Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Tigershark »

That's a pretty quick turnaround between tape and air (quicker than I thought)! Retroactive good luck in your game(s)!
It taped about 2 months ago. It feels like forever.
MATTDEMP

Post by MATTDEMP »

Sorry and I should have posted this about 3 weeks ago but my name is Matthew and I am from a small town in Mississippi called Louisville (pronounced Lewis-vill)
and I have been a fan of this show for about 17-18 years since I was a youngster, I'm 25 and I total trivia buff with not only sports but pop culture and if anyone wants to ask me about anything feel free but keep it clean guys and gals :D
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Richard

early 20s / male / Canada

Never been on the show.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

My name's AJ, I'm a 29-year-old marketing analyst, and I used to be a member on the Sony boards way back in my college days (2004-2008 or so?)

You might recognize me from other boards...basically, anywhere you see a Hayley Williams avatar and a username that references an armadillo, there's a good chance it's me. :-)
MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik »

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster.

Like many of you I'm sure, I've loved Jeopardy(!) (and many game shows) since I was a kid. Enough so that I often host games at family get-togethers using games from the j-archive and a cheap classroom buzzer system.

I've auditioned once (Kids' Jeopardy in 2001) but unfortunately didn't pass the initial test. I think I got 35+ on one of the online tests last year, but I want to take getting on Jeopardy a little more seriously (and improving my general knowledge base in general).

This has led me to start actually watching every game (I usually couldn't as Jeopardy comes on when I'm usually working at 4:30 here in St. Louis) since discovering a place online I could view today's episode.

Even though I've been reading the boards here for a while, I finally made an account because I'm looking for an excel spreadsheet to easily track my coryat score and categories. I've been using the Scoretron App on iPhone that works well, but it doesn't keep data on which categories I do well on. I could make a rudimentary one myself, but I figured maybe someone would want to share there's that they perfected. Also, I don't know how to make it where I can just put a '1' or '0' or whatever in the appropriate cell and have it calculate the coryat. If anyone has something like this they'd like to share, please let me know!

See ya around everyone!

-Kevin
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Greetings, JBoarders. I'm Mark from Culver City, originally from Oklahoma. Yes, I do live a few blocks from the Sony lot. As of this writing, I work for the company that developed Watson, (though I am not in Research and had nothing to do with that project).

I always enjoyed watching Jeopardy and playing along at home but did not think I was good enough or quick enough to be on the show. I play trivia at O'Briens on Main in Santa Monica with a number of folks who have been on J. It's a great group of people by the way and all of you are welcome to join us Wednesday nights at 8 pm. With their encouragement, I tried out for Jeopardy for the first time in January, 2012 and heard nothing. Took the test again in 2013. Received an invitation to audition in October and actually had my audition last December. I am in the eligible pool for another 12 months. I also recently had an audition for Sports Jeopardy.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Spiny Norman wrote:Greetings, JBoarders. I'm Mark from Culver City, originally from Oklahoma. Yes, I do live a few blocks from the Sony lot. As of this writing, I work for the company that developed Watson, (though I am not in Research and had nothing to do with that project).

I always enjoyed watching Jeopardy and playing along at home but did not think I was good enough or quick enough to be on the show. I play trivia at O'Briens on Main in Santa Monica with a number of folks who have been on J. It's a great group of people by the way and all of you are welcome to join us Wednesday nights at 8 pm. With their encouragement, I tried out for Jeopardy for the first time in January, 2012 and heard nothing. Took the test again in 2013. Received an invitation to audition in October and actually had my audition last December. I am in the eligible pool for another 12 months. I also recently had an audition for Sports Jeopardy.
May I guess this is the Mark everyone at O'Brien's knows and loves? Cannot believe you have never posted here before! Welcome!

Rex
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Greetings, JBoarders. I'm Mark from Culver City, originally from Oklahoma. Yes, I do live a few blocks from the Sony lot. As of this writing, I work for the company that developed Watson, (though I am not in Research and had nothing to do with that project).

May I guess this is the Mark everyone at O'Brien's knows and loves? Cannot believe you have never posted here before! Welcome!

Rex
From the evidence presented it sounds like Mark to me too. How did SJ go? (ETA: Ah.... just noticed that you posted on the SJ thread. Congrats on passing the test!)

I made it to O'Brien's last week for the first time and had a blast.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Dinsdale!
kristianzoerhoff
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kristianzoerhoff »

My ex-employer. I didn't work in Research, either, but got to spar with Watson during its beta phase; I still have the trophy I won for beating it :D They improved it a lot before the big match with Ken & Brad, of course.
Binky
Contributor

Post by Binky »

Hi, my name is Mavis and I'm in my 40s. I've been a Jeopardy! fan since the early 1990s. I've been lurking here and on the old board for several years now, but I finally decided to register. I think I'll contribute to the game discussions from time to time. I also hope to enter the current TD ("Cheaper by the Dozen") if I can get three posts approved by the entry deadline. Here's the first one!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Binky wrote:Hi, my name is Mavis and I'm in my 40s. I've been a Jeopardy! fan since the early 1990s. I've been lurking here and on the old board for several years now, but I finally decided to register. I think I'll contribute to the game discussions from time to time. I also hope to enter the current TD ("Cheaper by the Dozen") if I can get three posts approved by the entry deadline. Here's the first one!
Welcome, Mavis! I love it when long-time lurkers decloak. :)

Rex
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rex Kramer wrote:Welcome, Mavis! I love it when long-time lurkers decloak. :)
Unless they're firing photon torpedoes when they do so.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

alietr wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Welcome, Mavis! I love it when long-time lurkers decloak. :)
Unless they're firing photon torpedoes when they do so.
That's still better than the alternative:

Rex
Causa Mortis

Post by Causa Mortis »

Hello. I'm Craig, mid-40's, long time reader. I'm working on an article related to game theory and Jeopardy. This site has been helpful.
CheezeWhiz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CheezeWhiz »

Hi,

Participated in a couple TD's so far so figured I should introduce myself.

Name is Craig, 25 from Toronto. Played Reach for the Top in High School and NAQT/QuizBowl in University at McMaster. Auditioned twice (once for College in ~2008-9 in Boston, again this year in Detroit for standard Jeopardy).
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Hello!

I've been a fan of Jeopardy! for a long time; my dad and I used to bet a whopping 25 cents on final jeopardy, which he usually won. I've watched the show on and off since the 1980s but started to take the online test just a few years ago.

I had my first tryout In March 2013 in Sacramento and found this site, the J! Archive, and The Final Wager shortly thereafter. They've all been a big help in learning about different categories that come up often and aspects of being a contestant. If I don't get on this time around (not much time left in the player pool), I'll just keep taking the online test and go from there. Nice to join you all. :)
beardedtoyman
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by beardedtoyman »

Hey all, I'm Berek. Had a really good game, and a really bad one, about a year ago. Believe it or not, I had never even realized how much of a community existed online, nor any thoughts on betting theory, or game strategy. I was just there to do what I could and have fun doing it. Since then, I've discovered all the various Jeopardy!-devoted sites, and all the threads about how bad we all were. Thought I'd join in the fun and be an armchair quarterback along with everyone else.

Oh, and if anyone wants a little background on part of why all three of us were off that second game, just shoot me a PM. It was the end of a VERY long day.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Welcome! When did your games air? Would love to check them out in the archive.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zakharov wrote:Welcome! When did your games air? Would love to check them out in the archive.
Considering he said his games aired "about a year ago", they're almost certainly in the archive (anything Season 20 or after stands a very good chance of being in there, this probability rises the more recent you go (with the exception, of course, of *very* recent (i.e. less than a week old) games, due to Archivist schedules).

Using the Archive search feature easily gets you the player profile for someone with as uncommon a name as Berek.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012