Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by HugoZ »

U.S. Capitals:

Washington D.C. (Capitol)
Phoenix
Hartford (airport)
Indianapolis
Augusta and Boston (both capitol buildings, less than 24 hours apart)
St. Paul (airport)
Albany
Columbus (Oktoberfest!)
Harrisburg (capitol building)
Providence (capitol building)

Canada: Toronto

International:

Luxembourg
Reykjavik (missed by ~30 mi, Keflavik AFB)
Berlin (back when it was the capital of the DDR)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Hmmm...

US capitals:
Honolulu, Sacremento, Salem, Boise, SLC, Carson City, Phoenix, Santa Fe, Denver, Cheyenne, Helena, Madison, St. Paul, Indianapolis, Columbus, Nashville, Harrisburg, Charleston, Trenton, Washington (DC), Columbia, Atlanta and Boston.

International: Ottawa, Mexico City, Tokyo, Seoul, Auckland, Singapore, London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna, Rome, Vatican City, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and Jerusalem.

Looks like I've got a way to go in both categories...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

State capitals: Sacramento, Phoenix
World capitals: Rome, Vienna (and layovers in London, including one where I rode a bus from Heathrow to Gatwick)

My first plane trip was in 2007.
rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rmfromfla »

Oh, why not, for once:

U.S. Capitals: Tallahassee, Montgomery, Atlanta, Nashville, Indianapolis, Columbus, Lansing, Raleigh, Richmond, Washington (DC), Baton Rouge,
Phoenix, Sacramento, Honolulu (airport)

Canada: Toronto

International: Manila

Territory: Agana (Guam) -- airport

Number of states: 23 (Wisconsin being most recent in 1993) 8-)
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

U.S.- Sacramento, Phoenix (born), Santa Fe, Austin, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, St. Paul (I think), Boston (and the airports in Atlanta, Salt Lake City, and Denver)

World- Washington D.C., Mexico City, Belmopan, London, Berlin
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

So, it looks like dhk and I are alone in having been to only two countries of the world.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
adam_h
Contributor

Post by adam_h »

bpmod wrote:So, it looks like dhk and I are alone in having been to only two countries of the world.
Still only two for me so far also...

adh
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

U.S. capitol buildings I've visited:
Washington, D.C.
Tallahassee
Austin
Raleigh
Des Moines
St. Paul

Other U.S. capital cities I've been to:
Montgomery
Phoenix
Sacramento
Denver
Indianapolis
Boston
Trenton
Oklahoma City
Harrisburg
Madison

Other world capital cities I've been to:
London
Brussels
Stockholm
Dublin
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'll play. Sacramento. Done.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'll play. Sacramento. Done.
Oh, Mark! Don't let one bad experience put you off the whole capital-visiting idea. Many of them are quite lovely. :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'll play. Sacramento. Done.
From summer 1991 to March 2007, I was in the same boat. All the others on my list are solely thanks to my choir's travels.
adam_h
Contributor

Post by adam_h »

kickerofelves wrote:Hi all!

New here. I'm Adam, I'm 32, from Erie, PA. Environmental engineer by day / starving musician by night...

Been watching the show more or less as long as I can remember. Been pursuing the audition process since they began online testing - managed to score live auditions in 2008 (Cleveland) and 2010 (DC). Just coming off my second dip in the 'pool', and hoping that last night's ~38/50 is enough for another shot.

Cheers,
Adam
Ha! I found the 'old me'. Now the question is... who do I want to be?
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

adam_h wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:Hi all!

New here. I'm Adam, I'm 32, from Erie, PA. Environmental engineer by day / starving musician by night...

Been watching the show more or less as long as I can remember. Been pursuing the audition process since they began online testing - managed to score live auditions in 2008 (Cleveland) and 2010 (DC). Just coming off my second dip in the 'pool', and hoping that last night's ~38/50 is enough for another shot.

Cheers,
Adam
Ha! I found the 'old me'. Now the question is... who do I want to be?
I think I'll switch back. That adam_h character is boring.

-a.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

OK, since everyone else is doing it:

US: capitals I've been to or through - Austin, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Nashville, Indianapolis, Denver, Salt Lake City, Santa Fe, Atlanta, Raleigh, Richmond, Honolulu. Maybe Jefferson City and Springfield, IL as a kid on a car trip. Landed in the Hartford/Springfield airport once but went north to Springfield, MA rather than south to Hartford. And Washington, DC
Other states I've been to - Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Florida, Maryland, New York, Michigan, Ohio,
Canada: Toronto. Sadly that's all. And no other provinces besides Ontario. I hope to remedy this someday. (Have been to several other towns in Ontario, though, all of which were interesting and lovely.)

Europe (& a little Asia): London, Edinburgh, Brussels, Amsterdam, Bonn & Berlin (when there were 2 Germanies), Bern, Vienna, Budapest, and Athens. Missed Belgrade (this is when it was all Yugoslavia, but did see Sarajevo, Zagreb, & Skopje.)
Saw large parts of both France & Turkey, and small parts of Denmark, but didn't make the capitals. Probably drove through Sofia (on a bus), as well as Luxembourg and Liechtenstein (We hitchhiked from Austria to Switzerland with a Liechtensteinian guy, but not sure where the road went exactly. The main thing I remember is looking from the back seat at his speedometer and seeing it said 200! I realized quickly that was km, not miles, but then did the math & realized we were still going like 120 mph. Now that I think about it, we must have been in Germany. On the Autobahn. So probably not in Liechtenstein. Must have been the German guy that took us from Austria to Switzerland.) Also been to Mexico a couple times, just across the Rio Grande. (Most interesting Mexican experience was identifying a new bird which was sitting in a tree on the Mexican side of the river while I was sitting on the US side with my binoculars.) I would love to see Mexico City someday...

Funny part - all those European places were in 1986-7, but I didn't make it to Washington, DC until 2000. Didn't get to Oklahoma City until 2002 even though it's the closest to me besides my own state.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

debramc wrote:Canada: Toronto. Sadly that's all.
That is sad.
debramc wrote:And no other provinces besides Ontario. I hope to remedy this someday.
No remedy needed. Ontario (outside of Toronto) is the most beautiful place on earth. (But I might be a little biased.)

What other Ontario towns?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
That is sad.
debramc wrote:And no other provinces besides Ontario. I hope to remedy this someday.
No remedy needed. Ontario (outside of Toronto) is the most beautiful place on earth. (But I might be a little biased.)

Brian
I tend to agree. Of all the places I've been to in Canada, the Canadian Shield area (stretching from near the Manitoba-Ontario border through northern Ontario) is my favourite, the majestic rocks are fascinating, and tell a lot of history. And the view in some places is breathtaking.

It is a little known secret. I don't think even bpmod's been out to that area of his own province.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

bpmod wrote:
That is sad.

Brian
Well, of couse we started with Windsor, since we always crossed the border from Detroit. Didn't ever stop to do anything there, but it's beautiful. Others I remember (in no particular order) were Kitchener, London, Hamilton (of course), Waterloo maybe? I'm not even entirely sure we went through all those, could have just been on the highway signs. After 3-4 trips even kids start to recognize the countryside. Our destination was always Wasaga Beach (family thing - we stayed in one of the houses my grandma grew up in.) The relatives lived in Stayner. We spent a lot of time just on the lake, or canoeing the river, or picking blueberries at the sand dunes (now a provincial park.) We used to go to Collingwood to shop for souvenir stuff. Once we took a very nice boat ride through a bunch of islands in Lake Huron/Georgian Bay, and spent some time at whatever town the boat left from (I'm blanking on that one). We only went to Toronto once, but that time we also went to Peterborough (which is where either my grandparents or great-grandparents got married, and where my great-grandfather was a minister for several years. I think. I remember looking at an old pretty church and hearing some family stories. I need to call my mom and brush up on these details before she's too old to remember.) We went to Niagara Falls at least twice, once we kept on going to Buffalo (more family there). (I tend to forget that Buffalo's in New York since I've only ever been there from Canada.)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:I tend to agree. Of all the places I've been to in Canada, the Canadian Shield area (stretching from near the Manitoba-Ontario border through northern Ontario) is my favourite, the majestic rocks are fascinating, and tell a lot of history. And the view in some places is breathtaking.

It is a little known secret. I don't think even bpmod's been out to that area of his own province.
You are correct. The farthest north I have been (in Ontario) is the Trans-Canada through Espanola, Sudbury & North Bay (and a lake called Tomiko just near there).

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

debramc wrote:Well, of couse we started with Windsor, since we always crossed the border from Detroit. Didn't ever stop to do anything there, but it's beautiful. Others I remember (in no particular order) were Kitchener, London, Hamilton (of course), Waterloo maybe? I'm not even entirely sure we went through all those, could have just been on the highway signs. After 3-4 trips even kids start to recognize the countryside. Our destination was always Wasaga Beach (family thing - we stayed in one of the houses my grandma grew up in.) The relatives lived in Stayner. We spent a lot of time just on the lake, or canoeing the river, or picking blueberries at the sand dunes (now a provincial park.) We used to go to Collingwood to shop for souvenir stuff. Once we took a very nice boat ride through a bunch of islands in Lake Huron/Georgian Bay, and spent some time at whatever town the boat left from (I'm blanking on that one). We only went to Toronto once, but that time we also went to Peterborough (which is where either my grandparents or great-grandparents got married, and where my great-grandfather was a minister for several years. I think. I remember looking at an old pretty church and hearing some family stories. I need to call my mom and brush up on these details before she's too old to remember.) We went to Niagara Falls at least twice, once we kept on going to Buffalo (more family there). (I tend to forget that Buffalo's in New York since I've only ever been there from Canada.)
Wow! You've seen almost as much of Ontario as I have. The month before I turned 20, I vacationed at Wasaga Beach. It is the only time I've been there. That trip coincided with Italy winning the World Cup in Soccer and it was then I discovered that the entire Italian population of Hamilton and Toronto vacations at Wasaga Beach. I was there with 5 (Italian) friends from HS and met some other (Italian) HS friends while there. (We used to joke that my HS population was 1599 Italians and me. I was the only one whose last name started with a vowel.)

Brian

kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

The only state capitol building that I've been in that I can think of is my own (Harrisburg).

Capitals of other states that I've been to: Atlanta (as a kid), Indianapolis, Augusta, Annapolis, Boston, St. Paul (just the airport, though it's very nice), Trenton, Albany, Raleigh, Columbus, Richmond, Charleston.

Sounds like I've got some work to do. ;)

-a.