like yours better.
lpmastor
Contributor

Post by lpmastor »

It's just the 8-character long version of my initials and last name that I got given when I first got email at university (and back when it mattered if your email name was no more than 8 characters long). Plus it sounds like I'm underground DJ who is still into vinyl.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

It's a character from Portal, a puzzle/adventure PC game I highly recommend.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wheatley wrote:It's a character from Portal, a puzzle/adventure PC game I highly recommend.
Technically Portal 2.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

True but I don't want to so much as suggest playing the games out of order, that would rob you of a great experience.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Hm. I never responded to this.

I am a cultural Mennonite (in that I like the food and my ancestors were part of the second wave of North American migration during the 1920-30's). I do speak Plautdietsch when I'm around my people and am generally pretty proud of my heritage - although I would like to distance myself from some of the theology the M. Brethren church holds true.

I have been using this handle online for at least 15 years, I thought it was funny when I was 16. See, we're pacifists, but I'm a knight who fights. Get it? Huh?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

My handle is the title to Chapter 22 of Catch-22, the only book ever to make me laugh out loud, and repeatedly so. The book was on the table when I signed up for an ID for JBoard, and I happened to remember this chapter title for its alliterative quality, making it easy for me to remember. (Although MajorMajorMajorMajor woulda been cool, too).

No other deep thoughts went into this. I tend to wing it on a lot of things.