Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Magna »

Introducing myself - I live in Southern California and have auditioned once before. Just took the Central/Mountain Time test last night (because of a likely schedule conflict) so we'll see how that turns out!
kslgbr
Contributor

Post by kslgbr »

Hello, everyone. My name is Ken, and I'm 40 years old and I'm from Lincoln, Nebraska. I read the official Sony board off and on the past few years but never registered and found this board after that board went down and have looked at this board a few times. I decided to register after reading some of the discussion of the online test.
I've been a big game show fan since I was little-I remember game shows from the mid 70s, when I was only 3 years old. These days, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are the only new game shows I watch(other than reruns on GSN). I watched Millionaire early on, but got tired of it after awhile.
I've been a Jeopardy watcher in some form since the early days of the Alex Trebek version, but not always every day. Chuck Forrest is the earliest big name player I remember watching. I didn't watch much during college, but have watched probably 90-95% of the shows since then. I've always been interested in trivia and had always been pretty good at it, but never thought about trying to audition for the show until the online test came around. This is the first year I passed the online test, so I hope to maybe get invited to an audition this year.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

I should have done this a while back, I see.

I'm Leah Greenwald, a five-time champion from 1988. I've been hauled back in here and there for some tournaments. I'm a married architect, the mother of triplet sons (whose existence enabled me to use them as on-air interview subject matter, which was good, because any other stories I could think of about myself were either too boring or too interesting for TV).

I'm old, although not as old as my avatar in this particular photo, an actress whom I admire for her steely self-assurance and natural assumption of authority. I'd love to be as formidable as her Lady Bracknell. My family could tell you what a pain it is to live with someone who harbors that particular ambition.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

I mostly lurked on the old board and tracked this board down last summer, but I never felt confident enough to introduce myself. I suppose the online tests bring out more people and that has encouraged me to post here.

Like Indiana Jones, my (board) name is taken from the family dog, and my actual name is Sheri. I'm 43, the stay-at-home mom of a nearly 3-year-old son, formerly a third grade teacher and an IQ test writer. I was also an adjunct English prof for Central Texas College, teaching English courses for Navy sailors while deployed abroad. That was a lot of fun, I have to say. I did my undergrad and master's degrees at Texas A&M (so proud of Budphrey representing the Ags) and the coursework for my Ph.D. at Ohio State (ABD and that's never going to happen).

I like reading long, involved book series like Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time, but last week I finished Michener's The Source and now I'm currently reading A Brief History of Almost Everything. I like puzzles and games and Masterpiece Theater (Downton Abbey rocks!) and The Big Bang Theory. And I briefly did coryats and track my responses per game, but now that my son is fully mobile, it's just not happening anymore. I'm generally around the 38-42 correct per game, but there are outliers, of course.

I've been in the contestant pool twice, once back in 2001 when it was an open-call test in a hotel conference room. That was the test where I actually forgot my own name, because I had only been married a couple of months and I wasn't used to being at the top of the alphabet instead of near the back, so I really wasn't listening for it yet. When they returned after grading our tests, my name was the first one called, and I was still wondering how many had passed (four, as it turned out) and if I would cry if I didn't, and I finally clued in to Maggie repeating my name. She seemed really puzzled; I guess most people are paying WAY more attention, so I had to explain the story to the whole room. Then on their way out, people kept shaking my hand and congratulating me on my marriage; I think I shook more hands there than at my own wedding. The second exam wasn't nearly as social, just the online test, then the in-person test in Dallas where I clearly didn't wow anyone.

If I'm ever actually on the show I'll probably make a boneheaded wager that will leave everyone mystified and irritated. I really need to get a handle on the betting strategies, should Maggie ever give me the nod.
PKS
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by PKS »

Hey all,

I'm Clyde and I was on WWTBAM in January 2010. I consider myself a trivia junkie but more of a pop culture than a learned type. I have taken the online test a couple of times now but never quite made it over the hump (fingers crossed this time.)

My avatar nickname is taken from Phil Ken Sebben who is a character from Harvey Birdman: Attorney-at-Law. I was asked for a name when joining TWoP years ago and it popped into my head. I spelled it wrong at the time, Sebbin, but I stuck with that and use it on the wwtbambored. Now I have just gotten lazy and figure 3 letters is way better than however many the whole name is :D

Good luck to everyone who just took the test and all who are in the pool!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

PKS wrote:My avatar nickname is taken from Phil Ken Sebben who is a character from Harvey Birdman: Attorney-at-Law.
Ha ha!
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Case wrote: Like Indiana Jones, my (board) name is taken from the family dog, and my actual name is Sheri. I'm 43, the stay-at-home mom of a nearly 3-year-old son, formerly a third grade teacher and an IQ test writer. I was also an adjunct English prof for Central Texas College, teaching English courses for Navy sailors while deployed abroad. That was a lot of fun, I have to say. I did my undergrad and master's degrees at Texas A&M (so proud of Budphrey representing the Ags) and the coursework for my Ph.D. at Ohio State (ABD and that's never going to happen).
Always good to see another Aggie on the boards! There are a couple of us lurking around- also look for Buddy Wright, from last year's TOC. I also auditioned in Dallas the last time they came around- maybe we'll make it there again!

Gig 'em,
Lisa, '00 and '12 (finishing the pesky Ph.D. this year!)
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

lisa0012 wrote:Always good to see another Aggie on the boards! There are a couple of us lurking around- also look for Buddy Wright, from last year's TOC. I also auditioned in Dallas the last time they came around- maybe we'll make it there again!

Gig 'em,

Thanks, Lisa! Dallas would be great; I hope we both get there. I'm also full of admiration for you finishing your disseration; what is your field? My undergrad was psychology and my grad work was in English, specializing in the ever-useful medieval literature. :roll: Should have done Chem E, except I'm nowhere near smart enough to pull that one off.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

kickerofelves wrote:Hi all!

New here. I'm Adam, I'm 32, from Erie, PA. Environmental engineer by day / starving musician by night...
I love the GBV reference: Bee Thousand is one of my all-time favorite pop albums.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Case wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:Always good to see another Aggie on the boards! There are a couple of us lurking around- also look for Buddy Wright, from last year's TOC. I also auditioned in Dallas the last time they came around- maybe we'll make it there again!

Gig 'em,

Thanks, Lisa! Dallas would be great; I hope we both get there. I'm also full of admiration for you finishing your disseration; what is your field? My undergrad was psychology and my grad work was in English, specializing in the ever-useful medieval literature. :roll: Should have done Chem E, except I'm nowhere near smart enough to pull that one off.
I'm in school psychology (undergrad was education). I have many fanciful interests, but I'm just barely practical enough to not have chosen them as careers, though by working with children I get to integrate all kind of fun things into my job :) Good luck to both of us!
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

lisa0012 wrote:I'm in school psychology (undergrad was education). I have many fanciful interests, but I'm just barely practical enough to not have chosen them as careers, though by working with children I get to integrate all kind of fun things into my job :) Good luck to both of us!
Seriously! I worked on the WPPSI-III and the WISC-IV revisions, at Psychological Corporation in San Antonio. We did the WPPSI with a team of two primaries (JJ Zhu and me) and a couple of great folks we could rope in on a regular basis, until the WISC really started rolling and ate up every resource in sight. Diane Coalson took over WPPSI towards the end; she's an Ag, too. Loved working with her and JJ. Picture Concepts was my baby start to finish, under JJ's direction, of course. WISC was so important that all non-Ph.D.s were secondary, mainly just coordinating, editing and revising. My husband actually designed one of the Object Assembly puzzles for WPPSI (the tree), for the no-so-princely sum of $25. And my hands starred in the training videos, lol.

Good memories. Having been a part of that was really special.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Case wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:I'm in school psychology (undergrad was education). I have many fanciful interests, but I'm just barely practical enough to not have chosen them as careers, though by working with children I get to integrate all kind of fun things into my job :) Good luck to both of us!
Seriously! I worked on the WPPSI-III and the WISC-IV revisions, at Psychological Corporation in San Antonio. We did the WPPSI with a team of two primaries (JJ Zhu and me) and a couple of great folks we could rope in on a regular basis, until the WISC really started rolling and ate up every resource in sight. Diane Coalson took over WPPSI towards the end; she's an Ag, too. Loved working with her and JJ. Picture Concepts was my baby start to finish, under JJ's direction, of course. WISC was so important that all non-Ph.D.s were secondary, mainly just coordinating, editing and revising. My husband actually designed one of the Object Assembly puzzles for WPPSI (the tree), for the no-so-princely sum of $25. And my hands starred in the training videos, lol.

Good memories. Having been a part of that was really special.
That is very cool. I know those tests well :) I'm actually from San Antonio, so this world is getting smaller! I'm finishing my internship year- I'll have to remember to think of PsychCorp when I'm looking for my postdoc later this spring, since if I don't stay in DFW I would love to return to San Antonio.
runciblespoon

Post by runciblespoon »

Does anyone know how to submit an old episode to J-Archive? I was on the show in 1995 and was disappointed to see it wasn't listed
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

runciblespoon wrote:Does anyone know how to submit an old episode to J-Archive? I was on the show in 1995 and was disappointed to see it wasn't listed
Do you have a recording of it? On VHS? DVD? mpeg? We can take virtually anything you can provide. Any source tape will be returned if you'd be kind enough to send it. If it's already in digital format, I can provide a place to upload it.

Thanks

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
runciblespoon

Post by runciblespoon »

Thanks for the info, Brian! I have it squirreled away on VHS, but I've been meaning to transfer it to a digital format, and this is the excuse I need. Where should I send it?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

runciblespoon wrote:Thanks for the info, Brian! I have it squirreled away on VHS, but I've been meaning to transfer it to a digital format, and this is the excuse I need. Where should I send it?
If you can send & receive PM's, I'll send that to you in a PM. If not, mods, can we get a private message another way?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

runciblespoon wrote:Thanks for the info, Brian! I have it squirreled away on VHS, but I've been meaning to transfer it to a digital format, and this is the excuse I need. Where should I send it?
I have sent the snail mail address by email.

Thanks

Brian

carameljawn

Post by carameljawn »

Hi - Rachel here, from Michigan. I tried out for the college tournament in Cleveland as a Wolverine ('05 or '06) and looking to make a stab at the adult show the next time around (fully aware that I *just* missed an opportunity to take the test). Excited to be a member of the community. :-)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

carameljawn wrote:Hi - Rachel here, from Michigan. I tried out for the college tournament in Cleveland as a Wolverine ('05 or '06) and looking to make a stab at the adult show the next time around (fully aware that I *just* missed an opportunity to take the test). Excited to be a member of the community. :-)
You're in luck, Rachel. Apparently, on jeopardy.com they realize that there was technical glitches preventing people from registering for the test, and they'll have another upcoming test (for people who didn't take it last week, meaning people who want a "do over" like me are out of luck) soon. You'll hear it here first! (Well, second, after jeopardy.com. And I'm sure some fast fingered Twitterer or two will beat us to it. So you'll here it here about 28th, by my count. Still pretty good!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
runciblespoon

Post by runciblespoon »

I have sent the snail mail address by email.

Thanks

Brian
Thanks much -- didn't get the email yet, but will watch for it, and send it to you as a DVD. I haven't watched it in many years, but I remember it has all the commericals from 1995 in there too.
Thanks!
Mike