Wednesday, February 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6783, 2014-02-26

Arthur Chu game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Stephen Mellis, a security officer from Washington, D.C.
Lindsey Stallings, a lab technician from Carmel, Indiana
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 6-day cash winnings total $158,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. Is it too soon to start making Ken Jennings comparisons? Our current champion, Arthur Chu, is averaging --averaging over $26,000 for each of his 6 victories. Will Lindsey and Stephen be able to make a dent in that today? We'll start finding out right now. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round with these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TOY STORY (4/5)
A BUG'S LIFE (5/5)
THE INCREDIBLES (4/5)
UP (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BRAVE (5/5)
PIX-"R" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 13 R, 0 W
Stephen: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Lindsey: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Arthur: $5,000
Lindsey: $2,600
Stephen: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There is a Washington connection for two of our players on the program today. Stephen Mellis from Washington, D.C., wrote and published, at the age of 13, a novel?

Stephen: Yes.

Alex: What was it called?

Stephen: It was called, "Dink Jones: Pentagon Lab Rat Explorer."

[Laughter]

Alex: Wow. How many pages?

Stephen: 151.

Alex: How many copies did you sell?

Stephen: [laughs] Maybe 20 or 30.

Alex: Yeah. Did you have fun, though? Have you continued writing since then?

Stephen: Not professionally, but I would like to get back into it some day.

Alex: Yeah. Okay, good luck there.

Alex: Lindsey Stallings is a lab technician from Carmel, Indiana. Ran her first marathon just a few weeks ago, and what helped you?

Lindsey: Around mile 19, right where you're about to hit the infamous wall, there was a trivia mile. They had signs set up with questions and answers that you can solve along that last mile to get you through. I think I learned it, but I mostly thought about how much I really wanted sugar at that exact moment.

[Laughter]

Alex: Really? So those signs were a little bit like Burma-Shave. Or are you a little too young to remember those Burma-Shave--

Lindsey: I know Burma-Shave.

Alex: Yeah? Okay.

Alex: Arthur Chu is our champion. I mentioned the Washington connection. You were part of an improv group in Washington?

Arthur: Yes, an improv comedy troupe.

Alex: Okay, now, who were the other members?

Arthur: It was all these Washington highfliers, like an aide who worked for House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer and someone who wrote for the Hill.

Alex: But none of them was an elected official, right?

Arthur: No, no, no.

Alex: Because they have no sense of humor, you know.

Arthur: Well, yeah.

[Laughter]

Alex: They could not be part of an improv group.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephen found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Arthur had $5,600, Lindsey had $3,200, and Stephen was at $1,800. Stephen made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

UP $600: In their military careers, Princes William & Harry were both primarily trained as pilots of these

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE INCREDIBLES $800: Golly, gosh & this phrase of wide-eyed wonder, Katharine Hepburn's response to "I love you" in "Alice Adams"

UP $1000: Before his untimely death with Will Rogers, this aviator made the first solo airplane flight around the world

TOY STORY $1000: A group of ninjas fight using a style of martial art called Spinjitzu in this line from Lego

UP $800: After repairs in Burbank, this company's Electra 10E served as Amelia Earhart's last plane

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $7,000
Stephen: $5,000
Lindsey: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POLITICAL CONVENTION KEYNOTERS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LITERARY DOCTORS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NEW ORLEANS (4/5)
"PHIL"-OSOPHY (5/5)
POP CULTURE (4/5)
PEAS ON EARTH (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lindsey: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Stephen: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Arthur had $8,200, Lindsey had $3,600, and Stephen was at $5,000. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $8,200.

LITERARY DOCTORS $2000: Shipwrecked in the South Seas, Edward Prendick stumbles on the island of this doctor who's creating human-animal hybrids

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Arthur had $27,200, Lindsey had $10,000, and Stephen was at $5,800. Arthur wagered $7,000.

POLITICAL CONVENTION KEYNOTERS $1200: Republicans, 1944:
this Californian future chief justice
(Arthur: Who is Rehnquist?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP CULTURE $1200: Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin & Andrew Dice Clay were all in this 2013 Woody Allen movie
(Stephen: What is To Rome with Love?)

POLITICAL CONVENTION KEYNOTERS $1600: Democrats,1992:
this African-American former Texas congresswoman

NEW ORLEANS $2000: The airport serving New Orleans is in this nearby city, also the name of the toy company that introduced the Easy-Bake Oven

LITERARY DOCTORS $1600: Magazine stories about this young doctor spawned several movies & a TV series starring Richard Chamberlain

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $22,600 (lock game)
Lindsey: $10,800
Stephen: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SINGERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Arthur: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Lindsey: Wager $4,801 to cover Stephen.
Stephen: Risk between $0 and $1,800, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only solo artist to have 5 Billboard No. 1 albums before the age of 19

FINAL SCORES
Stephen: $7,800 - $5,000 = $2,800 (Who i Shirley Temple) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lindsey: $10,800 - $6,000 = $4,800 (Who is Britney Spears?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Arthur: $22,600 - $600 = $22,000 (Who is Britney Spears) (7-day champion: $180,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $23,400, 30 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lindsey: $10,800, 10 R, 0 W
Stephen: $6,600, 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 30/60 = .500
Stephen: 11/59 = .186
Lindsey: 10/58 = .172
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A BUG'S LIFE $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) Most spiders are solitary; communal homes like this one show that a few species are this other "s" word, like ants, termites, & some wasps

A BUG'S LIFE $600: When this larvae grows up, it'll become one of these familiar butterflies that you may have seen in your backyard

THE INCREDIBLES $600: This expression for "wow, incredible!" is also what's seen coming out of the Vatican to indicate a new pope has been chosen

POP CULTURE $2000: The logo of this brand
of cocktails is seen here

POLITICAL CONVENTION KEYNOTERS $2000: Democrats, 1968:
this long-serving senator
from Hawaii

NEW ORLEANS $1200: The National World War II Museum has a reproduction of the New Orleans-built landing craft most famously used on this day

NEW ORLEANS $800: This song, recorded by Louis Armstrong in 1938 & many times after, is played at every New Orleans NFL home game
(Arthur: What is "What A Wonderful World"?)

POP CULTURE $400: Texas Tech head football coach Kliff Kingsbury, seen here, looks a lot like this star of "Half Nelson" & "Drive"

NEW ORLEANS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew displays a satellite image on the monitor.) On its way to New Orleans, this hurricane had 115-mile-per-hour winds & was Category 3 on August 27, 2005--the next day, it became a Category 5

CORRECT RESPONSES
helicopters
gee whiz
Wiley Post
Ninjago
Lockheed
Dr. Moreau
Earl Warren
Blue Jasmine
Barbara Jordan
Kenner
Dr. Kildare
Justin Bieber
social
a monarch butterfly
holy smoke
Skinnygirl
(Daniel) Inouye
D-Day
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
Ryan Gosling
Katrina
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Singers
The only solo artist to have 5 Billboard no. 1 albums before the age of 19.

Spoiler
Who is Justin Bieber? Stephen said Shirley Temple; Lindsey and Arthur both said Britney Spears.

Arthur Chu: $22,600-$600=$22,000...now a 7-day champion with $180,000
Lindsey Stallings: $10,800-$6,000=$4,800
Stephen Mellis: $7,800-$5,000=$2,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Night-ranger
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Night-ranger »

So excited for this game. Go Arthur!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Night-ranger wrote:So excited for this game. Go Arthur!
Mister Chu, you know, the time has come
And you know that you're the only one
To say, okay
All those DDs
You go looking for
You know those boys
Don't want to play no more
With you
It's true

But you're motorin' . . .

Rex
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

For Arthur's huge emphasis on strategic game play above all else, he made some mistakes today. In DJ, he kept going back to the author category after he had already found the DD in it, then he risked the lock with his $7000 bet when he did find the DD.

FJ was tricky. Beiber was my first thought, but then I discounted it because I knew he only had 2 or 3 studio albums, so I didn't see how he could have had five number 1s. Turns out, the other two #1s are albums of remixes. Must be nice to be able to just rerelease songs you had originally released a year before, and have those albums go platinum. I don't actually write down my FJs so I can't say for sure if I would have gotten it, but I'll give myself credit, because nobody else came to my head to replace him.

Britney had 4 #1s by the age of 21, but it took until she was 26 to get her 5th. By the time she was 18, she had only released one album, though it did hit #1. Now, excuse me while I go watch the video to "...Baby One More Time."
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Welp... Alex tried, but the curse just would not work. :(
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Welp... Alex tried, but the curse just would not work. :(
What curse?

I too thought of Bieber but discounted it in favor of Rihanna. My thought process was similar to soxfan's in that I know Bieber only had a couple of albums, where it seems like Rihanna releases an album per year or so.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Thought Arthur rushed the last DD, had he not done so he probably would have realized Rehnquist was not a good answer, but from his reaction it didn't appear he would have gotten to Warren either.

Helluva run at the end to lock it up.

Could not beliebe FJ was a TS. :roll: :D
Last edited by Golf on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have no idea where I pulled out "Gee whiz" on the first clue. "Holy smoke" above it was a clever clue.

Bug's Life for $600 was confusing. "When this larva grows up, it becomes one of these butterflies…" I said "What is caterpillar?" which answers the "this" and not the "these", but I quickly corrected to "monarch".

I went 15/15 on the entire left half of the J! board, but skunked Brave and got only $200 in Up. Also went 3/5 in Pix "R", having NHO Red and couldn't get Rear Window.

I love how the categories were Pixar-themed, and they still put another Pixar film in the "Pix-R" category. Someone on the writer team must really, really like Ratatouille since they have clues on it all the time.

====

DJ! was fairly easy too. Even though I didn't run anything, I got a lot of clues.

I am probably the only person who got Dr. Moreau because someone referenced it in relation to the Canadian cartoon Spliced, which is about a gang of mutated animals on an island.

I gotta feeling that "Black eyed pea" was a tad overvalued at $2000.

Still no idea who Ryan Gosling is. Never heard of Drive or Half Nelson, either.

Philbin was my only miss in "Phil", since I thought they wanted a guy named Phil, and I thought Reege was retired.

====

No, not Miley, she was an answer in the main game. Not Taylor, she only has four albums, and I'm pretty sure her debut didn't top the Billboard 200. I have absolutely no idea. I just couldn't get away from female artists, and I doubt even a hint of "male artist" would've steered me to Justin.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

No Jeopardy! for those of us in the Detroit area, instead we get to watch the State of the City address for a city that most of us in the broadcast area do not actually live in.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

UniquePerspective wrote:
What curse?
He said something at the beginning of the episode like, "Is it too soon to make Ken Jennings comparisons?" Usually it seems like the contestant loses when Alex makes these kind of comments.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Fantastic run to get the lock at the end there.

Allow be me to the first to howl about a wrong answer, though. Assuming I heard correctly, there's no such thing as the NYFD. It's the FDNY.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Leander

Post by Leander »

Not that it affected the outcome, but Arthur's response of "Jolly Green Giant" was incorrect. I don't remember if the question asked for the brand or company, but the brand is Green Giant and the company owner is General Mills. Jolly doesn't appear anywhere.

I would have guessed Taylor Swift for FJ, but had no idea.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Still no idea who Ryan Gosling is. Never heard of Drive or Half Nelson, either.
I know this is kinda your gimmick, but he's one of the most popular actors in the world. You need to hang out with more women.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
esrever

Post by esrever »

Another great game for Arthur. What a move to bet $6,000+ for a true Daily Double and get it! Congrats, Arthur!

Picked up a whole bunch of Lach trash: "Gee whiz", "Wiley Post", "Lockheed", "Barbara Jordan", "Kenner" and "Dr. Kildare"

Didn't get FJ. Guessed Miley Cyrus instead, forgetting that her name was an answer in the main game. I was thinking only of female singers, for some reason.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was pretty sure it was going to be someone recent, but had a total brain freeze on new artists. I could only come up with Miley Cyrus, but she had been used in the game so she was out. Went with Michael Jackson just to have something. Sadly, I was thinking about Beiber earlier today when I saw a thread about him on another message board I frequent.

Nice run by Arthur to seal the lock late. Bad miss on Rehnquist.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Bug's Life for $600 was confusing. "When this larva grows up, it becomes one of these butterflies…" I said "What is caterpillar?" which answers the "this" and not the "these", but I quickly corrected to "monarch".
I had exactly the same problem with that clue. I was borderline on whether I should give myself credit at home, but ended up not doing so.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Philbin was my only miss in "Phil", since I thought they wanted a guy named Phil, and I thought Reege was retired.
I had a very similar problem. My first thought was people with the first name Phil. I know Phil Donahue is a former talk show host, but I didn't think he had hosted any sports-themed show, so I remained clam. But the first name "Phil" wouldn't leave my head, so there was no way I was getting to Philbin even though I obviously know who he is. (But it doesn't help that I'm unaware of the sports show in question.)

I managed to get Wiley Post, Dr. Kildare, and Kenner. I also got the Earl Warren clue -- I didn't know all the relevant details, but I knew that Earl Warren had a politically partisan career in the mid-20th century before becoming a Supreme Court Justice, and I knew he was a Republican (and thought he might have been, like, a vice-presidential candidate in an election against FDR, or something like that [Now that I look it up, I see it was actually the 1948 election against Truman]).

I was pleasantly surprised to get FJ. It was a guess.

I happen to know that Justin Bieber was born in 1994, so he's probably still 19, and it sort of feels like he's been around a while, so I thought there was a chance he had 5 albums that did well. I thought that other people, like Taylor Swift or Adele or whoever, might have not been quite so ridiculously young when they had albums that did well.

(If I remember correctly, the FJ clue didn't say a year or time period? I tried to also think of longer-ago stars who had success when relatively young, like Michael Jackson or Stevie Wonder, but stayed with the kid from Ontario.)
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:
What curse?
He said something at the beginning of the episode like, "Is it too soon to make Ken Jennings comparisons?" Usually it seems like the contestant loses when Alex makes these kind of comments.
*ding*
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Today's FJ signals the onset of the Apocalypse.