FJs for the 7/25/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 7/25/11 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Please check this box if you are voting in the poll.
97%
The 2003 bestseller "The Meaning of Everything" is subtitled "The Story of" this reference classic
63%
This miracle that happens in all 4 gospels, including Mark 6 & Luke 9, has elements that symbolically represent Jesus
59%
On the run following the siege of Oxford, he surrendered May 5, 1646 near Newark on Trent
64%
Surus was the last known one of these to survive a mountain crossing in the 3rd century B.C.
92%
A James Dean memorial can be found adjacent to this structure, located at one of the high spots in Los Angeles
38%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
2%
OPERAS WITH CHARACTERS $1600: Daland, a captain of the high seas who meets a mysterious stranger
31%
THEIR DEBUT NOVELS $1600: 1940: "Native Son"
52%
LOCAL COLOR $1200: Mavi is Turkish for this, the color of a landmark mosque there
33%

Total votes: 64

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 7/25/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

7/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOKS ABOUT BOOKS

7/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2003 bestseller "The Meaning of Everything" is subtitled "The Story of" this reference classic

7/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NEW TESTAMENT

7/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This miracle that happens in all 4 gospels, including Mark 6 & Luke 9, has elements that symbolically represent Jesus

7/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROYALTY

7/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On the run following the siege of Oxford, he surrendered May 5, 1646 near Newark on Trent

7/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD HISTORY

7/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Surus was the last known one of these to survive a mountain crossing in the 3rd century B.C.

7/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LOS ANGELES LANDMARKS

7/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A James Dean memorial can be found adjacent to this structure, located at one of the high spots in Los Angeles

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Oxford English Dictionary
Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes
Charles I
Elephant
Griffith Observatory
The players were 5/9 (60.00%) with a 2-2-1-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper followed by two the players had correct.

OPERAS WITH CHARACTERS $1600: Daland, a captain of the high seas who meets a mysterious stranger

THEIR DEBUT NOVELS $1600: 1940: "Native Son"

LOCAL COLOR $1200: Mavi is Turkish for this, the color of a landmark mosque there

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Flying Dutchman
Richard Wright
Blue
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: FJs for the 7/25/11 week

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Decent enough to go out on.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :(

Nice way to end the season. Bring on the SHC!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Wild guessed George I for Wednesday's, but now that I reflect on it, it's becoming clear to me that he didn't come that long before George III. Basically I was stuck knowing that there was a King James in 1607, and that George III reigned during the American Revolution, certain only of there having been two Georges in between. I'm not positive that I would have gotten Friday's without a cue from my dad (see the thread), but it seems likely enough that I counted it.

Blanked on Wright (whom I got in the ToC), clammed on Blue Mosque. Proud of myself for the Flying Dutchman get.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:?: :?: :?: :mrgreen: :?:
:?: :mrgreen: :?:

knew I hadn't done well this week, but YIKES!
tg for Hannibal!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:?: :? :(

Wasn't sure if I clammed or incorrectly answered the first one, though I did clam the middle one and I know I answered incorrectly on the mosque (I think I said "purple", thinking "mavi" is close to "mauve")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Not a great way to end the season.
OCSam
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Water into wine for the miracle.

I finished Season 27 with 23 correct FJ's in the last 25 episodes.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Got Monday because I'm familiar with the book. (The same author, Simon Winchester, also wrote The Professor and the Madman, also about the OED.)

Guessed on Charles I and elephants. Said water into wine and Hollywood sign. Purple for the mosque.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had no idea about the OED or Flying Dutchman clues, but I watched Rebel for the first time earlier this summer and Robert Wagner talked about the memorial at the observatory. Nice way to end the season!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Solid week for me in FJ to end the season.
billiej

Post by billiej »

:mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

:D :D :( :D :(
:( :D :(

Well, it's not the 4/5 that I wanted, but that just wasn't going to happen this week, as I have never heard of Charles I nor the Griffith Observatory. That still leaves me with a respectable 63% for the season.

Operas With Character was a rough category for me, Debut Novels went much better, and I realized I should have said "blue" a moment after I blurted out "pearl" (which was stuck in my head after seeing it mentioned in a crossword clue for AGRA).

Thanks Mark for doing the polls again this season. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates all of your hard work! :P
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

:x :D :D :D :x
:D :D :x

I was torn between the Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood Sign. Of course, I chose the sign. :evil:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote:
Thanks Mark for doing the polls again this season. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates all of your hard work! :P
You're welcome and it's my pleasure to do it each season. This last section of the season was strange with work over three boards. I'm not the greatest with data back-up, so I don't have all the information to run a toughest poll for the final third or the toughest FJ for the season.

I am going to bow out of that one and pick things up when the new season starts. If someone else wants to track down the polls here and at the BAM Bored (I think it was about four weeks in that I started the polls there, so about three weeks with no poll anywhere?) then have at it.

One way to do it that I'm not interested in tackling is to pick up to 12 FJ clues for the final third and poll that. Even without the poll votes count a fair estimate of the tough clues should work well enough. That winner could then go against the high vote getters from the previous polls on the Sony board. That job is up for grabs and I'll go back on duty in September.

I'll vote
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Got the elephant and the Dutchman.

All the rest is dreck. What a pathetic week.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Extremely belated posting (for some reason I hadn't yet):

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Interesting that my week was bookended with misses. Like most of the final weeks of this season, I was able to only watch one or two of the games live (or really, at all) this past week (thank you, dedicated FJ posters!), so a majority of these were played off the thread. I think I've had a pretty good past month or so on FJs, which is new for me, so that was a nice way to close out the season, though I'm still chasing that ever-elusive perfecto. :)

Went for Webster's on Monday. I had a small feeling about the OED, but didn't follow through on it whatsoever. Took the Hollywood Sign neg-bait on Friday...I've certainly heard of the Griffith Observatory (and seen it in films...or at least one film, "Bowfinger"), but there was no way in Helsinki I would have been able to place the name, or even come up with the location.

(As for the ones I got right...Tuesday I was darn near close to whiffing it, but finally decided to go with the fishes & loaves at the end of my artificial 30 seconds. For the record, I'm a Christian [LDS/Mormon to be more specific]. Wednesday...I know very, very little about English kings, but somehow, Charles I just stuck out to me, and I went with it pretty early. Thursday was instaget territory.)

As always, thanks, Mark, for your dedication to creating the polls each week. :)
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:
:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Negged with the Hollywood Sign, and couldn't come up with the proper name of the miracle. And had not a clue on the opera - it was not one of the ones that I crammed the weekend before I taped.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Perfect week gone bad on Friday. NHO the Griffith and saw Rebel way too long ago--said Hollywood sign.
In and out of the pool four times
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Bleh. Not the worst way to end the season, but missing Tuesday's FJ hurts.