Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by hbomb1947 »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:38 am
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm Because when you have a Canadian geography question, I always feel you need a corresponding Australian one.

Category: Australian Cities

This is the only Australian state capital not named for a person.
Spoiler
Answer: Perth
I like that one. The only one that I know for sure is named after a person is
Spoiler
Darwin
(and yes, it's named after who you think it is, but due to his maritime career).
Spoiler
Darwin
isn't a state capital. It's the capital of the Northern Territory - which is a territory, not a state.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 am THE ACADEMY AWARDS

In a list of film titles for which Jack Nicholson received an Oscar nomination, these two four-letter adjectives each appear twice
Spoiler
What are "easy" and "good"?
the films are...
Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, A Few Good Men, and As Good as It Gets
i like it...i got them...but i think for a 30 second window, it might be a bit tough for 2...1 of the 2 i think would be decent for such a short time allowance
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

PERIODICALS

This London-based magazine-format newspaper concerning the “dismal science” appointed Zanny Minton Beddoes as its first female editor-in-chief in 2015.
Spoiler
What is The Economist?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Movie Commonality

The film franchises of Friday the 13th, Leprechaun, and The Muppets have all had a film set in this location
Spoiler
space
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

20th CENTURY FRENCHMEN

These two 20th century Frenchmen, one a composer, the other a novelist, sound like they have the same name, but actually have differently spelled surnames.
Spoiler
Who are Pierre Boulez and Pierre Boulle?
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:56 am 20th CENTURY FRENCHMEN

These two 20th century Frenchmen, one a composer, the other a novelist, sound like they have the same name, but actually have differently spelled surnames.
Spoiler
don't think i can name more than a handful of french dudes born or historically significant in the 20th century...tony parker, nicholas batum, rudy gobert, andre the giant, richard gasquet, fabrice santoro, yannich noah, jo willifried tsonga, theirry henry, cdg and jacque cousteau..about all i got...going to go out on a limb and say none of those dudes are in the answer to that question
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Spoiler
Spoiler
"Sound like they have the same name" is too mushy, it needs to be pinned better. Also, they don't sound the same... Boulle is pronounced "bool" and Boulez is pronounced "boo-lay."
Perhaps something like this?

This pair of 20th century Frenchmen, and author and a composer, share a first name and the same first three letters of their last names.
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:45 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
"Sound like they have the same name" is too mushy, it needs to be pinned better. Also, they don't sound the same... Boulle is pronounced "bool" and Boulez is pronounced "boo-lay."
Boulez is pronounced Boo-LEZ. The premise of the clue is wrong, so why protect it?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the 10,000 dollar banknote of this asian country is the most valuable banknote currently issued in the world

Spoiler
brunei
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:13 am the 10,000 dollar banknote of this asian country is the most valuable banknote currently issued in the world

Spoiler
brunei
Need to pin the definition of valuable. Zimbabwe has a $100 trillion note
Total game show career losings = $171,522
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Spoiler
I have long thought a similar clue would work well involving
Spoiler
Kurt Weill (German composer, The Threepenny Opera, collaborator with Brecht) and Kurt Vile (American singer-songwriter, "Pretty Pimpin'")
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:26 am
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:13 am the 10,000 dollar banknote of this asian country is the most valuable banknote currently issued in the world

Spoiler
brunei
Taking advantage of that we could turn the clue around:
This country currently prints the largest-denominated banknote in the world.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:20 am

Spoiler
brunei
That would probably be too easy for an FJ
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

davey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:50 am
mas3cf wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:45 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
Boulez is pronounced Boo-LEZ. The premise of the clue is wrong, so why protect it?
It's worth protecting, I think, because both names are Jeopardy Canon as responses, albeit deep Jeopardy Canon. And French names can be tricky to pronounce.

In 1969 PIERRE BOULEZ replaced Leonard Bernstein as director of the NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC.

PIERRE BOULLE is the author of "The Bridge over the River Kwai", which became the film The Bridge on the River Kwai; and "Monkey Planet", which became Planet of the Apes.

Both were triple stumpers on their shows (Boulez stumped Ken Jennings, Boulle stumped ToCer Erik Larsen), and any later references have been within the clues or with additional hints.

LSV is good for bringing up hard stuff that's worth knowing, but he is in danger of joining Will and Ariel Durant and "The Encyclopedia of Women's Myths and Secrets" in Trivia Hell if he doesn't tighten up his accuracy.
davey

Post by davey »

You can't tighten up a cIue based on a false premise. I was saying the clue wasn't worth spoilerizing, not that the 2 names aren't worth knowing.
I suppose it's a good question - would Bool be an acceptable oral (or written, for that matter) response on J! for the conductor? I think not, since it corresponds with neither a French nor an English convention for the spelling, and you lose a syllable. Boo-lay should be acceptable though.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Spoiler
brunei
does it really? valuable equates to what the note can yield you in return...that note gets you 40 usd...seems self-explanatory as to what valuable means in currency...besides...i have asian in the clue...zimbabwe does not fit into that criteria...also, i have issued...they did away with the zimbabwean dollar and no longer issue them..they now use the rtgs dollar which was set close to the usd and remains relative close
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:20 am

Spoiler
brunei
they don't print it anymore
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Spoiler
brunei
does it really? valuable equates to what the note can yield you in return...that note gets you 40 usd...seems self-explanatory as to what valuable means in currency...besides...i have asian in the clue...zimbabwe does not fit into that criteria...also, i have issued...they did away with the zimbabwean dollar and no longer issue them..they now use the rtgs dollar which was set close to the usd and remains relative close

If you don’t already get why this needs better pinning, explaining it sure ain’t gunna help.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:02 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Spoiler
brunei

If you don’t already get why this needs better pinning, explaining it sure ain’t gunna help.
do a search for "most valuable banknote currently issued"...there is no discrepancy and nothing about denomination of the banknote being the basis of being valuable...plus there are only 3 asian countries with the dollar as their currency and the country in question would meet the denomination=valuable tag anyway
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.