SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya »

For frequent flyer I said mileage. Well count it wrong if you must but I knew what I meant!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

My small-potatoes neg on Genghis (first neg of the SHC) emboldened me to guess on the day 6 10-pointer. At least I was correct about .na being Namibia, although that country hasn't got much of freshwater, to say nothing of sharks. And I decided that silicon was #1 and aluminum was #2, and on the other side I completely had no clue what the Eurozone was. Again my assumption about the country was correct, but more to my detriment. My iridium get was nice, though. I automatically went from "rainbow" to chromium, and couldn't figure out what oily country .cr would be. Finally a little voice in my head said that chromium was unsatisfactory, and there was a Greek word specifically for "rainbow" I should dig up. Then it all came together! (And was undone by my negs!)

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8792
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote:Also, wikipedia says that Walter Chrysler was Man of the Year in 1928, not 1929. TIME's list of winners on their website appears to be down right now, so I don't know how accurate wikipedia is.
Hmmm ... His page states 1929, but the "Man of the Year" page shows 1928.

ETA: OK, I checked the Time website. It was 1928. Don't really think it makes a bit of difference, though.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4252
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Ivan wrote:
BoK wrote:I know almost nothing about coloring glass but sites like this and this say that nickel is used to create blue or violet. Does it also make green?
Los Alamos National Laboratory's web-site says so.
http://periodic.lanl.gov/28.shtml
Well, check it out for yourself. Here's a photo of nickel glass, the color of which is arguably blue:

Image

and here is a photo of chromium glass, which is beyond all question green:

Image

Whether there are any fresh water sharks in Costa Rica I leave to others to hash out.

ETA: Wikipedia's page on the bull shark, one of the most common freshwater sharks, shows its range as extending over most coastal waters, including those of Costa Rica. It is, in fact, the same species that inhabits Lake Nicaragua.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11089
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:My small-potatoes neg on Genghis (first neg of the SHC) emboldened me to guess on the day 6 10-pointer. At least I was correct about .na being Namibia, although that country hasn't got much of freshwater, to say nothing of sharks. And I decided that silicon was #1 and aluminum was #2, and on the other side I completely had no clue what the Eurozone was. Again my assumption about the country was correct, but more to my detriment. My iridium get was nice, though. I automatically went from "rainbow" to chromium, and couldn't figure out what oily country .cr would be. Finally a little voice in my head said that chromium was unsatisfactory, and there was a Greek word specifically for "rainbow" I should dig up. Then it all came together! (And was undone by my negs!)
Attila the Hun also for me. Thanks for giving me company to make me feel better. I haven't gone through all the responses. Am I the only one that spelled Balhaus with and "l" and only one "u?"

hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:44 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by hanzz »

Is there any hope for credit for "airline miles"? If it's any help for my cause, "airline miles" redirects to "frequent flier program" on Wiki.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8792
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

hanzz wrote:Is there any hope for credit for "airline miles"? If it's any help for my cause, "airline miles" redirects to "frequent flier program" on Wiki.
Seems to me they're fairly synonymous nowadays, but that first program was not based on mileage; you would get a $50 voucher if you flew 5 times with the airline.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Swansea, Massachusetts

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Peggles »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Ivan wrote:My intended answer was Nickel and Nicaragua. The profile of Nicaragua in my home encyclopedia on geography pays attention to those sharks (Carcharhinus nicaraguensis) as one of endemic species of Lake Nicaragua, stating that they are the only world's freshwater sharks. That fact was supported by some sources from Internet.
That's funny. I clammed the question, but in looking it up afterward, I figured the correct answer was supposed to be CR for Costa Rica and chromium.
I figured the same. Unfortunately, I did not clam.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Swansea, Massachusetts

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Peggles »

Woof wrote:
Ivan wrote:
BoK wrote:I know almost nothing about coloring glass but sites like this and this say that nickel is used to create blue or violet. Does it also make green?
Los Alamos National Laboratory's web-site says so.
http://periodic.lanl.gov/28.shtml
Well, check it out for yourself. Here's a photo of nickel glass, the color of which is arguably blue:

Image

and here is a photo of chromium glass, which is beyond all question green:

Image

Whether there are any fresh water sharks in Costa Rica I leave to others to hash out.

ETA: Wikipedia's page on the bull shark, one of the most common freshwater sharks, shows its range as extending over most coastal waters, including those of Costa Rica. It is, in fact, the same species that inhabits Lake Nicaragua.
What Woof said! ;)

User avatar
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:04 pm
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Ivan »

Woof wrote:Well, check it out for yourself.
I’d like to clarify my point of view on the matter.

Firstly, there are some substances that added to glass give it a green colour, depending on concentration, temperature conditions, etc. Those substances include nickel, chromium, iron. I don’t think, there is really much controversy.

The problem is that the 10-point clue was based on the fact about unique endemic Nicaraguan sharks. My research shows that there are several species of sharks that can withstand freshwater (including the bull shark and the river shark). However, those species were not considered to be truly freshwater sharks as they spend a significant part of their life in the sea entering rivers and lakes only from time to time. On the contrary, the shark of Lake Nicaragua (Carcharhinus nicaraguensis) used to be thought truly freshwater sharks as it was believed never to leave the lake. Eventually, it was discovered that the Nicaraguan shark uses San Juan river and also leave the lake from time to time. Basing on the fact, it was unified with the bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas) in taxonomy. Unfortunately, my books as well as Internet sources missed the development or simply ignored the fact for the benefit of tourism in Nicaragua.

Research links:
http://www.sanjuansurf.com/natural-wonders.html
http://species-identification.org/speci ... rks&id=449
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/sharkfi ... sharks.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nicaragua

I agree that there is controversy concerning the area of leaving of freshwater sharks. I have submitted my thoughts on the matter to DoT as well as some material for a replacement clue, should he decide it is necessary.

Secondly, I see that you claim that the answer “Cr” implying chromium and Costa Rica should be ruled correct as it perfectly suits both parts of the clue. You’ve provided links to prove it. I think, DoT will hear your voice and rule accordingly.

Proof links:
http://1st-glass.1st-things.com/article ... uring.html
http://www.sharkbookings.com/sharks-rays/bullshark/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.cr

Still I hope I didn’t spoil your day and you enjoyed the rest of the clues as they were oriented more on thinking abilities than pure knowledge. And you and other boardies proved to be really great in both!

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Harwich, MA

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by nlw44 »

I had Nicaragua for the sharks, and thought of nickel first for the element just because of N-I being the first two letters of Nicaragua. But then I outsmarted myself and started thinking about sodium, and how the internet codes are not always the first two letters of the country...AARGH. No perfecto for me. At least Namibia never entered my thought process, though I'm just as wrong as if it had.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

User avatar
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I clammed on the entire elements category. I was happy to pull penny farthing out of my Aquitane.

User avatar
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Coastal Ohio

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by jepkid97 »

It looks like the two that I answered were both wrong, and I clammed on the only one that I would have gotten right. Bad day.

User avatar
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:11 am
Location: Fortress of SHC-itude
Contact:

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by DadofTwins »

It seems the wording debate on the "freshwater sharks" clue comes down to whether "freshwater" means "can survive without salt water," "prefers fresh to salt," or "cannot survive in salt water."

If you take the former definition, the clue is invalid, because plenty of sharks can process fresh water if they have to. It's not their preference, but it won't kill them.

If you take the second definition, the clue is worded perfectly. The sharks of Lake Nicaragua spend most of their time in fresh water but sometimes jump river rapids to swim in the open ocean. Of all the shark species, the Lake Nicaragua sharks seem to spend the most time in fresh water, and are the only ones to express that as a preference.

There are no known sharks that meet definition three, though a number of fish species do.

As a writer, then, I'm inclined to give Ivan the benefit of the doubt. I can see how the facts he was working with led to the clue wording he gave.

The question is whether the confusion rises to the level of a replacement clue. I don't think it does. The standard for an RQ is "fatally flawed." The existence of a second possible correct response (in this case, Cr), means there is an additional opportunity to score if you have extra knowledge about glass coloring.

But so far I'm not seeing the case either that a) there are no correct answers, or b) that a knowledgeable person was prevented from scoring by knowing more about the topic of the clue than the writer.

Nutshell: Ni and Cr are both good. And unless I hear from somebody that they would have given a correct response were it not for their understanding of the term "freshwater," we'll let the rest of the scoring stand.

And hopefully, Ivan will submit more categories for the writing team. Talented, this one is.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2095
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote:
StevenH wrote:Also, wikipedia says that Walter Chrysler was Man of the Year in 1928, not 1929. TIME's list of winners on their website appears to be down right now, so I don't know how accurate wikipedia is.
Hmmm ... His page states 1929, but the "Man of the Year" page shows 1928.

ETA: OK, I checked the Time website. It was 1928. Don't really think it makes a bit of difference, though.
This is similar to the Best Picture Oscar problem, where a movies wins "for" the year it's released, but wins "in" the year the awards are given.

Chrysler's win was reported in the January 7, 1929 issue of Time. You could say he won "in" 1929. (I wouldn't, though. I'd assume the issue came out a week ahead of it's cover date, as magazines usually do.) But he won "for" 1928, and is the 1928 Man of the Year. I wouldn't say this fatally flaws the question. But if someone said "The Owen D. Young Building" by all means, give 'em that replacement question.

-M

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1678
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash »

DadofTwins wrote:Nutshell: Ni and Cr are both good. And unless I hear from somebody that they would have given a correct response were it not for their understanding of the term "freshwater," we'll let the rest of the scoring stand.
I think that's reasonable as far as not accepting other answers goes. I'd benefit from a RQ (answered Br), but I can't make a case that I deserve a chance to equalize my score with those who answered Ni or Cr.

However, it is possible that somebody clammed because they saw one half of the clue as pointing to Cr and the other half to Ni. If there are such cases, then a RQ is warranted. Maybe it should be offered only to those who claim they were in this category.

User avatar
bigbor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:19 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by bigbor »

Hi, I'd like to request a RQ for the court district question (R1D4 9 points) as I clammed on that one. Thanks!

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2095
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

bigbor wrote:Hi, I'd like to request a RQ for the court district question (R1D4 9 points) as I clammed on that one. Thanks!
You'll find the replacement question in the Week 2 Day 1 thread.

-M

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

bigbor wrote:Hi, I'd like to request a RQ for the court district question (R1D4 9 points) as I clammed on that one. Thanks!
Welcome back, bigbor! Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home.

Post Reply