Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

ARCHITECTS

Add 6 letters to the end of the last name of a 19th century British industrialist and you get this 15th century Italian architect.
Spoiler
Who is Brunelleschi?(From Brunel.)
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:25 pm ARCHITECTS

Add 5 letters to the end of the last name of a 19th century British industrialist and you get this 15th century Italian architect.
Spoiler
Who is Brunelleschi?(From Brunell.)
Love the clue, but...
Spoiler
I think it should be 6 letters, because Brunel only has one L. And I'd say he is famous for being an engineer, not an industrialist... unless there is some two-L industrialist that I don't know about...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Add 5 letters to the end of the last name of a 19th century British industrialist and you get this 15th century Italian architect.
Spoiler
never heard of either of them
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:03 am In honor of everyone's favorite topic, Canadian geography:

PLACE NAMES

Two of the four most populous cities in Atlantic Canada are named after him.
Spoiler
Who is (St.) John the Baptist?
Huh. My response should technically be counted incorrect, but I bet they'd let it slide. Even though, in my heart, I know I meant the other guy.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spoiler
Ha! Never heard of the industrialist. But I lopped 5 letters off the end of the only 15th century Italian architect I could think of and got it right.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Spoiler
Ha! Never heard of the industrialist. But I lopped 5 letters off the end of the only 15th century Italian architect I could think of and got it right.
I got
Spoiler
Leschi. Which would have been fine had the clue asked for a 19th century Nisqually chief.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

FOOD AND DRINK

During the 1950s and 60s, the Grist Mill in Sudbury, Massachusetts supplied this company with over 500 tons of flour per year.
Spoiler
What is Pepperidge Farm? (hence the mill in the logo)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm Because when you have a Canadian geography question, I always feel you need a corresponding Australian one.

Category: Australian Cities

This is the only Australian state capital not named for a person.
Spoiler
Answer: Perth
I like that one. The only one that I know for sure is named after a person is
Spoiler
Darwin
(and yes, it's named after who you think it is, but due to his maritime career).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

THE MIDDLE EAST

These two kings, one of Egypt and the other of Saudi Arabia, both had 4-letter names that start with the same letter and end with the same letter.
Spoiler
Who are Fuad and Fahd?
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CATEGORY: SPORTS

In 2005, 12 teams were scheduled to be removed from a band on this, but it was delayed until 2006. In 2018, another 13 teams were removed from another band.
Spoiler
What is the Stanley Cup?

The main TOM is that the Stanley Cup is the only one of the big four US sports trophies that is one-of-a-kind, and its modular design may hint that you can remove pieces. The other hint is that something was delayed in 2005, which points toward the 2004-5 NHL lockout. And I chose the word "scheduled" to gently nudge you away from the idea of scandal/dishonor (ie PEDs, cheating, etc.)

The bottom five bands on the "main part" of the Stanley Cup contain space for 13 teams, and the oldest band is removed and placed in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto when a new band is started. Why the irregularities? The 2004-5 NHL season was completely cancelled, so names didn't have to be removed until the 2005-6 Carolina Hurricanes won the Cup and started a new band. Why only 12 teams on one band instead of 13? Trebeck's favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens, took two spaces in 1965-6. You'd have to ask them.
Edited to add "a band on" and "from another band" for a little bit of clarity.
Last edited by talkingaway on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:56 pm CATEGORY: SPORTS

In 2005, 12 teams were scheduled to be removed from this, but it was delayed until 2006. In 2018, another 13 teams were removed.
Spoiler
What is the Stanley Cup?

The main TOM is that the Stanley Cup is the only one of the big four US sports trophies that is one-of-a-kind, and its modular design may hint that you can remove pieces. The other hint is that something was delayed in 2005, which points toward the 2004-5 NHL lockout. And I chose the word "scheduled" to gently nudge you away from the idea of scandal/dishonor (ie PEDs, cheating, etc.)

The bottom five bands on the "main part" of the Stanley Cup contain space for 13 teams, and the oldest band is removed and placed in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto when a new band is started. Why the irregularities? The 2004-5 NHL season was completely cancelled, so names didn't have to be removed until the 2005-6 Carolina Hurricanes won the Cup and started a new band. Why only 12 teams on one band instead of 13? Trebeck's favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens, took two spaces in 1965-6. You'd have to ask them.
Spoiler
It's team names that are removed, not teams, right?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:16 pm

In 2005, 12 teams were scheduled to be removed from this, but it was delayed until 2006. In 2018, another 13 teams were removed.
Spoiler
What is the Stanley Cup?

Spoiler
Spoiler
The Stanley Cup has the name of each team, and the names of about 50 players and coaches for each team, pursuant to certain rules as to who qualifies to get their name on the Cup. So, I think "team", as in referring to the entire group of players who played as a team, is accurate - you could say, as I did, that there's space for "13 teams" on each band, not just 13 team names.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:08 pm

Spoiler
What is the Stanley Cup?

Spoiler
Spoiler
The Stanley Cup has the name of each team, and the names of about 50 players and coaches for each team, pursuant to certain rules as to who qualifies to get their name on the Cup. So, I think "team", as in referring to the entire group of players who played as a team, is accurate - you could say, as I did, that there's space for "13 teams" on each band, not just 13 team names.
Spoiler
just to add my 2 cents...I love the idea of the question, just not the wording. I think the current wording gives a big impression of college sports league changes
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:11 am
talkingaway wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:08 pm

Spoiler
What is the Stanley Cup?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
just to add my 2 cents...I love the idea of the question, just not the wording. I think the current wording gives a big impression of college sports league changes
Spoiler
was the first thing that came to my mind as well
Spoiler
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Here's one they could use if super-champions are draining Sony's prize budget too quickly:

LAGOONS

By surface area, this is the world's largest body of water with a salinity level above 30%.
Spoiler
What is the Garabogazköl Basin?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

In 2005, 12 teams were scheduled to be removed from a band on this, but it was delayed until 2006. In 2018, another 13 teams were removed from another band.
Spoiler
What is the Stanley Cup?

Edited to add "a band on" and "from another band" for a little bit of clarity.
I think "Sports trophies" is better for the category, and I don't think it makes it too easy for the average Joe. I had no idea wtf the clue was about and was hung up on "bands" as musical groups or some other collective.

Just my two cents. I like to read this thread but I would score about 5% on the submissions. They seem to be TOC level or higher.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

THE ACADEMY AWARDS

In a list of film titles for which Jack Nicholson received an Oscar nomination, these two four-letter adjectives each appear twice
Spoiler
What are "easy" and "good"?
the films are...
Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, A Few Good Men, and As Good as It Gets
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 am THE ACADEMY AWARDS

In a list of film titles for which Jack Nicholson received an Oscar nomination, these two four-letter adjectives each appear twice
Spoiler
the films are...
I got the adjectives while only coming up with three of the movies. Oddly, I got the latter of each pair first, which I'd say are each less well known than their respective formers.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spoiler
the films are...
TOC level if you need both--and even then a tough clue, I think. If you ask for one of the two, I think it's a great but still tough regular FJ. Maybe that's just because I couldn't come up with the second adjective. It does seem like a lot to sort through, going through Nicholson flicks looking for adjectives and then trying to think of a different film of his with the same adjective.
Spoiler
I got "easy" after a bit of thought. Then I spun my wheels and finally decided I'd guess "last" in a pinch, hoping I was forgetting the movie that would pair with The Last Detail.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:17 am

Spoiler
the films are...
TOC level if you need both--and even then a tough clue, I think. If you ask for one of the two, I think it's a great but still tough regular FJ. Maybe that's just because I couldn't come up with the second adjective. It does seem like a lot to sort through, going through Nicholson flicks looking for adjectives and then trying to think of a different film of his with the same adjective.
Spoiler
I got "easy" after a bit of thought. Then I spun my wheels and finally decided I'd guess "last" in a pinch, hoping I was forgetting the movie that would pair with The Last Detail.
This would work much better as a LL clue. 30 seconds just isn't a reasonable amount of time to go through Nicholson's considerable body of work to come up with two adjectives that each appear twice.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide