SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle »

I had to go back and double check the Bret Harte one, wondering how I missed the "outcast' TOM, because the way everyone is talking about it, it almost seems like that word is in the clue! But it's not, so whew, I'm not blind! It was a simple miss, not a stupid miss! :)
Last edited by Paucle on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jeff, the irony of course that even "moot point" is used incorrectly. Well, it used to be incorrectly used. With its constant incorrect usage, I think it has now completely inverted its primary definition, turning turtle from "up for debate" to "decided."
Last edited by Paucle on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

And so I give myself ulcers already on the first day of the SHC, probably a personal record. I decided there were only a handful of authors that would best fit the "Kaleidoscope" clue, but I definitely ruled out Bradbury. He's the SF author I've read the most (though it's been awhile) and that title rang zero bells in my mind in connection with him.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Andromus wrote:And so I give myself ulcers already on the first day of the SHC, probably a personal record. I decided there were only a handful of authors that would best fit the "Kaleidoscope" clue, but I definitely ruled out Bradbury. He's the SF author I've read the most (though it's been awhile) and that title rang zero bells in my mind in connection with him.
Yeah, I decided that quote sounded too violent for Bradbury and clammed.

I have not played any of the games in the answers, but I got them all right!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

ej!fan wrote:Words With Friends isn't Zynga, it's Newtoy Inc.
I clammed that one.
Apparently Zynga bought Newtoy last year so they could develop a Facebook version. It's not live yet but supposedly "coming soon". Wish I'd remembered that part of the story before I clammed.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

The video game questions were all instagets for me, but I'll admit that the only reason I instagot Words with Friends is that I uninstalled it from my phone today (none of my family were interested in playing) and noticed that it was from Zynga.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote:Was tempted to go with 'amonteeyahdo' because my brain choked and couldn't remember what to do with the 'L's (that don't, of course, produce the el sound...) A minute of staring at it finally put the letters in the right order, though.
So will my answer of Amantiado be correct under the "I want to give you points" clause?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:
Volante wrote:Was tempted to go with 'amonteeyahdo' because my brain choked and couldn't remember what to do with the 'L's (that don't, of course, produce the el sound...) A minute of staring at it finally put the letters in the right order, though.
So will my answer of Amantiado be correct under the "I want to give you points" clause?
It should. It would pass muster if it was a regular clue, and probably on final since they accept it if you spell it phonetically.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

mrbungle: LOL about "dumbphone." (I use one, too, and I'm proud of it!)
Is it weird that I've never heard of that Poe story? LOTS of people got that right!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

thejeopardyfan wrote:mrbungle: LOL about "dumbphone." (I use one, too, and I'm proud of it!)
Is it weird that I've never heard of that Poe story? LOTS of people got that right!
It's one of Poe's better known stories, so those with a familiarity with his work will likely recall it. His work that stands out to me is:
The Tell-Tale Heart
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Cask of Amontillado
The Raven
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Masque of the Red Death

Less well known IMO are The Purloined Letter, A Descent into the Maelstrom, The Gold-Bug and The Imp of the Perverse.
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

I was so excited about a video games category, but two rip-off Zynga games being the top-scoring clues made me die a little inside.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Not gonna lie, I too was surprised by the predominance of questions about app-based games as opposed to traditional video games. It reminds me of a Cracked article I read recently about the state of the video game industry and how an XBox (or Playstation, I forget) executive lamented over how $1 phone app games were killing traditional video games, with the result being more sequels to titles such as Call of Duty (there are SEVEN of those!) and only a once in a blue moon innovation like Portal.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of sequels, I saw an ad on TV last night for the movie "Final Destination 5". Shouldn't there have been just one of those?
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

hanzz wrote:Not gonna lie, I too was surprised by the predominance of questions about app-based games as opposed to traditional video games. It reminds me of a Cracked article I read recently about the state of the video game industry and how an XBox (or Playstation, I forget) executive lamented over how $1 phone app games were killing traditional video games, with the result being more sequels to titles such as Call of Duty (there are SEVEN of those!) and only a once in a blue moon innovation like Portal.
I do all of my gaming from my phone or iPad. Why pay $60 for a game that is just as entertaining as a $1 or $2 game that you can carry around with you wherever you are?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:Speaking of sequels, I saw an ad on TV last night for the movie "Final Destination 5". Shouldn't there have been just one of those?
They're sequels in spirit.

Now, what I'd like to see for Final Destination 6 (cause we all know there's going to be one in three years...they've got bugger all for a budget and make two, three times that back) is to just go all out. The entire run time should be one single Rube Goldbergian death machine. None of this downtime or implying baloney; basically OK GO's "This Too Shall Pass" video, but 90 minutes long and with death. Bonus points if they make it come full circle.

I'd watch that willingly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

I clammed an entire category on the very first day.

This is not good.
sdgilleran
Contributor

Post by sdgilleran »

UGH Four semesters of Latin and I didn't figure out the connection between canus and Canary Islands. Fail. :oops:
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

So,

I'm confused as to whether I HAD to include chill in the dill pill category or whether the "relax" part of the clue was just for show. I only put dill pill because of this confusion, and I don't know whether I'm wrong or not.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

UniquePerspective wrote:So,

I'm confused as to whether I HAD to include chill in the dill pill category or whether the "relax" part of the clue was just for show. I only put dill pill because of this confusion, and I don't know whether I'm wrong or not.
Ditto with me. I didn't know if the relax was just a gratuitous flourish as the sausage was in the 6 pt question or if he was really looking for the three word response. 'Twould be a cryin' shame if that cost me a perfecto today.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:So,

Ditto with me. I didn't know if the relax was just a gratuitous flourish as the sausage was in the 6 pt question or if he was really looking for the three word response. 'Twould be a cryin' shame if that cost me a perfecto today.
The rhyme time category never requires inclusion of three items. Dill pill is obviously acceptable, especially considering the point value. The "relax" reference was merely a TOM.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide