SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by DadofTwins »

This is where we discuss the clues, ask for rulings on unexpected answers, and otherwise chat about the game. Please make sure you've played all available days for the current week before checking in here.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Was tempted to go with 'amonteeyahdo' because my brain choked and couldn't remember what to do with the 'L's (that don't, of course, produce the el sound...) A minute of staring at it finally put the letters in the right order, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Was Twain really the correct answer for the 6 clue in the second category? I know, I should just Pavlov to him any time anyone mentions Missouri in the 19th Century, but it didn't seem like the correct answer to me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

NJCondon wrote:Was Twain really the correct answer for the 6 clue in the second category? I know, I should just Pavlov to him any time anyone mentions Missouri in the 19th Century, but it didn't seem like the correct answer to me.
Yup, it was. The other clue (leading me to a WAG on it) was that, at 6 points, it wasn't going to be too obscure.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

NJCondon wrote:Was Twain really the correct answer for the 6 clue in the second category? I know, I should just Pavlov to him any time anyone mentions Missouri in the 19th Century, but it didn't seem like the correct answer to me.
This reminds me since there was no board around when you were on, Nick, but what was with that "Originally from Lakewood, Colorado" business? Something wrong with DC, huh?
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

alietr wrote:
This reminds me since there was no board around when you were on, Nick, but what was with that "Originally from Lakewood, Colorado" business? Something wrong with DC, huh?
"The city of Washington was built on a stagnant swamp some two hundred years ago and very little has changed; it stank then and it stinks now."

Kidding, just kidding...

I was on the fence about the whole thing up until the last minute. I have never lived in DC itself, so saying that I'm from DC seemed odd. I lived in Greenbelt for 6.5 years, so I thought seriously about using that, but I moved to Silver Spring just a few days before my taping. (My wife was thrilled with the timing on that, let me tell ya, at least until I called her to tell her how I did...) My parents, who still live in Colorado, wanted me to use the "Originally from...," so I decided to go with that rather than worry about choosing to identify myself with one bit of the MD suburbs or another.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Ha! So I spend a good part of an hour getting my Poe stories mixed up, going "What was the name of that house that fell?..." only for it to be a moo point. Though that first category was lovely :)
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ivan »

As for me, the first-day categories are OK. Although, American Stories turned to be my terrible fiasco (not a surprise), I did better than I initially thought I would after reading the titles of the categories. The clues about Call Of Duty and The Cask of Amontiliado are really great! Tommorow should be even more positive, I hope.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thought of Call of Duty the exact second I hit "submit". Bollocks.

-M
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Was the Scrabble one really Words eith Friends? It's the only thing I could think of, but when did Zynga buy them? It seems not that long ago we were seeing stories on Dallas news TV about the guys who invented it and their nice little local video game company somewhere in one of the burbs...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I don't have a cell phone. I don't play video games. It regularly costs me in trivia games.

Say, didn't we have a tradition of SHCers calling each other out (not that I'm in a position to do that)?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Note to self: use brain before submitting "Line of Duty". :cry:

Bradbury was one of my guesses. Then again, I could say the same about a few other writers, who would have been wrong answers. :|

Thanks for reminding me that it's been my turn for over a week in a Words with Friends game with my wife. :oops:
JTrivial
Valued Contributor

Post by JTrivial »

Was very happy to see that Words with Friends made an appearance in the SHC! I also play "Hanging with Friends," also made by Zynga (and it also uses the same numbered tiles, which probably renders it an acceptabele alternate answer). It's a great game! You form your opponent's words from a bank of 12 letters, and try to stump your opponent five times.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:I don't have a cell phone. I don't play video games. It regularly costs me in trivia games.
And here with TPH being absent from the new board I didn't think I'd have to rehash this yet again ...

Just because you don't do something (or use something, or own something or eat something) doesn't mean you shouldn't know about it or learn about it. Unlike TPH I'm sure that you have a thirst for knowledge, as I think is the binding characteristic of all boardies. You have a recognized hole in your knowledge? Do you actively try to fill it, or just shrug when it comes up in trivia games because it's something you don't want to learn.

Seriously, that's something I've come to expect from TPH, I had to check the user name on this ...
Vanya wrote:Say, didn't we have a tradition of SHCers calling each other out (not that I'm in a position to do that)?
Can I use this rant/post for an excuse to call you out? :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I request that my answer of "The Outcasts of Poker Flat" be accepted. I read the clue wrong and thought that it wanted the title, but I promise that I still knew it either way.

And I have to say that video games and Literature are great ways to start off the SHC :)
ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan »

Words With Friends isn't Zynga, it's Newtoy Inc.
I clammed that one.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

hanzz wrote:Ha! So I spend a good part of an hour getting my Poe stories mixed up, going "What was the name of that house that fell?..." only for it to be a moo point. Though that first category was lovely :)
I certainly hope that you meant to write "moo" point, and that wasn't just a typo. "Moo point" is a very underused expression these days, and I always enjoy seeing it. In case anyone doesn't know what it means, a "moo point" is like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter; it's moo.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:I don't have a cell phone. I don't play video games. It regularly costs me in trivia games.
And here with TPH being absent from the new board I didn't think I'd have to rehash this yet again ...

Just because you don't do something (or use something, or own something or eat something) doesn't mean you shouldn't know about it or learn about it. Unlike TPH I'm sure that you have a thirst for knowledge, as I think is the binding characteristic of all boardies. You have a recognized hole in your knowledge? Do you actively try to fill it, or just shrug when it comes up in trivia games because it's something you don't want to learn.

Seriously, that's something I've come to expect from TPH, I had to check the user name on this ...
Vanya wrote:Say, didn't we have a tradition of SHCers calling each other out (not that I'm in a position to do that)?
Can I use this rant/post for an excuse to call you out? :)
Ok (now that we are hopefully past my weak spots).

Technology and video games change so fast I see no point in trying to learn about them by reading about them, rather than using them. "I don't have a cell phone" isnt entirely accurate - my wife has one and I regularly help her figure out how to use it :)
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Rarely is there a literature category in which I have actually read two of the stories in question. The Lottery still scares me sometimes. Also on the bright side, my hopeless addictions to both Angry Birds and Words With Friends helped me get 5/5 in that category. Save me.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

jeff6286 wrote:
hanzz wrote:Ha! So I spend a good part of an hour getting my Poe stories mixed up, going "What was the name of that house that fell?..." only for it to be a moo point. Though that first category was lovely :)
I certainly hope that you meant to write "moo" point, and that wasn't just a typo. "Moo point" is a very underused expression these days, and I always enjoy seeing it. In case anyone doesn't know what it means, a "moo point" is like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter; it's moo.
That was no typo, my Friend. ;)
ej!fan wrote:Words With Friends isn't Zynga, it's Newtoy Inc.
I clammed that one.
This screenshot begs to differ.
Attachments
Photo Aug 01, 6 50 26 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 01, 6 50 26 PM.jpg (107.99 KiB) Viewed 7638 times