Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:26 pm
Am I missing something obvious with the 1940s?
Oops, *I* was missing something obvious with the 1940s. :shock:

Clue updated.
Last edited by mas3cf on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:49 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:08 am
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 am
Here's a tougher Presidents one:

U.S. PRESIDENTS

The most recent decade with presidents from only one political party.
Spoiler
Show
What are the 1900s? (McKinley, T.Roosevelt, Taft)
Spoiler
Show
What is 1983-1992?
If you want to get all technical about it,
Spoiler
Show
the time period you are referring to ended in 1993.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm

A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm

mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm

mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?
Paul Newman is a correct response if you define "decade" to mean "any period of 10 calendar years" (as I am doing here) instead of "10 calendar years starting with the same digit in the tens spot, such as the 1960s or 1970s". Brian and Holly were both brought back later.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:55 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?
Paul Newman is a correct response if you define "decade" to mean "any period of 10 calendar years" (as I am doing here) instead of "10 calendar years starting with the same digit in the tens spot, such as the 1960s or 1970s". Brian and Holly were both brought back later.
Ah, okay, thanks. Perhaps the term "decade" is best avoided. In the common vernacular, if someone asked me which decade I was born in, I'd say the 1980s... not "1978-1987." Same goes for the term "year" which is commonly taken to refer to a block of time starting on January 1 and ending on December 31. The answer to "What year were you born?" would essentially never be something like "March 13, 1983 - March 12, 1984."

But yes, technically, 1983-1992 is a decade. And it's still wrong because by the same logic, Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993 is a decade. ;)

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6884
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:58 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.
Then you weren't referring to the most recent decade.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6362
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:06 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?
Paul Newman is a correct response if you define "decade" to mean "any period of 10 calendar years" (as I am doing here) instead of "10 calendar years starting with the same digit in the tens spot, such as the 1960s or 1970s". Brian and Holly were both brought back later.
It's not strictly that "decade" can mean any arbitrary period of ten years which made Paul Newman potentially correct in that case; it's that "the last 5 consecutive decades" can mean "each of the five consecutive ten-year periods extending back from the present moment." If the same FJ clue had been given in 2008 or 2009 and a contestant or contestants responded with Paul Newman, J! would not need to bring them back, because he was not nominated for his acting during the period 30-40 years prior.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 am

CANADIAN PRIME MINISTERS

Travis McGee can tell you that this man was Canada's first Prime Minister.
Spoiler
Show
Who is John A. MacDonald?
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 130.2k games
Alpaca Farm: 1333 quizzes

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by davey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 am

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 am
CANADIAN PRIME MINISTERS

Travis McGee can tell you that this man was Canada's first Prime Minister.
Spoiler
Show
Who is John A. MacDonald?
Spoiler
Show
Is the point to lead players to guess the wrong middle initial? I have a feeling fewer will know the significance of the hint than will know the Prime Minister's name...

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm

20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 130.2k games
Alpaca Farm: 1333 quizzes

User avatar
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by pinkfreud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Show
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6362
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm

pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Show
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.
Except for "female" in the category. (But I think it's a bad clue all the same.)

Bigdogstalfos
Valued Contributor
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Bigdogstalfos » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm

Category: Nicknames

The defense of the crest of Henry Hill on July 21, 1861 gave this man his famous nickname.
Spoiler
Show
Answer: Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Bigdogstalfos wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm
Category: Nicknames

The defense of the crest of Henry Hill on July 21, 1861 gave this man his famous nickname.
Spoiler
Show
Answer: Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
He was a good fella

User avatar
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by pinkfreud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm
pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Show
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.
Except for "female" in the category. (But I think it's a bad clue all the same.)
D'oh! Sometimes I am category-blind. I blame this on my age, and on the inevitable "hardening of the smarteries."

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 pm

pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm
pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Show
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.
Except for "female" in the category. (But I think it's a bad clue all the same.)
D'oh! Sometimes I am category-blind. I blame this on my age, and on the inevitable "hardening of the smarteries."
That's a clever turn of phrase. I like it.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm

POP CULTURE THROUGH THE GENERATIONS

In 2009, this member of the Monkees appeared in an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants
Spoiler
Show
Who is Davy Jones (and his locker)?
(This one could be made easier with another clue, but I like it this way.)

Post Reply