Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Riot Grrrl/Kathleen Hanna Episode of Jeopardy from Dec 1997

Post by Woof »

caroline wrote:Hi!

I am trying to find Ep 3068 / Air date: 12/24/97 of Jeopardy that asks a questions about Riot Grrrl and Kathleen Hanna (of Bikini Kill/Le Tigre). Does anyone have any leads on where I can find a copy of this episode? Any information would be helpful.
Though not a copy of the episode, you can see the archived version of it here.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by dhkendall »

dmleach wrote:
jpahk wrote:welcome dave, and retro good luck. season 28 boardie solidarity! also, quizbowl + euro board games + puzzle hunts = my kind of guy. i'll be cheering for you.
Thanks very much, Joon! We should have some sort of secret s28b handshake (or a gang sign! even better!) I'd also have mentioned that I enjoy crossword puzzles, but I realize I'm in the presence of cruciverbalist royalty around here. My skill only ranks somewhere around the New York Times Wednesday-and-a-half level.
Or perhaps we should have some sort of "watchword" based on board history. Like if someone approaches someone in the green room with "hoidy-toidy" and the person does not respond with "Ten Pound Hammer", they're not a boardie (and thus you are safe). I'm sure the wits on this board could think of something a lot better.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Leah wrote:
MDaunt wrote:
Leah wrote: Do Saskatchewanians call Manitobans Saskatchewannabees?
No, those are Albertans. We just call Manitobans idiots. They call us banjo-picking toothless hillbillies, which is odd because we have no hills.
You do amuse me.

You can imagine what people from Manhattan and Cambridge call everyone else, but of course talking Foxheads make their livings excoriating us on TV.
Having lived in Manhattan all my post-collegiate life, I certainly can imagine that! Not so sure about Cambridge, having turned down the opportunity to go to school there. :)
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

jgpeterson wrote:Hey everybody!

I'm Jay. I teach English at a two-year college in South Jersey, near Atlantic City. I found this great board after my stint on the show ended last week (Oct 20-21) - it lasted all of an hour, but it was one of the best hours of my life. I started searching for more J!-related stuff online because I think I was, maybe still am, suffering from J! hangover. Or maybe it's more serious - J! withdrawal.

I never thought I'd get on the show. I took the online test a couple of times and heard nothing. Then when I got the email inviting me to the audition, my heart started to race. Holy crap! The auditions were actually fun and later when Glenn called me to book me on the show, I was able to temper my expectations so well that when I did actually win a game, I realized I hadn't even entertained the notion of what I might do with prize money. But I tell you, the 120 day-waiting period after the airing gives you a lot of time to do that. I've been advised to blow it all on coke and hookers. Or, wait, was it not to do that...

I live on the Jersey Shore (btw, fans of the show, remember that they're NOT even from NJ!). I grew up in Toms River, NJ, but have had a few detours in PA, OH, and MO. Love to travel - have hit the lower-48, saving AK and HI for their own special trips, and I absolutely love to take photos abroad too, especially now that I've found someone who loves it as much as I do.

Also, if there are any ultramarathoners out there, would love to connect. I've run 50-milers, but am looking to conquer the 100-mile distance next. I played D-III soccer in college, but then I quit and took up triathlon to fill the void.

I guess the theme of my post here is the myth of that "hedonic treadmill." Next project - get a poem published. I'm a closet poet. Not anymore, I guess.

Good luck to all our swimmers and to-be's!
Jay
My mother grew up in Toms River. I spent a number of weekends as a kid visiting my grandparents who lived on a chicken farm on Hooper Ave. Of course, the farm is long gone and is now across the street from the Ocean County Mall.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

slam wrote:My mother grew up in Toms River. I spent a number of weekends as a kid visiting my grandparents who lived on a chicken farm on Hooper Ave. Of course, the farm is long gone and is now across the street from the Ocean County Mall.
Ahhhh, the Ocean County Mall ... I used to work at the power plant in Forked River. Was "lucky" enough to be up there for the Storm of the Century back in 1993.
caroline
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by caroline »

thank you! that is helpful, but if anyone else has leads of the actual showing of the episode, let me know!

thanks for your help. x,caroline
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Hello all. I'm fresh to the board, after recently having been a contestant (airdate December 27). Looking forward to the conversation!
Last edited by vellore on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

vellore wrote:Hello all. I'm fresh to the board, after recently having been a contestant (airdate December 27). "An elementary school teacher from Woodbridge, Ontario," in the words of the mellifluous Johnny Gilbert. Looking forward to the conversation!
Welcome, and pleased as Punch that new contestants are finding the boards without Sony's help!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Hi, everybody!

I'm Emily Gifford, one time Jeopardy! champion. My winning game was broadcast on my birthday, November 1, 2011, only I didn't get to see it because of the Halloween Nor'easter, which dumped a bunch of snow on mid-Atlantic/New England states on October 29th, knocking out power to most of my state for several days. Happily, the weather turned warm after the snow, so my house went from a climate-controlled 70 degrees to 55 degrees after 12 hours without power, then only lost 1 degree net per day until power was restored on November 3rd. Because it was nice out, we were able to use a hibachi to make hot meals and only lost about $20 worth of frozen/refrigerated food.

But...my Jepisode aired to dead receivers statewide. Some of my friends and colleagues were able to watch me compete on Jeopardy! but I missed it entirely. I went online once I could, looking for fan reactions in lieu of actually getting to watch my Jepisode. I was tickled to death that someone on the Television without Pity forum called me "Robotic Jeopardy Lady," hence my handle of "RJL." I also found this forum, which I liked so much I joined.

Since my winning game was the last before the ToC, by the time my second game aired, I was able to watch it. Too bad that was my downfall episode!

Edit: I had mis-stated my house's temperature drop.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Welcome, Robot Jeopardy Lady! I'd been wondering what those initials stood for. I enjoyed your games, and hope you stick around. Would you like your rank changed from "Contributor" to "Jeopardy Champion"? You've earrrrrrrned it.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

alietr wrote:Welcome, Robot Jeopardy Lady! I'd been wondering what those initials stood for. I enjoyed your games, and hope you stick around. Would you like your rank changed from "Contributor" to "Jeopardy Champion"? You've earrrrrrrned it.
Thank you, and thank you for the offer, but in the context of this forum, I'll stick with with working my way through the ranks. Methodically. Some might even say robotically.
HockeyAnnouncerSean
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by HockeyAnnouncerSean »

Greetings,

I'm scheduled to be on Jeopardy! on January 9. I can't wait to see how I do! :D

I'm Sean Norris, a (you guessed it) hockey announcer for the Portland Winterhawks in Portland, Oregon. I must admit I'm a little intimidated by some of you J! Board regulars (you have such reputations!) but I'm excited to be here. I'm not feeling terribly prolific today, so I can't think of much more to write, but I can tell you I am the brother of Becki Norris from Season 26 and therefore also the brother-in-law of Donal Coomey from Season 24.

I'm not sure if I'll become a regular here or not, but I'll be happy to discuss my wonderful experiences on the show and anything else anyone might want to know in relation to my job, my family or my chihuahua.

Also, I'll throw a quick shout-out to okskater, who was at the same tape dates. Hey, man, good to see you here!

Thanks to the J! Board people for making this place possible; you people are awesome!

-S
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

HockeyAnnouncerSean wrote:Greetings,

I'm Sean Norris, a (you guessed it) hockey announcer for the Portland Winterhawks in Portland, Oregon. I must admit I'm a little intimidated by some of you J! Board regulars (you have such reputations!) but I'm excited to be here. I'm not feeling terribly prolific today, so I can't think of much more to write, but I can tell you I am the brother of Becki Norris from Season 26 and therefore also the brother-in-law of Donal Coomey from Season 24.

I'm not sure if I'll become a regular here or not, but I'll be happy to discuss my wonderful experiences on the show and anything else anyone might want to know in relation to my job, my family or my chihuahua.

Also, I'll throw a quick shout-out to okskater, who was at the same tape dates. Hey, man, good to see you here!

Thanks to the J! Board people for making this place possible; you people are awesome!

-S
Retroluck!
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Hi y'all!

I taped this week, with BGSUAlex and thejeopardyfan, and I think my episode will air March 21. Had a great time!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

CGeditor wrote:Hi y'all!

I taped this week, with BGSUAlex and thejeopardyfan, and I think my episode will air March 21. Had a great time!
Surely you mean "my first episiode", right? Spoilers . . .

Congrats on making the show!

Rex
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

HockeyAnnouncerSean wrote:Greetings,

-S
OMG I know you!

Good to see you! I wish January would just get here already.

P.S. - I've been craving Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles since I got back!
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Rex Kramer wrote:

Surely you mean "my first episiode", right? Spoilers . . .

Congrats on making the show!

Rex
Whoops, sorry! "My first episode," then :)
And thanks!
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

cool_hand wrote:I missed the Jeopardy! board! It's so great to see it reconstituted here...

Anyway, I'm Phil Lueck, and I work as a newspaper copy editor in Eugene, Oregon. I'm a three-time swimmer in the contestant pool, but never a contestant (trying again in January, though), and I've been a fan of the show since I was a teenager. I'm a sports fan (Go Trail Blazers!) and a reader (I'm on the Mark Twain autobiography right now) and of course I enjoy watching the show and playing along...
Hi Phil! I am also a newspaper copy editor (hence my name :)
BGSUAlex
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by BGSUAlex »

Judging by the y'all, I am pretty sure I know who you are! And I am glad you didn't ditch the accent :)
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

Howdy. My name's Jesse. I posted a little bit on the Sony board before it went down, and now I'm back. I grew up in Wisconsin.

I won't recount my entire life for you all, but here are some fun tidbits...

- I directed a play in high school as a senior (Arsenic & Old Lace)
- I graduated last spring with a BS in English. I was originally a Biology major but switched over to English, which I enjoy a bit more. Decided that I hated the rest of the humanities though, hence why I stuck with the BS.
- I plan to become an officer in the Navy. Until then, I stare at spreadsheets all day.
- Wheelhouse categories include anything sports related (college football especially), anything regarding skyscrapers or tall architecture, anything regarding mountains (I was a geography/geology nut when I was younger), and anything related to the gentleman in my avatar. ;)
- I've applied for Jeopardy four times--once in high school and thrice in college. Never got a call back though.
- I'm a HUGE Simpsons fan. If I see anyone posting a Simpsons joke or reference I'll almost assuredly respond to it somehow.
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."