SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 pm

DadofTwins wrote:I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
Ah, so it is something with inertia, at least in name. But the description still has nothing to do with the First Law of Motion. Rather, it seems to negate the Second Law of Motion. I'd say it's a clue without a correct response.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 pm

jepkid97 wrote:I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
So you will be thrown to the bottom of the rankings, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6873
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 pm

gnash wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
So you will be thrown to the bottom of the rankings, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Oy! You're telling me?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8428
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 pm

gnash wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
Ah, so it is something with inertia, at least in name. But the description still has nothing to do with the First Law of Motion. Rather, it seems to negate the Second Law of Motion. I'd say it's a clue without a correct response.
OK ... what am I missing? The First Law is the Law of Inertia and the dampers negate that.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:50 pm

econgator wrote:
gnash wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
Ah, so it is something with inertia, at least in name. But the description still has nothing to do with the First Law of Motion. Rather, it seems to negate the Second Law of Motion. I'd say it's a clue without a correct response.
OK ... what am I missing? The First Law is the Law of Inertia and the dampers negate that.
I don't know anything about Star Trek, so I am just going by Dad's description, which says they negate the effect of acceleration, which can only be connected to the Second Law.

Negating the First Law would mean things would spontaneously start or stop moving. That doesn't seem similar to Dad's description.

User avatar
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Kent, Washington, USA

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by --Pete » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi,
jepkid97 wrote: I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
I'm not Greek, but I do Olympians.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Swansea, Massachusetts

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Peggles » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:02 pm

NJCondon wrote: Heck, I used to have an empty drawer in my lab marked, "Vorlon Technology."

Inertial dampers for the 3. clue seemed a bit brutal, but it was otherwise a lot of fun.
I still have a few copies of Universe Today and a Babylon 5 Security Manual

I really went off-planet on the 3 pointer. I answered "tractor beams," thinking of stopping the forward motion of ships pursued by the Enterprise(s)

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:18 pm

I would have answered Judas for the 10-pointer, but he seemed way too obvious for that point level. :(
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:09 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA
Contact:

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Uncle Jeff » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 am

DadofTwins wrote:ETA: I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
The question asked how a ship negates the first law (staying at rest), so thrusters and impulse engines seemed to be most correct (since they overcome the ship's inertia). I'm not sure how so many players made the leap to the crew's acceleration with the ship. Did I miss part of the clue?

BTW, Aren't there two people named Judas in the NT? Since Judas is a first name, would that alone be insufficient? :shock: Coming up with Iscariot would then make it more of a 10-pointer.
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen

User avatar
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: New Mexico

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by lisa0012 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:56 am

I think there should be extra credit given for being able to sing My Freeze Ray.

User avatar
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Coastal Ohio

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by jepkid97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:05 am

--Pete wrote:Hi,
jepkid97 wrote: I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
I'm not Greek, but I do Olympians.

--Pete
Yes, but there is a difference. Many people still worship the New Testament, but very few (if any) still worship the Olympians.

That means something, right?

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Rex Kramer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:03 am

I presume it's widely known that, after publishing his famous letters, he became popularly known as Saint "Corinthians" Paul. Right? Anybody?

:cry:

Rex

User avatar
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Kent, Washington, USA

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by --Pete » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:05 am

Hi,
jepkid97 wrote: Yes, but there is a difference. Many people still worship the New Testament, but very few (if any) still worship the Olympians.

That means something, right?
Kidding aside, I do think that there are a disproportionate number of clues taken from the Bible compared to the number taken from other religious works. I feel the same way about the emphasis on French as compared to all other languages. That said, if one knows this to be true, then one prepares accordingly. Studying a French phrase book and maybe some elementary French vocabulary is not unreasonable. Reading the Bible (KJV, since that is what they seem to use) is also not unreasonable. As an alternative, reading Asimov's commentary on the Bible (the exact title escapes me at the moment) will probably get you everything you need to know (other than exact KJV quotes) and is both more enjoyable and more informative.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6838
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm

--Pete wrote: Kidding aside, I do think that there are a disproportionate number of clues taken from the Bible compared to the number taken from other religious works. I feel the same way about the emphasis on French as compared to all other languages. That said, if one knows this to be true, then one prepares accordingly. Studying a French phrase book and maybe some elementary French vocabulary is not unreasonable. Reading the Bible (KJV, since that is what they seem to use) is also not unreasonable. As an alternative, reading Asimov's commentary on the Bible (the exact title escapes me at the moment) will probably get you everything you need to know (other than exact KJV quotes) and is both more enjoyable and more informative.

--Pete
And then as people study for it, they keep categories for it since the contestants do well on it, so hopeful contestants study for it and then...so basically we just need every contestant to bomb Bible and French categories :mrgreen:

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Rex Kramer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 pm

jepkid97 wrote:
--Pete wrote:Hi,
jepkid97 wrote: I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
I'm not Greek, but I do Olympians.

--Pete
Yes, but there is a difference. Many people still worship the New Testament, but very few (if any) still worship the Olympians.

That means something, right?
Yes, it means something: it means you have no excuse for not doing the New Testament, even though you don't worship it!

Rex

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Yes, it means something: it means you have no excuse for not doing the New Testament, even though you don't worship it!

Rex
Hey! This is a family board.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6873
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:54 pm

No, it's a sole proprietorship.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10111
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Okay, I'll ask. How off base was my guess of retro rockets for the inertial dampers clue? Lost in Space was the show that gave me something to try.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1671
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by boson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Argh... The stupid IRS is annoying me even after I no longer have to pay their taxes. How could I forget the 1040 is the number for the form?!?

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Oy vey.

Post Reply