Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:36 pm Category: Popular musicians

This singer estimated in a recent interview that he donates the royalties for about 40% of his catalog due to the songs violating his religious convictions.
Spoiler
Who is Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens?

(Prince passing away removes a major potential source of negbait.)
Spoiler
I guessed Kanye West and was sure I had an instaget.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This singer estimated in a recent interview that he donates the royalties for about 40% of his catalog due to the songs violating his religious convictions.
Spoiler

Interesting. I didn't know this, but I guessed right. Does he list which songs? I'm betting at least on
Spoiler
If You Want to Sing Out.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Spoiler

Interesting. I didn't know this, but I guessed right. Does he list which songs? I'm betting at least on
Spoiler
If You Want to Sing Out.
The only one he mentioned was
Spoiler
The Boy With the Moon and Star on His Head.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

OSCAR-WINNING ROLES

Two women won Best Actress 40 years apart for playing characters with this five-letter first name
Spoiler
What is Alice? (Ellen Burstyn, Alice Doesnt't Live Here Anymore 1974; Julianne Moore, Still Alice, 2014
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CITY NAME ORIGINS

The original name of this city, founded in 59 BC, reflected its location between two rivers.
Spoiler
What is Florence? (original name Fluentia). Baghdad is possible negbait here, but it was founded way before 59 BC.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 am CITY NAME ORIGINS

The original name of this city, founded in 59 BC, reflected its location between two rivers.
Spoiler
What is Florence? (original name Fluentia). Baghdad is possible negbait here, but it was founded way before 59 BC.
Spoiler
I said Budapest. Thinking about "original name" should have steered me away from that path.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

This is probably too obscure to be actually used, but when I stumbled across the fact I just couldn't resist.

Category: US Vice Presidents
He was the only 19th century veep to serve two full terms as Vice President

(I'm not sure that adding the years he served and/or which which president he served under would make it any easier)

Answer:
Spoiler
Who was Daniel D. Tompkins
For lagniappe:
Spoiler
like the S in Ulysses S Grant and the S in Harry S Truman, the D in Daniel D Tompkins probably doesn't stand for anything
earendel

Post by earendel »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:57 am This is probably too obscure to be actually used, but when I stumbled across the fact I just couldn't resist.

(I'm not sure that adding the years he served and/or which which president he served under would make it any easier)

Answer:
Spoiler
Who was Daniel D. Tompkins
For lagniappe:
Spoiler
like the S in Ulysses S Grant and the S in Harry S Truman, the D in Daniel D Tompkins probably doesn't stand for anything
"And I'll bet your Mr. Sawyer doesn't know that!"
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:57 am This is probably too obscure to be actually used, but when I stumbled across the fact I just couldn't resist.

Agreed that it's too obscure, but they did use this fact in a Battle of the Decades FJ:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4438 wrote:He is the only 19th century president to serve 2 complete terms with the same vice president
I got that one right with knowledge of a few other presidents and luck (because I didn't know much about Monroe beyond his being a two-term prez, and didn't think of potential distractor Grant in my reasoning). And that FJ ultimately gave me the knowledge to solve yours.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

OSCARS

Two actresses who were born about 34 1/2 years apart, and who were born about 10,500 miles apart, each earned a 1998 Oscar nomination for playing this role in two separate films.
Spoiler
Who is Queen Elizabeth I? (Judi Dench, Best Supporting Actress winner for Shakespeare in Love, and Cate Blanchett, Best Actress nominee for Elizabeth.)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

WESTERN HEMISPHERE CAPITALS

The Atlantic Ocean is less than 100 miles due west of this city whose east coast is on the Pacific.
Spoiler
What is Panama City?
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

earendel wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 pm

"And I'll bet your Mr. Sawyer doesn't know that!"

Nice. ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:33 pm WESTERN HEMISPHERE CAPITALS

The Atlantic Ocean is less than 100 miles due west of this city whose east coast is on the Pacific.
Spoiler
What is Panama City?
I don't think most people would consider that to be the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe an arm of the Atlantic ...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

SONG DEMOS

The original demo of this song had the opening line "Singin' the blues when the Red Sox lose"; the revised lyric was heard weekly by millions.
Spoiler
What is "The theme from Cheers"?, or "Where Everybody Knows Your Name"? Either one (or both) is acceptable - Spotify has both titles on different albums.

Too hard and/or misdirecting? My original category was TV THEME SONGS, but that narrowed it down too much, IMO, so I hid it in the "heard weekly by millions". I beefed it up by asking for the revised 7-word line "Makin' your way in the world today", but that seemed to require a little bit too much in-depth knowledge.

EDIT: Nice catch, Wayne - "revised lyric" is indeed more accurate than "revised version".
Last edited by talkingaway on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:36 pm SONG DEMOS

The original demo of this song had the opening line "Singin' the blues when the Red Sox lose"; the revised version was heard weekly by millions.
Spoiler
What is "The theme from Cheers"?, or "Where Everybody Knows Your Name"? Either one (or both) is acceptable - Spotify has both titles on different albums.

Too hard and/or misdirecting? My original category was TV THEME SONGS, but that narrowed it down too much, IMO, so I hid it in the "heard weekly by millions". I beefed it up by asking for the revised 7-word line "Makin' your way in the world today", but that seemed to require a little bit too much in-depth knowledge.
Spoiler
i think the part of "heard weekly by millions" really helps state that this is a TV theme, and with those lyrics, takes place in Boston. I might change "revised version" to "revised lyric" because the entire song was not used as the theme...just my opinion though.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

SYMBOLS

This symbol will celebrate its 60th year in its current form in the summer of 2020; its penultimate and antipenultimate versions lasted for exactly 1 year and exactly 47 years, respectively.
Spoiler
What is the flag of the United States?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:07 pm SYMBOLS

This symbol will celebrate its 60th year in its current form in the summer of 2020; its penultimate and antipenultimate versions lasted for exactly 1 year and exactly 47 years, respectively.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Great question. It is fundamentally easy and will be a headslap to those who fumble it. It has the chops to teach something that wasn't known, or at least hadn't been realized. The first math point is easy, then some work to get to 1912 which isn't even needed, but still reassuring. And, I liked the use of "exactly". What would be pinned to an anniversary date? TIL that new flags debut in the summer following statehood. I don't know if it's on Flag Day or July 4, but I'm slightly smarter anyway.
Finally, props for introducing "antepenultimate" :) . spell check hates it ;)
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Spoiler
Spoiler
Great question. It is fundamentally easy and will be a headslap to those who fumble it. It has the chops to teach something that wasn't known, or at least hadn't been realized. The first math point is easy, then some work to get to 1912 which isn't even needed, but still reassuring. And, I liked the use of "exactly". What would be pinned to an anniversary date? TIL that new flags debut in the summer following statehood. I don't know if it's on Flag Day or July 4, but I'm slightly smarter anyway.
We might want to hide this... ;)
Spoiler
But in response....this question came to mind when I was wandering the internet and found a picture of 39 versions of the US flag. Also, our current flag is the longest tenured flag in history - I originally wanted to include that, but ditched it. The 48-starred version is, unsurprisingly, the second-oldest one.

The stars weren't fixed into place until moderately recently - one version had "76" made up of a bunch of stars. I then Wikied the flag, and noticed that the flag always gets modified on the July 4th following the admission of a state - so, I literally learned that fact today, too.

I wanted to include the number of forms of the US flag, but because they kept moving around the stars, it's not as simple as 50 - 13 + 1. (In fact, with double admission of states, that wouldn't even be accurate.) With the extra forms that are possibly not easily countable due to "unofficial" variants, I figured the number wouldn't be helpful.

The "antepenultimate" was borne out of necessity - it was a quick way of giving the timeline of the latest three versions of the flag.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Spoiler
Spoiler
We might want to hide this... ;)
Spoiler
But in response....this question came to mind when I was wandering the internet and found a picture of 39 versions of the US flag. Also, our current flag is the longest tenured flag in history - I originally wanted to include that, but ditched it. The 48-starred version is, unsurprisingly, the second-oldest one.

The stars weren't fixed into place until moderately recently - one version had "76" made up of a bunch of stars. I then Wikied the flag, and noticed that the flag always gets modified on the July 4th following the admission of a state - so, I literally learned that fact today, too.

I wanted to include the number of forms of the US flag, but because they kept moving around the stars, it's not as simple as 50 - 13 + 1. (In fact, with double admission of states, that wouldn't even be accurate.) With the extra forms that are possibly not easily countable due to "unofficial" variants, I figured the number wouldn't be helpful.

The "antepenultimate" was borne out of necessity - it was a quick way of giving the timeline of the latest three versions of the flag.
:oops: My bad, spoilered now. I composed a neutral response and forgot to spoiler when I went rogue. I did qualify that the clue made me "slightly" smarter.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

THE ELEMENTS

Atomic number 82, it was the heaviest element known in the ancient world.
Spoiler
What is lead?