Thursday, March 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6794, 2014-03-13

CONTESTANTS
Jessica Rebel, a contract attorney and stay-at-home mom from Lenexa, Kansas
Matt Kish, a high-school history teacher from Brunswick, Ohio
Diana Peloquin, a graduate student of law and social work from Ann Arbor, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everyone, and welcome aboard. What an exciting time we've been having on Jeopardy! for the past month and a half. We had the '80s tournament, the '90s tournament, the college championship, and, of course, that talented young Arthur Chu, whose winning ways earned him just a shade under $300,000. But now, a new regime. Diana is our champion. Matt and Jessica, welcome. And good luck to all three. Here we go, Jeopardy! Round. And these categories
now in play.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV CHARACTER ALIASES (5/5)
FAMILIAR PHRASES (3/5)
AUTOMAKERS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"G.M." (4/5)
FORD (5/5)
DETROIT ROCKS! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jessica: 7 R, 2 W
Diana: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $2,800
Jessica: $1,600
Diana: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jessica Rebel is from Kansas. And she's a big fan of craigslist because you got two big pluses out of your relationship.
Tell us about it.

Jessica: Yes, my job and my husband.

Alex: Really?

Jessica: Yes...Yes.

Alex: How did that come about?

Jessica: Well, my husband posted a joke ad, a personal ad, and I answered it, just thinking, "this person's funny. I'd like to talk to them." And three months later, we moved in together. And then two years later, we got married.

Alex: And you also got a job?

Jessica: Yes, although that one wasn't a joke ad. That was for real. [ laughter]

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Matt Kish is from Brunswick, Ohio. A high-school history teacher, former Division III All-American football player?

Matt: Yes, academic All-American for two years.

Alex: Oh, academic All-American.

Matt: Yes.

Alex: All right.

Matt: Yeah, I played center and guard at a small college. And I've coached football --coach offensive, defensive linemen,
outside linebackers, in the years since.

Alex: All right, be honest. Is it more fun playing the game or is it more fun coaching the game?

Matt: You know, I'll say they're equally fun. There's advantages and drawbacks to both. Let me tell you, coaching
is a lot easier on the knees. We'll say that.

Alex: Okay, yes.I agree with you.

Alex: Diana Peloquin from Ann Arbor, Michigan, is our champion. [ applause starts, stops ] You were --
[ laughs ] well, you have somebody cheering you on in our audience today. Now, you were once a re-enactor at George Washington's home?

Diana: Yes, his boyhood home, which is --

Alex: Oh, boyhood. Not Mount Vernon.

Diana: Mm-hmm, not Mount Vernon.

Diana: Ferry Farm, which is in Stafford County, Virginia.

Alex: That must have been fun.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Diana had $400, Matt had $2,800, and Jessica was at $1,600. Matt wagered $1,200.

AUTOMAKERS $800: He died in Germany in 1900: From 1998 to 2007 his name was joined with Chrysler

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FAMILIAR PHRASES $400: Situation here for Bill Tilden at the top of the screen, meaning he has control of the situation
(Matt: What is advantage?)
(Jessica: What is the upper hand?)

AUTOMAKERS $600: During WWII this automaker & his father received a portion of the profits on every VW beetle sold under the Nazis

FAMILIAR PHRASES $1000: This 2-word phrase for a radical transformation comes from "The Tempest"

AUTOMAKERS $1000: In 1903 this man introduced his 15-hp Arrow model; 6 years later President Taft ordered 2 for the White House
(Alex: And his name was [*]. The [*] Arrow.)

"G.M." $800: Virginia Hill, to Bugsy Siegel

DETROIT ROCKS! $800: A controversial idea to help the city out of bankruptcy is to sell pieces from the DIA, the Detroit institute of these
[Diana's response, "What is art?" was initially ruled correct, but was reversed before the DJ! Round.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $7,200
Jessica: $3,200
Diana: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BIBLICAL ART (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ELEPHANT HODGEPODGE (5/5)
FILMED IN HAWAII (5/5)
TREE WORDS (3/5)
FRENCH LIT (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PERIODIC SPELLMNG (5/5) (Alex: You have the give the word formed from the symbols of the elements in the clues.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessica: 9 R, 2 W
Matt: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Diana: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diana snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Diana had $1,600, Matt had $7,200, and Jessica was at $9,200. Diana wagered $1,500.

FRENCH LIT $800: French author Albert Camus set several works in this country of his birth
(Diana: What is Switzerland?)
(Alex: No, he was born in North Africa in [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Diana had $5,700, Matt had $14,000, and Jessica was at $11,600. Matt wagered $1,000.

BIBLICAL ART $2000: The Rembrandt painting seen here depicts a story from this Old Testament book
(Matt: What is Numbers?)
(Alex: No, it's the book of [*], Belshazzar seeing the handwriting on the wall.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FRENCH LIT $1200: In "The Second Sex", this French female existentialist deconstructed the myth of the feminine

TREE WORDS $1600: The village blacksmith could tell you it's an old, oft-repeated joke, story or song

TREE WORDS $2000: This governing officer of a church often has pastoral or teaching functions

FRENCH LIT $1600: "Remembrance of Things Past" is a classic example of the type of series called a roman-fleuve, literally novel-this

BIBLICAL ART $800: Restoration work completed in 1999 removed 500 years of grime from this Leonardo masterpiece
(Jessica: What is the Pieta?)
(Diana: What is the Mona Lisa?)

BIBLICAL ART $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands in front of the television screen displaying a painting.) Poussin depicted the return of spies
in the book of Numbers; the size
of the bunch of grapes tells us the place they've reconnoitered
lives up to its billing as this land

BIBLICAL ART $1600: In the 1400s Giovanni di Paolo painted this saint "entering the wilderness"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $13,000
Jessica: $11,600
Diana: $5,700

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Matt: Wager $10,201 to cover Jessica.
Jessica: Try wagering $199, which is as much as you can put up against Matt without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Diana.
Diana: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Jessica, but if Jessica decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,900.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At 4,000 miles, the farthest-apart capitals of bordering countries are these 2 cities, one on a peninsula

FINAL SCORES
Diana: $5,700 - $5,697 = $3 (What Santiago and Quito?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jessica: $11,600 - $11,598 = $2 (What are Santiago and Bogota?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matt: $13,000 + $10,201 = $23,201 (What are Moscow + Pyongyang) (New champion: $23,201)
[After revealing Matt's response](Alex: We had to go to Asia, and that's what he did, starting with [*] in Europe and [*], the capital of North Korea.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $13,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jessica: $11,600, 16 R, 4 W
Diana: $7,200, 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 21/60 = .350
Jessica: 16/58 = .276
Diana: 9/59 = .153
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"G.M." $1000: It's the wanderer
seen here whose larvae are highly destructive

FORD $400: In the photo
seen here, Ford is meeting with this adviser

FORD $600: Gerald Ford grew up in this Michigan city, the largest after Detroit
(Jessica: What is Lansing?)

DETROIT ROCKS! $600: Seen here
is the 24-foot statue of the arm and fist of this Detroit-reared
heavyweight champ of the '30s and '40s

PERIODIC SPELLMNG $2000: hydrogen + yttrium + manganese =
good for Sunday
[applause for Jessica running the category]
(Alex: Boy, you know your elements and their symbols! Well done.)

ELEPHANT HODGEPODGE $400: On South Africa's coat of arms, these paired elephant parts symbolize wisdom & strength
(Jessica: What are trunks?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Gottlieb) Daimler
the ball is in his court
(Ferdinand) Porsche
sea change
(George) Pierce
gun moll
Arts
Algeria
Daniel
Simone de Beauvoir
chestnut
elder
river (or stream)
The Last Supper
the promised land
John the Baptist
Moscow & Pyongyang
gypsy moth
(Henry) Kissinger
Grand Rapids
Joe Louis
HYMn
tusks
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

World Capitals
At 4,000 miles, the farthest-apart capitals of bordering countries are these 2 cities, one on a peninsula.

Spoiler
What are Moscow and Pyong Yang? Diana said Santiago and Quito; Jessica said Santiago and Bogota.

Matt Kish: $13,000+$10,201=$23,201...now a 1-day champion with $23,201
Jessica Rebel: $11,600-$11,598=$2
Diana Peloquin: $5,700-$5,697=$3
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

After the bouncing and the tournaments, playing the "traditional" way was like playing on easy mode. I didn't track my score but I know I did a lot better than the last few Arthur games.

Picked up the trash on chestnut, Simone de Beauvoir, the Last Supper, and Promised Land. Surprised that nobody got de Beauvoir.

I went with Moscow and Beijing for FJ. Didn't know that Pyongyang was on a peninsula, and considering I just read a book on NK I probably should.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote:I went with Moscow and Beijing for FJ. Didn't know that Pyongyang was on a peninsula, and considering I just read a book on NK I probably should.
I knew it was on a peninsula, but didn't realize that Russia bordered it. I said Pyongyang and Beijing, knowing full well that it was wrong.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Ugh. I hate it when clues make perfect sense but I can't recall them in 30 seconds. I was stuck on Italy and perhaps one of the bigger countries that Italy borders to the north, maybe Austria? But I also thought it wouldn't be 4000 miles. I keep forgetting Russia DOES border North Korea.
esrever

Post by esrever »

zakharov wrote:Picked up the trash on chestnut, Simone de Beauvoir, the Last Supper, and Promised Land. Surprised that nobody got de Beauvoir.
I got these and also "St. John the Baptist", "sea change", "Algeria" and "elder" -- the most Lach trash I've picked up in one game in quite a while.

Didn't get FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I initially thought of Moscow and Beijing, but knew the peninsula part of the clue didn't fit. Then went with Pyongyang, but wasn't certain Russia bordered NK.

I believe the peninsula referred to in the clue was the entire Korean Peninsula, not something specific to Pyongyang's site.

Didn't realize there was such a thing as an elder tree, had only heard of elder bushes.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

The game seemed easier tonight, probably because of the lack of Forrest Bouncing.

Instaget final thanks to this Sporcle quiz. It is possible to go from North Korea to Norway passing through only one country! Beijing/Moscow is 2nd.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Diana seemed to go halfway on the Arthur strategy, but I'm not sure why she bailed on Biblical Art with the DD still to come by picking 400 over 2000. Maybe she wasn't confident in the category? And everybody seemed to forget the category on the Last Supper clue.

I happened to get FJ pretty easily today. Overall, I did do better than in any bouncing Arthur game, but I on Monday I was close to where I ended up today. I did have a choke today though: on Tropic Thunder, my mouth kept wanting to say Tropic OF Thunder and my brain knew that was wrong, so I just sat there with a total freeze.

The champ today (names haven't been posted in this thread as I type, and I'm terrible with these folks' names!) was easily deserving. Not just being the only one to get FJ, but if you take out the Periodic Table category (not fair, I know, but...) he definitely had the best go of it. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up winning 2 or 3.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Rugged FJ... spent some time in South America, then my wife suggested, hey, the US and Russia border via those two small islands in the Bering Sea... so maybe Moscow and Washington, D.C.? And isn't Washington on some sort of peninsula in the Potomac... okay, a stretch, but it seemed to make sense.

Oh well.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "sea change". I WAGged "perfect storm". Evil end to the Phrases category.

There are lots of Burnses, so I was lost on TV Aliases for $200. My only get was Dexter at $800, but I clammed on Crockett.

Couldn't think of "Strait" in time. Also couldn't pull Joe Louis in time, and clammed on "art" because of the "these" implying a plural. "Arts" being what they wanted never occurred to me even when Alex announced the overturn.

====

Ran Elements, but skunked French Lit.

Ash was my only get in Tree Words. Elder is a tree?!

What was supposed to lead to boxing on Elephant for $1200?

Biblical Art + Leonardo and no one gets Last Supper? I had no idea on "Promised Land" and couldn't remember what book the "writing on the wall" was in, so I went 3/5 there.

====

No guess on FJ! as usual.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "sea change".
For real bro?
There are lots of Burnses, so I was lost on TV Aliases for $200.
Only one is likely to be at the top of the board. You also had Trebek's (bad) impression to help you.
What was supposed to lead to boxing on Elephant for $1200?
John L. Sullivan was a famous bare-knuckle boxer. Yes, that was a more difficult one.
Last edited by zakharov on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
clprez

Post by clprez »

It was a lot less tense for me to play along today. I would say it was from there not being much bouncing, but the Decades week didn't bounce. However, I think it was mostly because I knew many of the answers before Alex finished reading them.

For FJ, I initially thought Moscow and Beijing, but I really did't think Beijing was on a penninsula. I wasn't sure if Russia bordered North Korea, but it fit the clue better, so I went with Pyongyang.
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

To those saying they didn't know that elder was a type of tree:
Have you never heard of a key object from the most popular literary series OF ALL TIME???
Leander

Post by Leander »

chalupabatman786 wrote:To those saying they didn't know that elder was a type of tree:
Have you never heard of a key object from the most popular literary series OF ALL TIME???
I guess I'd say:

Some ancient types over 30 (or older) may not be intimately familiar with Harry Potter

I believe there might be some stuff in those books that is fantasy
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

YAWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN

I don't know if I can go back to this.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

zakharov wrote:John L. Sullivan was a famous bare-knuckle boxer. Yes, that was a more difficult one.
Difficult if you know absolutely nothing about sports, Sullivan is pavlov for bare knuckle boxing.

The elements category is one of those that if you know the subject, making it a TDD regardless of situation is the play.

Diana played a strategically sound game yesterday, today she failed miserably on the penultimate clue in DD and FJ wagering. But better to do it in that order than in reverse.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

chalupabatman786 wrote:To those saying they didn't know that elder was a type of tree:
Oh, that's why that didn't ring a bell. I gave up after Goblet of Fire because it just wasn't interesting to me anymore. Granted, I was like, 15 the last time I read it. And I'm still conflicted on whether or not to retry it. Part of me says "don't touch magical fantasy at all because you didn't like Harry Potter", but part of me says, "dude, you were still in high school, you hated EVERYthing back then".
B-Rich

Post by B-Rich »

Final Jeopardy! took awhile, but got it just in time. With the 4000 miles clue, knowing the the size of Russia, and Moscow being in the east, I knew it was Moscow/Russia and a Far East nation capital. Mongolia didn't work, Beijing is inland; I thought Japan for a second (Japan/Russia have historically argued over possession of islands between them). Came back to the peninsula clue, so guessed Pyongyang, but didn't think the two nations bordered either-- I could've sworn North Korea shared its northern border solely with China. Looked it up and measured it on Google Earth-- turns out N. Korea and Russia share a border of only about 10 1/2 miles!

But that's all it takes.... ;)