Alex Trebek appears on Fox News

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Alex Trebek appears on Fox News

Post by jpr281 »

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Alex Trebek appears on Fox News

Post by zakharov »

None of those hosts should be allowed on TV. That "list of categories you don't go to" was the least funny thing I've ever seen.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Great plug for Bob Harris's book!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I love how they started off dealing with the elephant with a bad haircut in the room first (the reason they had Trebek today as opposed to two months from now - or two months ago, basically said the controversy was utter nonsense, then moved on to fill the other nine minutes with the behind the scenes stuff I like. (I think they lakes more about Dana's appearance than Arthur's).

Even the hosts, who seem to be cut from the same cloth as the Facebook commenters, didn't give it much attention at all.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I thought Alex did an excellent job of keeping them under control when they tried to diverge into nonsense.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

slam wrote:I thought Alex did an excellent job of keeping them under control when they tried to diverge into nonsense.
Alex brooks no nonsense from anyone.

I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but at my first audition (College, back in '95), Alex showed up and did a Q&A during the test grading. He said that we could ask anything we wanted so long as it didn't contain "um, err, so, OK, or like..." Sure enough, the first guy he calls on says, "So, ..." Alex just holds his hand up, and says, "Thank you. Next question?"
TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder »

To be honest, that doesn't make Alex look very good. What a jerk, how embarrassing for that kid.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Not trying hard enough.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

econgator wrote:
slam wrote:I thought Alex did an excellent job of keeping them under control when they tried to diverge into nonsense.

I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but at my first audition (College, back in '95), Alex showed up and did a Q&A during the test grading. He said that we could ask anything we wanted so long as it didn't contain "um, err, so, OK, or like..." Sure enough, the first guy he calls on says, "So, ..." Alex just holds his hand up, and says, "Thank you. Next question?"
LOL! The same thing happened to me when I tried out for College in '95, except I said "um", sheerly due to nerves. I heard it leave my mouth in slow motion, rather like Ralphie's "Ffffuuuuudddgggge" in A Christmas Story. Can't imagine why I didn't make it any further in the Audition process. I learned two valuable lessons that day...

1: Take a deep breath and form the first few words in your mind before speaking. ALWAYS. Served me well in later exploits of public speaking.
2. Alex is WAY shorter than he looks on TV. I know his bio says 5'8" but all I'm saying is that I'm 5'4" and could see over the top of his head when I shook his hand on the way out. I was wearing heels that day but they weren't THAT high. Plus after the Um Incident I was doing my best not to slouch out the door.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OKlibrarian wrote:
econgator wrote:

LOL! The same thing happened to me when I tried out for College in '95, except I said "um", sheerly due to nerves. I heard it leave my mouth in slow motion, rather like Ralphie's "Ffffuuuuudddgggge" in A Christmas Story. Can't imagine why I didn't make it any further in the Audition process. I learned two valuable lessons that day...

1: Take a deep breath and form the first few words in your mind before speaking. ALWAYS. Served me well in later exploits of public speaking.
2. Alex is WAY shorter than he looks on TV. I know his bio says 5'8" but all I'm saying is that I'm 5'4" and could see over the top of his head when I shook his hand on the way out. I was wearing heels that day but they weren't THAT high. Plus after the Um Incident I was doing my best not to slouch out the door.
Where did you take that test?
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

econgator wrote:
OKlibrarian wrote:
econgator wrote:

Where did you take that test?
Memphis--I hope you were at a different one, I'd love to assuage my ego with the notion I wasn't the only poor soul who pulled a Derp of that magnitude. All I can say in my defense is that I was 18 and scared out of my tiny little mind. :-) And that if i ever get on I am TOTALLY using that as an interview story. ;-)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OKlibrarian wrote:Memphis--I hope you were at a different one, I'd love to assuage my ego with the notion I wasn't the only poor soul who pulled a Derp of that magnitude. All I can say in my defense is that I was 18 and scared out of my tiny little mind. :-) And that if i ever get on I am TOTALLY using that as an interview story. ;-)
Check this post: ;)

http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... 370#p96370

I was Sat @ 3:30. Were you the same?
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

econgator wrote:
OKlibrarian wrote:Memphis--I hope you were at a different one, I'd love to assuage my ego with the notion I wasn't the only poor soul who pulled a Derp of that magnitude. All I can say in my defense is that I was 18 and scared out of my tiny little mind. :-) And that if i ever get on I am TOTALLY using that as an interview story. ;-)

I was Friday. I THINK. I've slept since then so I'm not sure, so it easily could have been me you remembered (though it seems like a guy who was also there that day made a similar goof? As mentioned I'm female). In any case that's impressive you saved your letter! I'm pretty sure I threw mine down the trash chute and tried to pretend the whole thing didn't happen for about 6 months. It's a great icebreaker story now, though. :-)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OKlibrarian wrote:
econgator wrote:

I was Friday. I THINK. I've slept since then so I'm not sure, so it easily could have been me you remembered (though it seems like a guy who was also there that day made a similar goof? As mentioned I'm female). In any case that's impressive you saved your letter! I'm pretty sure I threw mine down the trash chute and tried to pretend the whole thing didn't happen for about 6 months. It's a great icebreaker story now, though. :-)
It certainly wouldn't surprise me if there was someone else who made that same error, although it could be my memory as well. I don't remember if Alex was there on both days or just the one. And, to be fair, I'm not 100% certain it was a guy who said it, so you aren't completely off the hook. ;)

Still, it's kinda neat that two people who were in the same place nearly two decades earlier can "meet up" after all that time.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

zakharov wrote:None of those hosts should be allowed on TV. That "list of categories you don't go to" was the least funny thing I've ever seen.
Somebody once told Greg Gutfeld he was funny. He believed them. Fool.
SethAllen623
Contributor

Post by SethAllen623 »

I've seen this interview myself on YouTube, and I suppose that, as they brought up, Chu's performance was just plain controversial. They don't call that guy the "Jeopardy! Villain" for nothing! Remember, even Ken Jennings had his detractors - I can assure you of that. But Chu, with his controversial playing style, has appeared to be getting more hate than love from the "Jeopardy!" fanbase. What if that guy becomes the next Ken Jennings?!? I'm sure there would be more whiners! More unsatisfactory complaints! More mockery from the media! But you need to understand, what "Jeopardy!" is really about is strategy.
prax286
Contributor

Post by prax286 »

In the video Arthur Chu says something to the effect: it was nice playing with Alex and see you in the tournament of champions. Does that mean he is going to lose pretty soon ???
SethAllen623
Contributor

Post by SethAllen623 »

"Prax286," here's my response to your comment: There is a difference between the tape dates and air dates of "Jeopardy!" episodes. I don't know about "Jeopardy!"'s taping sessions, but I think they tape five episodes per day, with a total of 45 five-episode taping sessions per season. In that case, this must mean that Chu probably completed the taping of his run already.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SethAllen623 wrote:"Prax286," here's my response to your comment: There is a difference between the tape dates and air dates of "Jeopardy!" episodes. I don't know about "Jeopardy!"'s taping sessions, but I think they tape five episodes per day, with a total of 45 five-episode taping sessions per season. In that case, this must mean that Chu probably completed the taping of his run already.
Which, if true, means that he didn't break Ken's record. (I recall hearing around day 40 of Ken's run, the incoming challengers were somewhat surprised to face a contestant they say on the previous night's broadcast.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
prax286
Contributor

Post by prax286 »

Five episodes a day ??? That's a gruesome for a returning champion if they keep winning.. Hats off to Arthur. You can love him, you can hate him but you cannot ignore him. I have started following jeopardy for a little under a year but I must say he has probably one of THE fastest reflexes that I have ever seen on the show.. I am a fan