Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6792, 2014-03-11

Arthur Chu game 11.

CONTESTANTS
Tony Knechtges, an engineering manager from Grafton, Ohio
Kirsten Albair, a jeweler from Caribou, Maine
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 10-day cash winnings total $277,200)

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT GREAT BIG TEETH YOU HAVE! (4/5)
TRAVEL & TOURISM (2/3)
BESTSELLING NONFICTION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"R"ANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS (4/5) (Each correct response beginning with the letter "R".)
SNACK FACT (5/5)
reddit AMA RESPONSES (3/4) (Ask Me Anything.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kirsten: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Arthur: 9 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Tony: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kirsten: $2,600
Tony: $1,800
Arthur: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tony Knechtges is an engineering manager from Grafton, Ohio, who proposed to his wife in a very romantic setting, I believe.

Tony: I did. Some friends of ours were having a destination wedding on an island off Belize, and one day while we were down there, I somehow convinced her to get in a kayak with me, and she let me paddle her out two or three miles from shore to a sandbar, where I proposed to her.

Alex: And what was the deal in your mind? If she says no, you paddle back alone?
[ laughter ]

Tony: Well, some people have suggested that's why she said yes.
[ laughter ]
Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kirsten Albair is a jeweler from Caribou, Maine.

Kirsten: Yes.

Alex: Hometown girl who is very loyal to her hometown. Tell me what you're doing.

Kirsten: Well, what I have done is to participate in writing a history of Caribou, which was published in 2009, the year of our sesquicentennial. And in the course of doing that, I was able to write biographies of more than 50 past or current residents of the town.

Alex: Does this mean you're up on all of the gossip and all of the goings-on of the people in Caribou? Ccause it's not a big place, is it?

Kirsten: It is not very large, but I'm afraid I don't know much gossip. But I do know most of the people, so that's better.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Arthur Chu. You're doing voice-over work. We keep introducing you as a voice-over performer. And what are you working on right now, a web series?

Arthur: Yes, it's a web series online. It's video versions of comics that have been going on for a while.

Alex: Do one voice.

Arthur: [ deep voice ] I was looking forward to making "Jeopardy!" bend to my will. [ high-pitched voice ] but I'm just so excited to be here.
[ laughter ]

Alex: Scared the daylights out of me.
[ applause ]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Arthur had $2,000, Kirsten had $4,400, and Tony was at $1,000. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

BESTSELLING NONFICTION $600: The first edition of his "Diet Revolution" was a bestseller back in 1972

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
reddit AMA RESPONSES $1000: This director: "That's when I got the idea to make Mookie's girlfriend Puerto Rican"

TRAVEL & TOURISM $1000: A boat on Lake Powell gives great views of this Utah natural bridge that's over 200 feet in both length & height

"R"ANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS $1000: "A wild or semiwild hog... common in the southern U.S."
(Arthur: What is a rooter?)

WHAT GREAT BIG TEETH YOU HAVE! $600: Only about half the tooth sticks out above the gum line in the 2-foot canines of this largest amphibious mammal
(Arthur: What's a walrus?)
(Tony: What is the killer whale?)

BESTSELLING NONFICTION $400: Neurosurgeon Eben Alexander recounts his near-death experience during a coma in "Proof of" this
(Tony: What is Life?)
(Arthur: What is the Afterlife?)
(Alex: No.)
(Arthur: OH!)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kirsten: $4,400
Arthur: $4,000
Tony: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GUINNESS RECORDS 2014 (4/5)
ALBUM COVERS (0/3)
VICE PRESIDENTS (3/5)
GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LAND OF THE "FREE" (4/5)
HOME OF THE CAVE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Kirsten: 3 R, 1 W
Tony: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Arthur had $8,800, Kirsten had $4,800, and Tony was at $1,800. Arthur wagered $4,000.

HOME OF THE CAVE $2000: The Big Room--
this New Mexico national park

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Arthur had $16,400, Kirsten had $6,400, and Tony was at $1,800. Arthur wagered $5,000.

GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY $1200: Oh yah, in 1988, pre-"Fargo", she was Stellllla! in "A Streetcar Named Desire", dontcha know
(Arthur: Who is Frances McDarmond?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VICE PRESIDENTS $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a historical marker in Paducah, KY.) A memorial in Paducah honors this politician from the area, remembered as the oldest man elected vice president; he also helped get the New Deal through Congress
(Arthur: Who is Garner?)

ALBUM COVERS $2000: Pink Floyd:
2 men, one of whom is on fire, shaking hands

VICE PRESIDENTS $1600: After his years as vice president, he served as U.S. ambassador to Japan under Bill Clinton

LAND OF THE "FREE" $1600: Moving independently, like Bob Dylan in the title of a 1963 album
(Arthur: What is Free Falling?)

ALBUM COVERS $1600: 2010:
a tastefully nude Katy Perry prone on a cloud of pink cotton candy

GUINNESS RECORDS 2014 $800: Germany's Zollner Elektronik is credited with the "largest walking" one of these automata, a dragon 52' long

ALBUM COVERS $1200: Justin Timberlake:
the singer, clad in a tuxedo, getting his eyes examined

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $17,000 (lock game)
Kirsten: $5,200
Tony: $2,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL TITLES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Arthur: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kirsten: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Tony: You've no hope of catching up... unless Kirsten does something stupid. So risk $2,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this 1951 novel comes from the hero's fantasy of rescuing children falling from a cliff

FINAL SCORES
Tony: $2,200 - $2,000 = $200 (What is Cliffhanger?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kirsten: $5,200 + $799 = $5,999 (What is The Catcher in the Rye?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Arthur: $17,000 + $3,000 = $20,000 (What is Catcher in the Rye) (11-day champion: $297,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $18,600, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 8 W (including 1 DD)
Kirsten: $5,200, 10 R, 1 W
Tony: $2,200, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $26,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 25/61 = .410
Kirsten: 11/58 = .190
Tony: 8/58 = .138
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHAT GREAT BIG TEETH YOU HAVE! $1000: The spiny ray above the snout of this fish, a fisherman itself, is its rod, a baitlike piece of flesh is its lure

WHAT GREAT BIG TEETH YOU HAVE! $200: Check out the choppers on this royal dinosaur; some could be 6 inches long

"R"ANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS $600: "A variety of lettuce... having a cylindrical head of long, relatively loose leaves"
(Arthur: What is Rapunzel?)

WHAT GREAT BIG TEETH YOU HAVE! $400: Looking at those teeth I'm glad to report that actual attacks on people by this fish are rare

SNACK FACT $400: Bear with us; Honey Maid makes these grahams in chocolatey chip as well as in chocolate
(Arthur: What are -- honey grahams?)

WHAT GREAT BIG TEETH YOU HAVE! $800: The 8-inch teeth of this animal extinct for 10,000 years were shaped like curved swords
(Tony: What are mastodons?)

reddit AMA RESPONSES $400: This rocker: "'School's Out', 'Billion Dollar Babies' were very creative times"
[end-of-round signal sounds]

GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY $1600: Before midnight, the stage ran red as Ethan Hawke opened as this tragic thane in 2013
(Arthur: What is [*], it's bad luck for me to say it.)
(Alex: Oh, ok.)

HOME OF THE CAVE $1600: Marvel--
this Missouri vacation city
(Kirsten: What is Magic Cave?)

GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY $800: This man seen here hit the Great White Way in 1993 as Abe Lincoln in Illinois
[Arthur pronounces his response carefully, Alex laughs]

VICE PRESIDENTS $800: In 1814 this VP from Mass. for whom a political term is named died in office having served less than 2 years
[Arthur pronounces it with a soft "G"]
(Alex: It's pronounced [*] [with a hard "G"], but [*]--)
(Arthur: Gerrymander is--)
(Alex: I know, that's one of those weird things about our language.)

GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY $400: In 2008 "The Word" was you could catch the kids of Rydell High at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre in this show
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Dr. Atkins
Spike Lee
Rainbow Bridge
a razorback
a hippopotamus
Proof of Heaven
Carlsbad Caverns
Frances McDormand
Alben Barkley
Wish You Were Here
Walter Mondale
freewheeling
Teenage Dream
a robot
The 20/20 Experience
The Catcher in the Rye
an anglerfish
T. rex
romaine
a piranha
Teddy Grahams
a saber-tooth tiger
Alice Cooper
the Scottish Play, or Macbeth
Branson
Sam Waterston
(Elbridge) Gerry
Grease
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Novel Titles
The title of this 1951 novel comes from the hero's fantasy of rescuing children falling from a cliff.

Spoiler
What is The Catcher in the Rye? Tony said Cliffhanger.

Arthur Chu: $17,000+$3,000=$20,000...now an 11-day champion with $297,200
Kirsten Albair: $5,200+$799=$5,999
Tony Knechtges: $2,200-$2,000=$200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MultiMediaWill
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MultiMediaWill »

What did Artur say that caused him to lose the daily double? Also, what did Artur say when he mumbled something after saying the correct response to a question?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

I wonder if one of today's contestants got a stern talking-to from Maggie after the game. I also wonder if they apologized to Alex.
This should be an interesting read on the archive. Best wishes to the person who gets to transcribe it.
pauljanssen

Post by pauljanssen »

Hmmmmm...... so "Catcher in the Rye" is the same as "The Catcher in the Rye?" Because only the latter is technically correct. But I don't know the Jeopardy rules on this, so I'll defer to someone who does.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Arthur's misfiring a bit more lately (e.g. accidentally duplicating "freefall"), but he's still rebounding when it really counts.

====

Ran Snack with ease.

Romaine was my only miss in "R"andom House. I WAGged raddichio and had an "oh, duh, pick the only kind of lettuce you know".

DD in Nonfiction was the easiest clue in the category by far. Arthur should be glad they threw him a bone there.

Walrus was an easy neg on Teeth for $600. Even after the other the other negs, I was completely lost. I wouldn't

I thought "Free agency" was undervalued at $400. Lucasfilm was way overvalued at $2000.

Guinness for $1600 seemed like a shot in the dark. Chihuahua? Teacup poodle? Yorkie? Also saw no way to get "high heels" at $1200. Robot at $800 was easy to overthink.

Lach Trash: Razorback (how was that a TS?), Freewheeling.

"What the heck tourist city is in Missouri?!?" Again, I'm an idiot.

We might've cleared DJ! if Alex and Arthur hadn't gotten so gabby on the Gerry clue.

I would've loved to see if the whole Album category would've been stand-and-stare had they finished it. Seems like they had a lot of stand-and-stares the last time

And for the 7th day in a row, I didn't even have a guess. "Hmm, people falling off a cliff. Catch… Catch… What the hell book has 'catch' in it? I got nothing." Even though I'm very well aware that The Catcher in the Rye is a book, and I could've just as easily latched onto Catch-22 as a wrong but not entirely unforgiveable response…
Tacos

Post by Tacos »

MultiMediaWill wrote:What did Artur say that caused him to lose the daily double? Also, what did Artur say when he mumbled something after saying the correct response to a question?
He said Francis McDarmond instead of Francis McDormand - must really suck to lose $10k over a single letter...

For the second one, Alex corrected his pronunciation of VP Elbridge Gerry (actually pronounced with hard-g) and Arthur tried to reason that he was going off of "gerrymandering" but Alex swatted that away.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Meh. I'm trying very hard to be respectful of anyone smart enough to pass the test and make it on the show...but these last few games haven't been very interesting to watch. Missed DDs, bad/careless negs, stand-and-stares galore, and somehow no one has made him pay for his mistakes. 11 games worth of him hunting down DDs and draining the board of high value clues, and when the challengers get control, sometimes for a few clues at a time, even when down multiple thousands with time running out, they still take them top-to-bottom. They're barely putting up a fight.

/rant

Instaget FJ.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Arthur did much better in the DJ! round than in the J! round. He had more wrong answers than usual, but he still won. He's really a superb player.

Picked up Lach trash: "Rainbow Bridge", "razorback", "hippopotamus", "robot"

Didn't get FJ.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

MultiMediaWill wrote:What did Artur say that caused him to lose the daily double?
He said Frances McDarmand instead of McDormand.
MultiMediaWill wrote:Also, what did Artur say when he mumbled something after saying the correct response to a question?
After Arthur correctly said Gerry ("Jerry"), Alex corrected his pronunciation (it's said like "Gary"), then Arthur said "well, like Gerrymandering..." and Alex replied "Well, it's one of those things in English..."

Perhaps Arthur was a little ticked off because the next response was Sam Waterston, which Arthur enunciated very slowly and deliberately.

Picked up Lach trash on Spike Lee and Razorback. Did not get FJ.
Tacos

Post by Tacos »

xxaaaxx wrote:Meh. I'm trying very hard to be respectful of anyone smart enough to pass the test and make it on the show...but these last few games haven't been very interesting to watch. Missed DDs, bad/careless negs, stand-and-stares galore, and somehow no one has made him pay for his mistakes. 10 games worth of him hunting down DDs and draining the board of high value clues, and when the challengers get control, sometimes for a few clues at a time, even when down multiple thousands with time running out, they still take them top-to-bottom. They're barely putting up a fight.

/rant

Instaget FJ.
To be fair, the first few games of his run were all close to the end and exciting but I agree, the last 4-5 games have been pretty ugly and occasionally frustrating to watch.
pauljanssen

Post by pauljanssen »

xxaaaxx wrote:Meh. I'm trying very hard to be respectful of anyone smart enough to pass the test and make it on the show...but these last few games haven't been very interesting to watch. Missed DDs, bad/careless negs, stand-and-stares galore, and somehow no one has made him pay for his mistakes. 11 games worth of him hunting down DDs and draining the board of high value clues, and when the challengers get control, sometimes for a few clues at a time, even when down multiple thousands with time running out, they still take them top-to-bottom. They're barely putting up a fight.

/rant

Instaget FJ.
They seem to just give up when he catches them, as if there were an air of inevitability in the room. A killer player is needed.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Finally a game in which my Coryat is better than my average. My first such game in a while.

Among the Lach Trash I picked up was "Wish You Were Here" and "Freewheeling" in reference to Bob Dylan, causing me to say "I guess none of the three of you are big classic rock fans."

I knew the correct pronunciation of "McDormand", but I actually would have gotten "Waterston" wrong (I erroneously thought it was "Waterson" without the second T).

I got FJ quickly without "knowing" it per se. How would you rescue people falling off a cliff? By catching them. The 1951 date sounded about right, and I could see Holden Caulfield as being more heroic in his imagination than in his daily life.
Ian W

Post by Ian W »

Arthur was funny when he deliberately pronounced Sam Waterston after being penalized on Francis McDarmund. If it came out "Waterson", Alex would not have accepted the answer.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

The McDormand daily double was obviously edited. It makes me wonder what happened behind-the-scenes. I can easily see Alex just quickly saying, "Correct," but then production staff running up on stage to correct it. Visioning that, I can see why Arthur would be upset, just from the psychological impact of it and feeling like it was unfair (as opposed to if his 'mispronunciation' was so completely off that Alex instantly rejected it).

FWIW... there was another contestant who said "Cracker Jacks" in the clue about Take Me Out to the Ball Game even though the correct lyric is "Cracker Jack." But I guess since the clue was looking for the product name and not the exact lyric, that's acceptable.
chipbell

Post by chipbell »

pauljanssen wrote:Hmmmmm...... so "Catcher in the Rye" is the same as "The Catcher in the Rye?" Because only the latter is technically correct. But I don't know the Jeopardy rules on this, so I'll defer to someone who does.
The judges will not penalize you for leaving off the "The" at the beginning of the title unless there is another book called "Catcher in the Rye". The example that Maggie uses is the 2 different books titled "Invisible Man" and "The Invisible Man" which would not be interchangeable.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

mdude04 wrote:But I guess since the clue was looking for the product name and not the exact lyric, that's acceptable.
The product name is "Cracker Jack." It's become common parlance to use the plural version in the song, also substituting ever for never in "I don't care if I ever get back." I've even seen "Cracker Jacks" displayed on an MLB scoreboard with the rest of the lyrics during the 7th inning stretch when the song is sung.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

It really sounded like Arthur said "Freeman's Bureau" and then corrected it when Alex asked him to repeat it. (Full disclosure: I had trouble remembering which it was, but did "ring in" with the right one.)

I randomly visited the Museum of Natural History today after flying a kite on the National Mall, so I especially enjoyed the T-Rex and sabertoothed tiger clues in the tooth category.

Instaget FJ that had me yelling, "You're really asking this? This is an $800 clue!"
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

jpr281 wrote:
mdude04 wrote:But I guess since the clue was looking for the product name and not the exact lyric, that's acceptable.
The product name is "Cracker Jack." It's become common parlance to use the plural version in the song, also substituting ever for never in "I don't care if I ever get back." I've even seen "Cracker Jacks" displayed on an MLB scoreboard with the rest of the lyrics during the 7th inning stretch when the song is sung.
I know Cracker Jack is the product name but there is always more leniency when the response is just the name of a product/item ("what are watermelons?" is just fine if the expected response is "what is a watermelon?") But if they're looking for an exact quotation from a song or otherwise, I'd think it would be more strict.

Given what you said, though, I guess they would probably have accepted it even if they were looking for the exact lyric.