Monday, March 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6791, 2014-03-10

Arthur Chu game 10.

CONTESTANTS
Sean Sullivan, a database coordinator from Chicago, Illinois
Michelle Sheffer, a writer and editor from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 9-day cash winnings total $261,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. This has been a strange reign for Arthur Chu. He, uh, appeared on our program a little over a month ago. He won four shows, then had to take three weeks off for two tournaments. Then, he came back and won five shows and had to take last week off for our '90s tournament. But be assured that he practices and studies in those off times. So, Michelle and Sean, you will have to be at your very best today. Good luck to all of you. Here we go. And these are the categories in the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALFRED HITCHCOCK SAID (4/5)
HETERONYMS (4/5) (Alex: These are words that are spelled the same, but they have different meanings and different pronunciations.)
POTENT POTABLES (3/5)
EARLIEST TO STATEHOOD (5/5)
LITERARY TITLE PAIRS (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AMERICAN DECORATIVE ARTS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 15 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Michelle: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Arthur had $3,200, Michelle was in the red with -$1,000, and Sean had a deficit with -$800. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

LITERARY TITLE PAIRS $1000: 1929 William Faulkner title pair
(Arthur: Um... what is... uh... Frannie and Zooey?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Arthur: $3,200
Sean: -$800
Michelle: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sean Sullivan helps out with sick kids, I believe. He performs at a hospital?

Sean: That is correct. Uh, I'm part of an improvisation group in Chicago, and we perform about once or twice a month at a children's hospital. We make everything up. We have fairy tales that involve all of the children that are at the shows.

Alex: Now, kids love it if the performers are in fancy costumes, or they have face masks and stuff like that. They can relate to that very well. Do you guys do that?

Sean: We use whatever we can find. Helmets make good crowns. Scarves make great capes. Scarves make a lot of great everything, actually.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Michelle Sheffer--is that correct?

Michelle: That is correct.

Alex: ...from Philadelphia has an edible garden...

Michelle: I do.

Alex: ...and added a big strawberry patch this year.

Michelle: I did.

Alex: Now, we're talking about a big patch, right?

Michelle: 56 strawberry plants, in fact.

Alex: Now, one of the problems I have discovered over the years--when you have a garden, and you grow a particular fruit or vegetable...

Michelle: Mm-hmm.

Alex: ...you have too much to use...

Michelle: Oh, yes. [Laughs] That's very good.

Alex: ...because they all bloom at the same time.

Michelle: Thankfully, I have very nice neighbors who enjoy--

Alex: Are hungry and enjoy strawberries.

Michelle: ...are hungry and enjoy lots of strawberries.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Arthur Chu is our champion. As you heard at the beginning of the program, he has won a lot of money. That's the good news. The bad news is, he has received an ultimatum from his mother.

Arthur: [Chuckles] She said I have to take care of her now for the rest of her life, so...

[Laughter]

Alex: And you'd better do that, Arthur.

Arthur: For many, many years.

Alex: Yes!

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY TITLE PAIRS $800: A Herman Wouk sequel, later a miniseries

ALFRED HITCHCOCK SAID $1000: Audience members might not agree with Hitch's assessment of this film of his as "a big comedy"

POTENT POTABLES $1000: Black Bush is a special blend of this Irish whiskey--makes sense

HETERONYMS $1000: A new staging of a scene, or an enjoyable activity that refreshes

POTENT POTABLES $800: Creme D'ananas is a liqueur flavored mainly with this fruit, not bananas

LITERARY TITLE PAIRS $600: Turgenev novel with Nikolai Kirsanov & his kid

LITERARY TITLE PAIRS $200: In Shakespeare, a Trojan guy & an unfaithful gal
(Arthur: Who are... uh...?)
(Michelle: Who are Antony and Cleopatra?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $6,000
Sean: $200
Michelle: -$200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VIRGINIA IS FOR FIGHTERS (4/5)
BALLET SETTINGS (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TV BEFORE & AFTER (4/5)
DIALECTS (5/5)
ISLAND PRISONS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"DA" END (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with those two letters of the alphabet.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Michelle: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Arthur had $8,000, Michelle had $1,800, and Sean was at $200. Arthur wagered $4,000.

BALLET SETTINGS $2000: Street scene,
an American desert &
the jail
(Arthur: What is Girl of the Golden West?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Arthur had $5,600, Michelle was in the red with -$200, and Sean was at $2,200. Arthur wagered $3,000.

ISLAND PRISONS $1600: New York City's main correctional facility, it lies in the East River & consists of 10 separate jails

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VIRGINIA IS FOR FIGHTERS $2000: Virginia-born Marine general Chesty Puller earned 5 of these medals with the name of another service

ISLAND PRISONS $2000: A setting in "The Count of Monte Cristo", this island fortress in the Bay of Marseilles once housed thousands of Huguenots

TV BEFORE & AFTER $400: Bob Eubanks is beheaded after asking recently married Edmure Tully & Roslin Frey about whoopee preferences

ISLAND PRISONS $1200: Henri Charriere, aka Papillon, wrote a popular account of escaping this island prison on a coconut raft

BALLET SETTINGS $1200: A ball at the palace,
after the ball &
an enchanted garden

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $18,200 (lock game)
Sean: $7,800
Michelle: $200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN COMPOSERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Arthur: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Sean: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Michelle: You've no hope of catching up... unless Sean does something stupid. So risk $199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A protege of Oscar Hammerstein, he's won Grammys, an Oscar, a Pulitzer Prize & the most Tony Awards by a composer

FINAL SCORES
Michelle: $200 - $200 = $0 (Who is John Williams?) (3rd place)
Sean: $7,800 + $7,399 = $15,199 (Who is Sondheim?) (2nd place)
Arthur: $18,200 - $2,000 = $16,200 (Who is Alan Menken) (261001-day champion: $16,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $24,000, 26 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Sean: $7,800, 13 R, 2 W
Michelle: $200, 6 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $32,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 26/61 = .426
Sean: 14/58 = .241
Michelle: 6/58 = .103
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
EARLIEST TO STATEHOOD $1000: Nevada,
Nebraska,
Wyoming
(Michelle: What is Nebraska?)

AMERICAN DECORATIVE ARTS $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.) What was once the family's dining room has an early American theme with square-backed chairs from around 1800 in the federal style & tankards by this Boston patriot & silversmith

EARLIEST TO STATEHOOD $800: Oklahoma,
Utah,
Arizona
(Sean: What is Arizona?)

AMERICAN DECORATIVE ARTS $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.) Distressed by the discount-store furnishings, this woman reached out to the man who built up Winterthur to redecorate, especially the Green Room; she later wrote to him, "Everything lovely in the White House now is all your contribution"

AMERICAN DECORATIVE ARTS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.) Contrasting with more elaborate rooms is one named for this religious group that believed crafting is an act of prayer & that items should be simply functional

AMERICAN DECORATIVE ARTS $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.) In 1929, Winterthur's owner showed he meant business when he paid a then-record $44,000 for a classic high chest of Philadelphia rococo, outbidding this controversial publisher

ALFRED HITCHCOCK SAID $200: "Television has brought" this crime "back into the home, where it belongs"
(Arthur: What is voyeurism?)

AMERICAN DECORATIVE ARTS $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.) Here in the Delaware countryside, a member of this prominent industrial family spent decades collecting often-overlooked early American art before turning his 175-room mansion into a museum

TV BEFORE & AFTER $2000: An Indian-American doctor enters a fashion design reality competition
(Michelle: What is Mindy Kaling Project Runway?)

DIALECTS $2000: A main dialect of Japanese is Kansai-ben, spoken in Osaka & Kyoto in the western part of this island
(Sean: What is Hokkaido?)

DIALECTS $800: Yooper is an English dialect spoken primarily in this state's Upper Peninsula
(Alex: Good, with less than a minute to go.)

ISLAND PRISONS $400: In the 1840s convicts sent to Australia's Cockatoo Island in this city's harbor had to build their own prison
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Sound & the Fury
War and Remembrance
Psycho
Bushmills
recreation
pineapple
Fathers and Sons
Troilus & Cressida
Billy the Kid
Riker's Island
Navy Crosses
Château d'If
The Newlywed Game of Thrones
Devil's Island
Cinderella
Stephen Sondheim
Nevada
Paul Revere
Utah
Jackie Kennedy
Shakers
(William Randolph) Hearst
murder
DuPont
The Mindy Project Runway
Honshu
Michigan
Sydney
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

American Composers
A protege of Oscar Hammerstein, he's won Grammys, an Oscar, a Pulitzer Prize & the most Tony Awards by a composer.

Spoiler
Who is Steven Sondheim? Michelle said John Williams; Arthur said Alan Menken.

Arthur Chu: $18,200-$2,000=$16,200...now a 10-day champion with $277,200
Sean Sullivan: $7,800+$7,399=$15,199
Michelle Sheffer: $200-$200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Very interesting. I hope Arthur doesn't mind when I say this was probably one of his weaker games at least at first, but yet still enough to get a win.

I too fell for the Antony and Cleopatra trap, I thought Trolius was too obvious with Troy. I also got final wrong because I thought Sondheim was too old to be a "protege" of Hammerstein. So I went with Marvin Hamlisch.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

That first round was absolutely brutal for me and the bouncing didn't help. I did a bit better on DJ but it was a tough board.

FJ was a stand (well, sit) and stare for me. No clue - I just don't know enough about musical theater.

What's worse, missing FJ entirely or going in with $200?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote:What's worse, missing FJ entirely or going in with $200?
That's easy: the former.

No clue on FJ. I said Williams just to say someone.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With $200 you at least have a chance to win if the other two are idiotic in FJ wagering.

We mentioned Hamlisch the other day so went with him over Williams.
Leander

Post by Leander »

The Hammerstein reference made FJ an instaget for me. I was pretty certain it would have been Sondheim anyway, although I couldn't figure what his Oscar was for (turned out to be a song from Dick Tracy). Mencken not a bad guess with the Disney connection.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Picked up lach trash on Navy Cross. Other than that, not a good game for me. No clue on FJ.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Arthur won again with a lock game, even though he missed his first two Daily Doubles (and lost $7,000+). This shows how strong a player he is, to come back from adversity like that.

Picked up Lach trash on "Psycho", "recreation", "Troilus and Cressida" and "Cinderella"

Didn't get FJ. I guessed Marvin Hamlisch instead.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

zakharov wrote:
FJ was a stand (well, sit) and stare for me. No clue - I just don't know enough about musical theater.
If it makes you feel better, I'm a theatre director and because of that, I feel I overthought the question. So probably a happy medium is where you needed to be.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Not great FJ category for me. Went with Bernstein.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

As others have mentioned, this felt like a slightly tougher board than normal. I did worse than my usual average, but I did better than I had done in last week's games.

My most frustrating miss was on the Faulkner DD in the J round. I guess, since Arthur also missed it, I'm in good company, but the best I could do was... "Oh! It's that Faulkner title consisting of two abstract nouns! NOT 'The Agony and the Ecstasy', but something similar! Why can't I think of it?"

I picked up "Bushmill's" and "Devil's Island".

I didn't love the FJ category. Thinking about it during the commercial break, names that came to my mind were Aaron Copland, George Gershwin, Stephen Foster, and Johnny Mercer. A lot of these people are just names to me -- I have a rough idea of when they lived, and in *some* cases I can say the title of one of their most famous works, but I can't answer a lot of follow-up questions.

One creeping thought that entered my head during the break: "I hope they don't ask about the 'Grand Canyon Suite'. What the heck was that composer's name again?" That name is one I only know from Jeopardy! and other trivia games. The best I could do was remember that it had an "F" in it somewhere. (Would they ask for his name in FJ, though?)

When the clue was revealed, my limited knowledge was just enough. Sondheim popped into my head early, and I wrote him down. I didn't know exactly what his relationship with Hammerstein was, but I could believe that he had won multiple awards including many Tonys.

The other possibility I considered was "What's the name of that guy who I sometimes confuse with Sondheim and who died about a year and a half ago, who also won a bunch of different awards?" That name I was trying to think of was Marvin Hamlisch, which I eventually did think of, but Sondheim felt to me like more of a multiple-Tony guy, so I stayed with him.

The previous two weeks, I missed Monday's FJ, so it's nice to start the week on the right foot.

Congrats to Arthur on becoming only the third 10-time champ ever.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I (sort of) know Sean, as we've both posted on the same message boards in the past. Purely his online persona, but he's one of the smartest, funniest people I've had the luck to come across online. I was so glad to see him on here and make Arthur sweat a tiny bit in Double Jeopardy.

A surprising amount of Lach Trash for me on the board. I thought the Jeopardy round may have been tougher than Double Jeopardy even.

Missed FJ, just not my territory. It's definitely something to study up on. At least my guess had some of those awards and was in the same field, but not the right time period really for a protege.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

UniquePerspective wrote: I too fell for the Antony and Cleopatra trap, I thought Trolius was too obvious with Troy. I also got final wrong because I thought Sondheim was too old to be a "protege" of Hammerstein. So I went with Marvin Hamlisch.
I switched from Sondheim to Loewe because I thought Sondheim was too *recent* to be a protege of Hammerstein. Loewe is too much of a contemporary, it turns out. Ah well.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I'm pretty sure FJ was worded "has won" rather than "won", which I took to mean the composer is still with us, which, at least for me, eliminated Hamlisch, Bernstein et. al., and facilitated my educated guess of Sondheim. Some of those stand and stares exposed some serious gaps, I think, in Arthur's knowledge base. But a lock is a lock.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Went with Bernstein. Jeopardy writers always find a way to make everything about musical theater.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Well, I've now tied my FJ score from last week. Let's see if I can beat it tomorrow!

I thought of and quickly dismissed John Williams because I suspected he'd won more than one Oscar and I couldn't think of what Tony he might have won. Then I just worried that Sondheim was more of a lyricist than a composer. Wasn't supersure about Sondheim, but felt like I was in the right ballpark and went with it.

Lots of Triple Stumpers, and I picked up "pineapple," "Troilus and Cressida," and "Chateau d'If." As is typical for me, I thoroughly enjoyed (but went 0/5 in) the Before & After category.
Last edited by naurae29 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Great FJ- I was reminded of the answer in a recent HBO movie called "Six by Sondheim"- among the aspects of Sondheim's life a quite touching tale about how essentially Oscar was his adopted father since Stephen's home situation was so poor(abusive). Gamers of at least a few different flavors should enjoy the content-

[series of archival clips]
CHARLES OSGOOD: In a sense, your fascination with puzzles, you can't help but wonder about whether that's in any way analogous to putting together a show."
Stephen Sondheim: Oh,it is, very much, sure. I think that's what art is, anyway, I mean- after all, a puzzle, like art, is making order out of chaos. Take a jigsaw puzzle, right? It's chaos- you put it together, it's a picture! And I think art is the same way on a slightly higher level.
[narration over apartment-pan]
When I moved to my first apartment in Manhattan, I didn't have enough money to buy prints and put them on the walls, but a girl I knew gave me an early-19th-century game, a weird one called "The New and Fashionable Game of The Jew." It was a dice-throwing chip-betting game that taught kids to be anti-Semitic, and was a hateful game, but was really pretty to look at, and she had it framed for me. And I went to the store where she bought it- it was a rare-books store and the owner had a *lot* of 19th century games, and I bought a lot of 'em, 'cause they only cost 2-3 bucks apiece, and that's what started my game collection."
[speaking now to conductor/composer Andre Previn]
SS: It's a curious and perverted ability to be able to see a word as a collection of letters instead of as having a meaning or a sound. For example, you love puns- so obviously, the sound of words is something you're very into, and you're very quick and good at puns. And, uh, of course you- the precision of your language- you just don't see words as collections of letters. I passed under- when Cinerama first was invented - I passed under the sign that was being erected on Broadway that said "Cinerama" and immediately thought "American" -didn't have to think about it. Cinerama and American are anagrams of each other!
[next clip]
Actually, it was Oscar Hammerstein who got me interested in words and crossword puzzles and anagrams- we played Anagrams at his house and he did the Puns & Anagrams puzzle in the New York Times. As a matter of fact, he encouraged me to send a puzzle in to "The Times" when I was about 13, and I did. And it was rejected very nicely by them with a letter that said they admired my 'perspicacity.' Uh, and, I had to look the word up to find out what it meant."
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Fishercat wrote:I (sort of) know Sean, as we've both posted on the same message boards in the past. Purely his online persona, but he's one of the smartest, funniest people I've had the luck to come across online. I was so glad to see him on here and make Arthur sweat a tiny bit in Double Jeopardy.
I felt very badly for Sean--he really came so close with his strong comeback in the second half of DJ. Oddly enough, this game was kind of similar to last Friday's game. Historic dominant champion builds up a lock, talented challenger furiously tries to break it, just falls short, which is unfortunate as he gets FJ and the leader does not (oh yes, also the third player can't get in). I suspect that if Sean had not had to play the first game of the taping day and had seen Arthur play, he probably would have played accordingly from the get-go and things might have been different with Arthur missing two DDs and FJ. I kind of was hoping that Sean would have been third going into DJ because I thought that he might go for a bottom of the board clue if he picked first. I certainly "pre-called" that the woman in third would go for the $400 clue. She was obviously very bright and seemed to be a very nice person, but she was definitely a lamb being led to the slaughter. I originally thought that way about Sean as well until he got the buzzer down (the Jeopardy round today was one of the most painful rounds I have ever seen) but he played much better in DJ. Of course, Arthur's DD misses kept it close, but that's how Ken Jennings eventually lost (by missing DDs that kept him in striking distance and then missing a FJ that the trailing player got) and that's how Arthur is likely to eventually go. Major props though for moving in to the rarefied air of double digit wins, only achieved before now by Ken Jennings and David Madden.

I know that I am bad at wordplay categories in general, but I was completely skunked on heteronyms. I strongly suspect that Arthur's bouncing strategy worked on me there because I certainly was discombobulated completely. :? I did fairly well on the Before and After category though. Sondheim was a gimme for me because I know his biography. If I hadn't, I might very well have guessed Marvin Hamlisch--that's an excellent wrong guess.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.