Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by cheezguyty »

I'M TELLING YOU NOW THAT THERE WILL BE MATH

Knighted by Philip IV, Spanish Baroque playwright Pedro Calderón de la Barca was born in and died in these two years whose numbers are each a perfect square
Spoiler
What are 1600 and 1681?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:33 pm I'M TELLING YOU NOW THAT THERE WILL BE MATH

Knighted by Philip IV, Spanish Baroque playwright Pedro Calderón de la Barca was born in and died in these two years whose numbers are each a perfect square
Spoiler
What are 1600 and 1681?
Spoiler
Sorry. Born in 81, died in 144 is about as high as I'm willing to attempt on a clue like this.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:33 pm I'M TELLING YOU NOW THAT THERE WILL BE MATH

Spoiler
What are 1600 and 1681?
Spoiler
Sorry. Born in 81, died in 144 is about as high as I'm willing to attempt on a clue like this.
I can easily get from one perfect square to the next (or previous), so I assumed there would be a fairly simple square to start off with, after which I'd take a step forward, and there's only one easy perfect square that could conceivably occur during a Baroque time period.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This is a more difficult version of a previous FJ! that went 0/2, but is best solved NOT using Alex's comment in the FJ! game.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4938

I SAID NO MORE MATH!

Of the 343 unit cubes used to create a 7x7x7 Rubik's Cube, this is the number of unit cubes that can be seen on the surface, without taking it apart.
Spoiler
What is 218?

In the original, Alex had an 8x8 chessboard where you counted 8 x 4 = 32 perimeter squares and subtracted the 4 corner squares because you counted twice, giving the right answer of 28. But the slicker way is to take the inner 6x6 square and remove it from the 8x8 square, leaving just the border of 64-36 = 28.

In this version, removing the central 5x5x5 = 125 unit cubes leaves a shell of 343 - 125 = 218. You can try Alex's method, but you wind up adding 6 7x7 faces, subtracting 12 7x1 edges, and adding back 8 1x1x1 vertices.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

NEGBAIT

Mark Twain was the first cousin three times removed of this player on the 2000 New York Yankees.
Spoiler
Who is Paul O'Neill? (Not Roger Clemens!)
Last edited by mas3cf on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 am This is a more difficult version of a previous FJ! that went 0/2, but is best solved NOT using Alex's comment in the FJ! game.

I SAID NO MORE MATH!

Of the 343 unit cubes used to create a 7x7x7 Rubik's Cube, this is the number of unit cubes that can be seen on the surface, without taking it apart.
Spoiler
What is 218?

In the original, Alex had an 8x8 chessboard where you counted 8 x 4 = 32 perimeter squares and subtracted the 4 corner squares because you counted twice, giving the right answer of 28. But the slicker way is to take the inner 6x6 square and remove it from the 8x8 square, leaving just the border of 64-36 = 28.

In this version, removing the central 5x5x5 = 125 unit cubes leaves a shell of 343 - 125 = 218. You can try Alex's method, but you wind up adding 6 7x7 faces, subtracting 12 7x1 edges, and adding back 8 1x1x1 vertices.
I got there with (7*7)*2 + (7*5)*2 + (5*5)*2 = 98+70+50 = 218. The removing 125 cubes is far more elegant, though.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:16 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 am This is a more difficult version of a previous FJ! that went 0/2, but is best solved NOT using Alex's comment in the FJ! game.

I SAID NO MORE MATH!

Spoiler
What is 218?

I got there with (7*7)*2 + (7*5)*2 + (5*5)*2 = 98+70+50 = 218. The removing 125 cubes is far more elegant, though.
Yup, that's why I picked those numbers and gave the 343 as a hint - so you could compute 5^3 (not hard) and subtract it from the number already given. The technical term is "complementary counting" - you count what you DON'T want, and subtract it from everything.

The other organized way would be to count the faces - that's 6 * 7^2 = 294. But the edges are counted twice - once for each face it belongs to. So we subtract the 7 pieces on each of 12 edges, for 294 - 7 * 12 = 210. But the eight vertices were added three times each (once for each face they belong to) and subtracted three times each (once for each edge that they belong to), so they need to be added back in. So that's 218, but it's way too much math for 30 seconds.
mas3cf wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:14 pm NEGBAIT

Mark Twain was the third cousin once removed of this player on the 2000 New York Yankees.
Spoiler
https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/cousin-chart/

Is that accurate? Typically "once removed" means they're a single generation apart - same generation gap as a you and your son. Considering they were born over 100 years apart, that seems unlikely.

Perhaps your source meant "First cousin three times removed"? That would be three generations apart - same generation gap as you and your great-grandson.

Granted, with criss-crossed family trees, anything is possible....
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 pm

Mark Twain was the third cousin once removed of this player on the 2000 New York Yankees.
Spoiler

Is that accurate? Typically "once removed" means they're a single generation apart - same generation gap as a you and your son. Considering they were born over 100 years apart, that seems unlikely.

Perhaps your source meant "First cousin three times removed"? That would be three generations apart - same generation gap as you and your great-grandson.

It looks like you're right on the numbers being swapped:
https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/e0e6a247
Paul’s great-grandfather, a Nebraska homesteader, married Mary Clemens, a cousin to Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known to posterity as Mark Twain.
If that quote is accurate (and if "cousin" by itself implies a first cousin), then O'Neill is three generations descended from a first cousin of Mark Twain, indeed making them first cousins three times removed.

But it's not entirely farfetched for a pair of third cousins once removed to be born a century apart—let's imagine O'Neill's ggggrandparents are Twain's gggrandparents (the other way around is possible with the same terminology, but the hypothetical is more plausible this way). First off, Twain could be descended from the oldest child of those ancestors while O'Neill is descended from the youngest one. Off the top of my head, the most spread-out siblings I personally know have a 15-year age difference, so I'll start there. Now, imagine each of Mark Twain's forebears have the relevant child at 18. Twain was born in 1835, so that would mean that his grandparent is 36 at his birth, and his ggrandparent is 54, having been born to Twain's latest common ancestor with O'Neill in 1781. Now imagine that the youngest sibling—born in 1796—has a child at 42 in 1838, who has a child at 42 in 1880, who has a child at 42 in 1922, who doesn't wait as long and has Paul O'Neill at 41 in 1963. What with Twain's lineage having a 15-year head start, O'Neill being descended an extra generation, and each of O'Neill's prior generations being about 24 years longer, O'Neill being one generation behind, yet 128 years behind Twain could have happened.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:16 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 am

Spoiler

Yes, you're right. I'll fix it...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:18 am If that quote is accurate (and if "cousin" by itself implies a first cousin), then O'Neill is three generations descended from a first cousin of Mark Twain, indeed making them first cousins three times removed.

But it's not entirely farfetched for a pair of third cousins once removed to be born a century apart—let's imagine O'Neill's ggggrandparents are Twain's gggrandparents (the other way around is possible with the same terminology, but the hypothetical is more plausible this way). First off, Twain could be descended from the oldest child of those ancestors while O'Neill is descended from the youngest one. Off the top of my head, the most spread-out siblings I personally know have a 15-year age difference, so I'll start there. Now, imagine each of Mark Twain's forebears have the relevant child at 18. Twain was born in 1835, so that would mean that his grandparent is 36 at his birth, and his ggrandparent is 54, having been born to Twain's latest common ancestor with O'Neill in 1781. Now imagine that the youngest sibling—born in 1796—has a child at 42 in 1838, who has a child at 42 in 1880, who has a child at 42 in 1922, who doesn't wait as long and has Paul O'Neill at 41 in 1963. What with Twain's lineage having a 15-year head start, O'Neill being descended an extra generation, and each of O'Neill's prior generations being about 24 years longer, O'Neill being one generation behind, yet 128 years behind Twain could have happened.
Yup, I think I saw that source from sabr when I did a cursory google, and I had the exact same thought as you did - people often say "cousin" when they're related to a relative, but they don't quite know the exact relationship. The nomenclature has always felt weird to me - "uncle" and "nephew" are two terms that are asymmetric, and rightfully so. But they're both equivalent to "zeroth cousins once removed", which is symmetric.

And I also thought of that "criss-crossed" lineage too, but didn't bother with the math, so thanks for confirming that. It's possible, but it seems more likely that it's the other way around, especially when you consider that the general trend of marriage and childbearing over the last 2 centuries (and particularly the last 50 or so years) has been to have children later in life. Having a child at 42 in 1796 I'm sure wasn't unheard of, but it certainly wasn't the average.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:35 am And I also thought of that "criss-crossed" lineage too, but didn't bother with the math, so thanks for confirming that. It's possible, but it seems more likely that it's the other way around, especially when you consider that the general trend of marriage and childbearing over the last 2 centuries (and particularly the last 50 or so years) has been to have children later in life. Having a child at 42 in 1796 I'm sure wasn't unheard of, but it certainly wasn't the average.
You never know; prolific people necessarily do some late reproducing. John Tyler had 15 children (albeit by two different wives) from 1815 to 1860 (by which point he was 70). (His grandchildren were born at least as early as 1839 and as late as 1928!)
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

NAMES IN THE NEWS

In the 1980s, this Cornell Medical College graduate was recognized for advancements in the treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and Wegener’s granulomatosis
Spoiler
TONY FAUCI
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MYSTERY WRITERS

This author was born on January 11, 1905 and on October 20, 1905.
Spoiler
Who is Ellery Queen?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

AFRICAN CAPITALS

The national revenue authority is located at the intersection of A.B. Tolbert Rd. and Tubman Boulevard in this city
Spoiler
What is Monrovia?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:41 pm AFRICAN CAPITALS

The national revenue authority is located at the intersection of A.B. Tolbert Rd. and Tubman Boulevard in this city
Spoiler
What is Monrovia?
I really like this one -- good clue, takes a moment of consideration to follow the bread crumbs. Only comment is
Spoiler
the category name is specific enough that it might be better as a DD. Perhaps changing from "African Capitals" to "World Capitals" may cause it to require a smidgen more thought as an FJ.
Nicely done.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:23 am MYSTERY WRITERS

Spoiler
Who is Ellery Queen?
comments
Spoiler
This interests me because I was a huge Ellery Queen fan growing up, and have recently been reading through the books again. Alas, EQ has been largely forgotten, but I can't say that's entirely undeserved. Many of the books aren't good, and most of them are filled with the worst kind of sexism and racial slurs...
I guess the idea here is that the 2 dates give away that the "author" is fictional, but I'm afraid it didn't ring any bells for me. (I also didn't pay attention to the category until too late... :oops: ) Are these dates given in 2 different books? Of course, the character didn't age much over the life of the books, so I'm surprised the 2 dates are in the same year. The evolution of Ellery the character from the first book in 1929 into the series' golden age in the 40s and 50s is one of the most fascinating parts of the EQ story for me...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

POP CULTURE

A 2016 Huffpost article estimated that it would take approximately $6.28 billion dollars (in 2016) to do this, a line featured in a 1971 commercial.
Decent-sized hint
Reread the category.
Spoiler
What is "buy the world a Coke"?

Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/want-to- ... b_10591476
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Spoiler
Who is Ellery Queen?
comments
Spoiler
This interests me because I was a huge Ellery Queen fan growing up, and have recently been reading through the books again. Alas, EQ has been largely forgotten, but I can't say that's entirely undeserved. Many of the books aren't good, and most of them are filled with the worst kind of sexism and racial slurs...
I guess the idea here is that the 2 dates give away that the "author" is fictional, but I'm afraid it didn't ring any bells for me. (I also didn't pay attention to the category until too late... :oops: ) Are these dates given in 2 different books? Of course, the character didn't age much over the life of the books, so I'm surprised the 2 dates are in the same year. The evolution of Ellery the character from the first book in 1929 into the series' golden age in the 40s and 50s is one of the most fascinating parts of the EQ story for me...
Spoiler
The 2 dates are the birthdates of the real-life authors... the intent was to get you to latch onto a mystery writer who was actually 2 people. Could probably use some fact-checking/wordsmithing from someone actually familiar with EQ...
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 pm
davey wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Spoiler
Who is Ellery Queen?
comments
Spoiler
Spoiler
The 2 dates are the birthdates of the real-life authors... the intent was to get you to latch onto a mystery writer who was actually 2 people. Could probably use some fact-checking/wordsmithing from someone actually familiar with EQ...
Spoiler
Of course!... I didn't think for a moment of Dannay and Lee... :oops: :oops: It should have been obvious to a fan, but if the character has become obscure the authors must be even more so...I guess for me though Ellery Queen still lives!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

19TH CENTURY ARTISTS

In 1839, he wrote to a friend, "I have seized the light, I have arrested its flight."
Spoiler
Who is Louis Daguerre?