SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by jepkid97 »

DadofTwins wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:Stupid rhyme time. After running a category yesterday, I clam an entire one today. :(
If it makes you feel better, I only do Rhyme Time because The Show does it.

That said, you have my word that there will never be a Stupid Answers category in the SHC. It' just, well, stupid.
I think it might be fun to have two days to solve Stupid Answers clues.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

omg how stupid am I? Can wednesday's 15 pointer have any more obvious of a TOM?
Maybe DoT needs to write a java script where the TOM literally leaves the monitor and smacks me on the head.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Inertial dampers, not dampeners (maybe this belongs in the pet peeves thread).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:Inertial dampers, not dampeners (maybe this belongs in the pet peeves thread).
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Inertial_damper
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Inertial_dampener

Clearly people are just mixing up their Stargates with their Star Treks. :lol:

Meanwhile...TOS, TNG, all the movies, and I can't recall hearing about those things once...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ivan »

Bible category is great!
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

I'm pretty Bible knowledgable but couldn't come up with Judas. I knew what incident was referred to, but couldn't remember the apostle who it was and had no re-collection whatsoever that John said he was a thief, which threw me for a bit of a loop. Should have just gone ahead with the obvious guess, but I was worried about neg-bait in that slot.
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

Need help with a ruling on "Warp Drive" for the Star Wars hyperspace/hyperdrive clue. The Star Wars people I live with say no, but if there's a case for accepting it I'll hear it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

oddsox wrote:I'm pretty Bible knowledgable but couldn't come up with Judas. I knew what incident was referred to, but couldn't remember the apostle who it was and had no re-collection whatsoever that John said he was a thief, which threw me for a bit of a loop. Should have just gone ahead with the obvious guess, but I was worried about neg-bait in that slot.
I was too. Had it been a make-or-break clue on the show, I would have ventured Judas, but it would have been a clam otherwise, as it was in today's thread. But now I know! And I haven't negged yet this SHC.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

DadofTwins wrote:Need help with a ruling on "Warp Drive" for the Star Wars hyperspace/hyperdrive clue. The Star Wars people I live with say no, but if there's a case for accepting it I'll hear it.
I love the fictional technology category. Thanks DoT!

Hyperdrive is faster than light travel. So is warp drive. Different fictional universes, so saying whether they are the same or not delves more deeply into fandom than I'm willing to go without an inoculation.

I'm puzzled by the first clue though. Newton's first law is "An object at rest remains at rest unless acted upon by external forces. An object in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by external forces." Lots of fictional ways in Star Trek to get around that: does a warp drive exert external forces? It certainly causes an object to move, but in some weird warped-space way. How about shields? How about phasers? transporters? The question seems quite open ended to me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Hyperdrive is faster than light travel. So is warp drive. Different fictional universes, so saying whether they are the same or not delves more deeply into fandom than I'm willing to go without an inoculation.
Since the question explicitly referenced the Star Wars franchise (not to mention the Clone Wars incarnation), I can't see how Warp Drive could be considered a valid answer.
I'm puzzled by the first clue though. Newton's first law is "An object at rest remains at rest unless acted upon by external forces. An object in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by external forces." Lots of fictional ways in Star Trek to get around that: does a warp drive exert external forces? It certainly causes an object to move, but in some weird warped-space way. How about shields? How about phasers? transporters? The question seems quite open ended to me.
To me, too. I thought about the fact that when the Warp Drive is engaged crew members are able to stand on the bridge with no effort and concluded that the artificial gravity technology in use was contravening the demands of Newton's First. :?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

boson wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:Need help with a ruling on "Warp Drive" for the Star Wars hyperspace/hyperdrive clue. The Star Wars people I live with say no, but if there's a case for accepting it I'll hear it.
I love the fictional technology category. Thanks DoT!

Hyperdrive is faster than light travel. So is warp drive. Different fictional universes, so saying whether they are the same or not delves more deeply into fandom than I'm willing to go without an inoculation.

Regarding Hyperdrive and warp drive, I wouldn't count them as the same since the universe was explicitly given.
To put it another way, it would be like accepting Ares when prompted for the Roman god of war.

As to part 2,
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Inertial_damper
IMO, that's a really obscure part of Trek lore to be rated a 3pter though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Paucle wrote:omg how stupid am I? Can wednesday's 15 pointer have any more obvious of a TOM?
Maybe DoT needs to write a java script where the TOM literally leaves the monitor and smacks me on the head.
You know, it's not necessarily that one can't think of something like "freeze ray" (if that's really the correct answer) without having seen one second of a Dr. Horrible video. But for 15 points it seems just too obvious, and to five lose points as well because maybe it has some special name instead of that pretty generic term? Well, I for one just couldn't do it. I'm much more willing to risk the point loss on the 3-pointer, though I have to say that if warp drive isn't correct (and now I'm quite sure it isn't), it's a pretty tough question for 3 points.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Just saw this link about a real invisibility cloak (seems the link was posted yesterday):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43991230/ns ... jmivYJXGwk

I thought the Star Wars stuff in the 12-pointer was "filler" when I answered "Warp Speed". Of course, I also didn't realize that the term is a Trek invention, so probably would've given the same (wrong, I think it has to be) response even if I'd thought it was relevant.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Being required to use Spoiler code is a huge PITA when I'm on my Droid. Is it truly necessary? I don't get why people can't open a thread and just scroll down a tad. That's what I do. I've never been spoiled.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Just saw this link about a real invisibility cloak (seems the link was posted yesterday):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43991230/ns ... jmivYJXGwk
I've seen a large number of talks and papers about these "invisibility cloaks," since they are bordering against my professional wheelhouse; I can attest that they are far, far more limited and less impressive than any popular story makes them seem. As always with media reports of sensational, sci-fi-esque sounding physics results, treat them as 1% science, 99% exaggerations, misunderstandings, and lies.

As for the rest of today's SHC round, I must say that I was shocked beyond all measure to go 4/5 (at least, I think I went 4/5) in a New Testament category; I guess I know the Bible better than a lot of people who were raised by an athiest and a crypto-deist, but I still consider it to occupy the central portion of my hammerhouse.

The sci-fi tech section, though, that's my cup of a beverage that it almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea. Heck, I used to have an empty drawer in my lab marked, "Vorlon Technology." Inertial dampers for the 3. clue seemed a bit brutal, but it was otherwise a lot of fun.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I WAGged on the entire second category (except 15-pt where I clammed), but the question that really confused me was the 3-pt one. What was the intended answer there? There are plenty of anti-gravity devices in sci fi, but that wouldn't fit the FLM part. OTOH, I don't know of a fictional device that would counter the FLM. An anti-inertia device? What would it do?
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

The Fictional Technology category was really, really hard to order correctly. I ended up with 3 clues that were 6-9ish and 2 that were 9-12ish, so I made my best guess.

I thought about putting the whole category in the SJ slot, but since on the Show 75% of Bible categories appear in the first round (yes, I counted) I figured with this particular pairing I'd keep it in the 3-6-9-12-15 slot and hope for the best.

I'll be curious to find out which Technology clues end up playing the hardest to see how close I got.

ETA: I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm with the rest. You placed it in the Star Wars universe, so only hyperdrive/space is acceptable.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Now I feel stupid for missing the Dr. Horrible clue, though I've never seen the show. Freeze ray seems obvious in retrospect. A wheelhouse day otherwise for me, though.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!