SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya »

Vanya wrote:“ The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person. "
Elsewhere in the Constitution a slave is defined as 3/5 of a person... therefore the maximum tax for each slave was 6 bucks.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

A challenge indeed

Post by tagNV »

OK, I'll bite: is there a reason the SHC thread titles are spelling "challenge" with one L?

:?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I guess DoT said to L with it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wednesday...5/5 in the bible, five clams in the sci-fi category.

Thursday...So close, yet so far from my first ever 10/10 SHC day. Wasn't sure how long they had to wait to regulate slave trade.

Anybody else try to make a Pig Latin out of Mickey Mantle for #7 and the Yankees?
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

--Pete wrote:Hi,
jepkid97 wrote: Yes, but there is a difference. Many people still worship the New Testament, but very few (if any) still worship the Olympians.

That means something, right?
Kidding aside, I do think that there are a disproportionate number of clues taken from the Bible compared to the number taken from other religious works. I feel the same way about the emphasis on French as compared to all other languages. That said, if one knows this to be true, then one prepares accordingly. Studying a French phrase book and maybe some elementary French vocabulary is not unreasonable. Reading the Bible (KJV, since that is what they seem to use) is also not unreasonable. As an alternative, reading Asimov's commentary on the Bible (the exact title escapes me at the moment) will probably get you everything you need to know (other than exact KJV quotes) and is both more enjoyable and more informative.

--Pete
They only do that many French clues so that Alex can use his (snobby) French accent.

Also, that Pig Latin category today was really fun. Thanks, Paucle!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

For the 9-point question (number of circuits in federal court system), it looks like 12 was your intended answer. However, there are in fact 13 federal circuit courts (i.e., courts of appeals). There are the ones numbered 1 through 11; the D.C. Circuit; and the Federal Circuit. So my answer of 13 should be acceptable.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:For the 9-point question (number of circuits in federal court system), it looks like 12 was your intended answer. However, there are in fact 13 federal circuit courts (i.e., courts of appeals). There are the ones numbered 1 through 11; the D.C. Circuit; and the Federal Circuit. So my answer of 13 should be acceptable.
The way the question is worded, it doesn't require the two halves of the answer to necessarily be the same number, so, yeah, I could see it counting.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Asphodel wrote:
oddsox wrote:Pig Latin would make a good Jeopardy category but is pretty easy with unlimited time - just pig latinize all the words in the clue. That said, I really enjoyed the clues.
Agreed--I never would have gotten "Elway" given only a few seconds of response time. (And am I the only one who had to think for a minute whether there were any athletes named "Orway" before deciding to go with Elway?)
This might explain my scores, I usually try to answer quickly and not dwell on them much, be it this, or KJ's weekly trivia (which I often forget to play altogether :( ), or any other trivia thing that doesn't need a time limit. I do this to prime myself for J! so that I answer questions snappily.

After I get on the show, I promise my new idiosyncrasies of the past few years will vanish (I already promised my wife that (in the form of less J! watching))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

dhkendall wrote:So, how are we expected to answer for the Pig Latin clues? For example, for the 4 point one, I saw "OJ", "ojay" (mine, as it's a "Pig Latin word per the instructions) and "OJ Simpson" (which isn't a Pig Latin word, but does answer the clue and the person's intent and demonstration of knowledge is correct. (I didn't see any "Simpson"s, though.)
Dad's instructions were to require the "OJ" - Simpson was optional.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Volante wrote:Looks like we might need a ruling on 'cow' for 'ow-kay'... (as in you get the all ok after all the tests...)
Dad's answer was X-ray from wrecks.

I do not think "ow-kay" from cow works because of the pronunciation. "Ow" is not pronounced the same as the ? sound in OK. I'll let Dad be the final judge.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

DadOfTwins,

On the old board you used to include a "blank" post following the post with the questions, so that people scrolling down wouldn't accidentally see the first poster's responses. Any chance you could do that here? Some people aren't using the spoiler tags.

-M
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

hbomb1947 wrote:For the 9-point question (number of circuits in federal court system), it looks like 12 was your intended answer. However, there are in fact 13 federal circuit courts (i.e., courts of appeals). There are the ones numbered 1 through 11; the D.C. Circuit; and the Federal Circuit. So my answer of 13 should be acceptable.
I did the same thing on that question, and would, therefore, make the same case in support of my answer.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:I don't have a cell phone. I don't play video games. It regularly costs me in trivia games.
And here with TPH being absent from the new board I didn't think I'd have to rehash this yet again ...

Just because you don't do something (or use something, or own something or eat something) doesn't mean you shouldn't know about it or learn about it. Unlike TPH I'm sure that you have a thirst for knowledge, as I think is the binding characteristic of all boardies. You have a recognized hole in your knowledge? Do you actively try to fill it, or just shrug when it comes up in trivia games because it's something you don't want to learn.

Seriously, that's something I've come to expect from TPH, I had to check the user name on this ...
Vanya wrote:Say, didn't we have a tradition of SHCers calling each other out (not that I'm in a position to do that)?
Can I use this rant/post for an excuse to call you out? :)
A bit harsh? I think a lot of people on this board have confessed to holes in our body of knowledge. I know I have (*popular music*). That's way different from TPH's repeated and legendary professions to have never learned anything.

I study many things simply because I'm interested, and some other things just because it may come in handy if some day I get "The Call." Other things are simply so far off my radar screen that I wouldn't clutter my brain with them on the off chance that I get to be a contestant some day and on the off chance that category comes up.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

boson wrote:Argh... The stupid IRS is annoying me even after I no longer have to pay their taxes. How could I forget the 1040 is the number for the form?!?
Yowzah! How did you pull that off, move to another country?

I've been trying for decades to get off their mailing list, and nothing has worked!
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Include me as one that also said 13 because of the Federal Circuit. You probably got a number of D.C. practitioners that way--or government contracts lawyers that practice there.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BoK wrote:
ETA: Further reading of the Wikipedia article reveals it was the Colts, not the Broncos who drafted him in the NFL. I didn't remember that.
Even though I'm a Browns fan and therefore an Elway hater, I always loved that story about him. IIRC, he swore before the draft that he would not play for the Colts if they drafted him, and they drafted him anyway. He answered that he would simply take his ball and go home, that he had options, that he could always pitch in MLB where the fact that the Colts owned his NFL services couldn't touch him. (Man, I'd love to have options like that)

Rather than spend a number one draft choice and come up with a big handful of nothing, the Dolts traded him to Denver for a blocking sled and a couple of kicking tees. I understand he did OK there.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Has Harry Turtledove written the novel yet that has the Colts stand fast, retain his rights, and Elway moves on to MLB to become the first ever player to get elected to the HoF unanimously?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Taxing is not regulating.

Pig Latin is typically phonetic, but is there an official Pig Latin grammar? I doubt that. I noted the possibility of "OK" with my answer (although I decided on X-ray).

Hbomb is absolutely right that there are 13 circuit courts of appeal. I was fortunate to have forgotten that the Federal Circuit is distinct from the DC Circuit, so I wasn't confused by the question. (I was certain about the FRB.)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

John Boy wrote:
boson wrote:Argh... The stupid IRS is annoying me even after I no longer have to pay their taxes. How could I forget the 1040 is the number for the form?!?
Yowzah! How did you pull that off, move to another country?

I've been trying for decades to get off their mailing list, and nothing has worked!
Yup. I moved to another country (or perhaps I should say "moved back to another country"). But that doesn't work if you are a US citizen - you may still have to pay depending upon your residency status.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

I'm happy to take a replacement question in R1D4's 9-point clue. My score might suffer without it. Is that what you meant by "need", DoT?

Rex