Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I see "it's" for "its" everywhere. I've even seen people do it on Wikipedia, where copy editors usually catch grammar PDQ.
Where what!? I have never encountered a Wikipedia page without glaring grammatical errors. The only thing worse are the glaring errors of fact.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

I heard the D both times, and since I heard the D, I thought Alex asked for the repeat in order to determine the difference between "freedmen's bureau" and "freedman's bureau.". It didn't occur to me that it was the D that was the problem.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sarah0114 wrote:I heard the D both times, and since I heard the D, I thought Alex asked for the repeat in order to determine the difference between "freedmen's bureau" and "freedman's bureau.". It didn't occur to me that it was the D that was the problem.
Same here. I didn't even consider the problem was whether Arthur said "free" or "freed" until I read this thread.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

sarah0114 wrote:I heard the D both times, and since I heard the D, I thought Alex asked for the repeat in order to determine the difference between "freedmen's bureau" and "freedman's bureau.". It didn't occur to me that it was the D that was the problem.
That would be anal. For most of us, most times, there is no difference between freedman and freedmen. If he said them as two distinct words, it might make a difference. But then, there's no such thing as "a freed men"...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I see "it's" for "its" everywhere. I've even seen people do it on Wikipedia, where copy editors usually catch grammar PDQ.
Where what!? I have never encountered a Wikipedia page without glaring grammatical errors. The only thing worse are the glaring errors of fact.

Brian
If you think TPH spends a lot of time reading Wikipedia (or at least the articles of more import and less "fluff" in their subject) then you don't know TPH.

Yes TPH is a long time Wikipedian and admin but it have very rarely seen his name at any page I've been to (and I've been there as long as him). If TPH started reading the articles (bs-ridden they may be) of subjects that will actually help him learn things of do better in the game (hint: *anything* where TPH asks us, instead of Wikipedia, what it is) then he'd be a lot more knowledgeable. But since he hangs out on country music and anime pages he isn't going to see the Wikipedia we see.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

bpmod, I have been run into the ground twice (on the old Sony board) by quoted "poster" about his squawking of that grammatical error. :roll:

And this is why you use the ignore list (one of many reasons).

I say, now that I'm over 50, its a non-issue with me --errors be darned!! :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Same here. I didn't even consider the problem was whether Arthur said "free" or "freed" until I read this thread.
Ditto, although I thought the singular/plural was the issue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Yes TPH is a long time Wikipedian and admin but it have very rarely seen his name at any page I've been to (and I've been there as long as him). If TPH started reading the articles (bs-ridden they may be) of subjects that will actually help him learn things of do better in the game (hint: *anything* where TPH asks us, instead of Wikipedia, what it is) then he'd be a lot more knowledgeable. But since he hangs out on country music and anime pages he isn't going to see the Wikipedia we see.
Hey now, I don't hang out at anime pages… :lol:
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

Arthur, why is it bad luck for you to say Macbeth?

Also, I noticed Alex didn't tell you that you were right, which I assume is what you waited for?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Roland wrote:Arthur, why is it bad luck for you to say Macbeth?

Also, I noticed Alex didn't tell you that you were right, which I assume is what you waited for?
It's bad luck for any actor to say it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_superstitions
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Far too many TSes. FJ Instaget.

Lach Trash: Spike Lee, Heaven, Walter Mondale, Robot

DD: I heard, "Who is Frances or MacDarman?"

I found the carefully spoken "Who is Sam Waterston?" to be engaging. I'd have done the same, with a smile. I wasn't bothered by the "Gerrymander" exchange at all, (except for it eating up time). I found it interesting, but respect if it's taboo....I assume y'all are saying that there is no further discussion permitted after a ruling. I don't think Arthur was rude at all in the way he said it, smiling.

Too many clues left unselected. The challengers ate up some time in clue selection. Arthur was pretty quick with clues, but had those exchanges that ate time.

How the Cracker Jack thing went down:

Category "Snack Fact"
Clue "Take me out to the ball game" requests, "Buy me some peanuts &" this
Tony: "What are Cracker Jacks?"
Alex: You got it.

Again, I don't think Arthur had a bad game at all.
Arthur had 3.27 times Kirsten's #2 money going into FJ. I still think he should have bet to tie someone whose money he can beat by 3x.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I watched the 135 minute Salinger documentary on PBS and I don't think they discussed the Catcher's title origin.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
skullturf wrote:
OldSchoolChamp wrote:And it isn’t “said like ‘Gary,’” either. “Gary” rhymes with “marry” and “Gerry” rhymes with “merry,” and where I come from, those don’t rhyme with each other.
They rhyme for the majority of Americans.
http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dia ... /q_15.html
The majority of Americans also spell possessive “its” with an apostrophe.
Steve, where did you grow up? I grew up in the evirons of Berkeley and to me Mary, marry and merry are homophones.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

econgator wrote:
Roland wrote:Arthur, why is it bad luck for you to say Macbeth?

It's bad luck for any actor to say it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_superstitions
As one who follows this superstition myself, the curse involves saying it in a theater, not a studio (it's a stage curse not a film curse).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Carpe Diem wrote:I wonder if one of today's contestants got a stern talking-to from Maggie after the game. I also wonder if they apologized to Alex.
This should be an interesting read on the archive. Best wishes to the person who gets to transcribe it.
Um, yeah, it was "fun" to enter.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Searching the archive for "Catcher In The Rye" I got 42 results (includes incorrect responses mentioning it). In comparison, Jeopardy! darling "Lindbergh" yields 116 results.

Essentially the same clue, 8 years ago:

#4987, aired 2006-04-25 LITERARY SISTERS $2000: Holden Caulfield tells this little sister that he wants to be a "catcher in the rye" to keep kids from falling

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... in+the+rye

and the same novel came up only a month ago:
#6767, aired 2014-02-04 BOOK COVERS $1000: An iconic cover for an iconic novel: the title in yellow & a line drawing of a carousel horse dominating a slice of New York City

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... in+the+rye

The meaning of the title was "on the test," I'm sure, in high school when it was required reading for my class. We certainly discussed it in class.

My take on the book is that the first chapter was amusing to a teenage boy. The rest became tedious.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I wonder if they would've taken just "The Scottish Play", since there are far more obscure works with that title.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I wonder if they would've taken just "The Scottish Play", since there are far more obscure works with that title.
They weren't looking for the play's title. They were looking specifically for the name of the lead character. Those are the same word. But a play isn't a character even if the play's eponymous.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

UiscePreston wrote:Along a similar but inverse line, my issue was with them accepting "What is 'the Scottish Play'?" when the clue clearly asked for "THIS THANE".
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the superstition? Is it considered bad luck to say "Macbeth" when referring to the character?
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Some actors say it's bad luck to say the word (play or character) in a theater. Wikipedia:
The Scottish Play and the The Bard's Play are euphemisms for William Shakespeare's Macbeth. The first is a reference to the play's Scottish setting, the second a reference to Shakespeare's popular nickname. According to a theatrical superstition, called the Scottish curse, speaking the name Macbeth inside a theatre will cause disaster. A variation of the superstition forbids direct quotation of the play (except during rehearsals) while inside a theater.
Because of this superstition, the lead character is most often referred to as the Scottish King or Scottish Lord. Sometimes Mackers is used to avoid saying the name, mostly in North America.