Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:18 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:10 pm STATE CAPITALS

Other than salt, lake, and city, it's the only 4-letter English common noun that appears in the name of a US state capital
Spoiler
What is rock?
I think you've got to be a little more specific in your wording.
Spoiler
Sacramento, Hartford, Hartford, Honolulu, Springfield, Frankfort, Frankfort, Augusta, Jackson, Carson City, Concord, Trenton, Salem, Pierre.
Check new wording and see what you think....
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Other than salt, lake, and city, it's the only 4-letter English common noun that appears in the name of a US state capital
Spoiler
What is rock?
Spoiler
Sacramento, Hartford, Hartford, Honolulu, Springfield, Frankfort, Frankfort, Augusta, Jackson, Carson City, Concord, Trenton, Salem, Pierre.
Spoiler
In mas3cf's revision, the addition of "is a word" made the clue more specific, but less fun.

We also have June, dove, burg. Add adjectives and verbs and we can also count tall, sing, rich, and char. And "rale" (pronounced to rhyme with "pal") is also a noun, though uncommon; rales are diagnostic breath sounds sometimes heard through a stethoscope.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

EUROPEAN CITIES

Founded in the 6th century BC, it replaced a settlement that then came to be known as the "old city."
Spoiler
What is Naples (or Napoli)? (Neapolis = new city)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:54 pm

Spoiler
What is rock?
Spoiler
Spoiler
In mas3cf's revision, the addition of "is a word" made the clue more specific, but less fun.

We also have June, dove, burg. Add adjectives and verbs and we can also count tall, sing, rich, and char. And "rale" (pronounced to rhyme with "pal") is also a noun, though uncommon; rales are diagnostic breath sounds sometimes heard through a stethoscope.
I totally missed "dove." I wasn't sure whether "burg" was more than a suffix and forgot to look it up. "June" doesn't fit the common noun stipulation.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

NAME'S THE SAME

The name of a sportswear logo, it was also the original name of a video game character who first appeared in 1981.
Spoiler
What is Jumpman? (Air Jordan/Mario)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

US CITIES

This city's sister cities include Chongqing, China; Toyota, Japan; and Turin, Italy.
Spoiler
What is Detroit?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:17 am US CITIES

This city's sister cities include Chongqing, China; Toyota, Japan; and Turin, Italy.
Spoiler
What is Detroit?
I really enjoy these, but my sense is that they're too hard for regular play. I could be wrong. Maybe you could run a poll or two with 8 to 16 of your FJs. In Season 35, boardies responding to the weekly poll averaged 70% on FJs. That's high, though. From Seasons 28 to 34 we averaged 61-65%. There's some selection bias in those stats which likely means the numbers skew high. I'd say under 50% would indicate an FJ is on the difficult side, but not necessaril unfair. Under 25% tends to indicate the clue is too difficult or the it's got problems with its wording or its facts.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 am

Spoiler
What is Detroit?
I really enjoy these, but my sense is that they're too hard for regular play. I could be wrong. Maybe you could run a poll or two with 8 to 16 of your FJs. In Season 35, boardies responding to the weekly poll averaged 70% on FJs. That's high, though. From Seasons 28 to 34 we averaged 61-65%. There's some selection bias in those stats which likely means the numbers skew high. I'd say under 50% would indicate an FJ is on the difficult side, but not necessaril unfair. Under 25% tends to indicate the clue is too difficult or the it's got problems with its wording or its facts.
Sure thing, I can give that a try. For this one, I figured
Spoiler
Toyota would lead you to the auto industry if Chongqing and Turin didn't. From there, auto industry -> Detroit is the obvious jump
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Spoiler
What is Detroit?
A similar FJ was used in regular play (and was a triple-get): http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ta+detroit
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

nserven wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:20 pm

Spoiler
What is Detroit?
A similar FJ was used in regular play (and was a triple-get): http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ta+detroit
Darn, I guess I'm not as creative as I thought... :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Spoiler
What is Detroit?
Sure thing, I can give that a try. For this one, I figured
Spoiler
Toyota would lead you to the auto industry if Chongqing and Turin didn't. From there, auto industry -> Detroit is the obvious jump
I actually got this one, but I've gotten very few of them.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Spoiler
What is Detroit?
As I said upthread, no sense making another thread for good questions we want to share that don't happen to fit the FJ mold.

That said, I agree most of these are tougher, and don't have much if anything in the way of clues to make them YEKIOYD.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

WORDPLAY

Add a letter to a region of the electromagnetic spectrum to get this adjective that has been used to describe such films as "The Wild Bunch", "A Clockwork Orange", and "Scarface"
Spoiler
What is ultraviolent?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This could be phrased in several variants to look for different pieces of story - the composer, the song, for whom it was written, what it became, etc.

CLASSICAL COMPOSERS

In approximately 1796, this native of Austria, also known as the "Father of the String Quartet," wrote a song in honor of the last Holy Roman Emperor that later would become the national anthem of a different country.
Spoiler
Joseph Haydn

He wrote "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser" as an anthem for Emperor Francis II. After many uses over the years, the melody became the German national anthem in 1922 as "Deutschlandlied" (AKA Deutschland Uber Alles").
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

FAMOUS THINKERS

In 1954, this person wrote, "I believe in Spinoza’s god, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world."
Spoiler
Who is Albert Einstein?
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

DANTE'S INFERNO

Two of the three biblical men whose names were given to the concentric rings in the frozen lake at the bottom of hell.
Spoiler

(two of) Cain, Ptolemy & Judas
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cf1140 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:19 pm DANTE'S INFERNO

Two of the three biblical men whose names were given to the concentric rings in the frozen lake at the bottom of hell.
Spoiler

(two of) Cain, Ptolemy & Judas
Spoiler
The middle one is from an apocryphal book that some traditions accept as canon while others don't. This makes the adjective "biblical" problematic and could disadvantage a contestant. Probably not, but maybe. It does seem that the two unambiguously biblical men--Cain and Judas--are the more likely path to victory here. Even then it seems a tad difficult (whereas asking for only one makes it a gimme). I've read the Inferno and the Bible, including the apocryphal book in question, and still didn't recall the Ring of Cain or of Ptolemy. In part this was because I wasted time thinking we were going for the three men being chewed on by the three mouths of Satan, and only one of them (Judas) was biblical. Perhaps if I'd learn to RTFC, I'd have spent my think time more productively and come up with Cain as a plausible second to the obvious Judas. If pressed for a third, I'd likely have guessed Ahab.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:05 pm FAMOUS THINKERS

In 1954, this person wrote, "I believe in Spinoza’s god, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world."
Spoiler
Who is Albert Einstein?
I like this one. I think it hits the sweet spot between too hard and too easy. It's possible to take note of the TOMs and make a good guess even if you don't recognize the quote.
Spoiler
It helps to know that Spinoza was a Jewish philosopher (also Dutch and Portuguese, but that's not important right now). That plus 1954 took me to the correct response with a fair degree of confidence.

Does anyone know whether the quote was written or spoken and whether it was in English or German? I ask because I notice that "god" is not capitalized. Some sources have it that way, others capitalize the word. If the quote was spoken and/or originally in German (which capitalizes EVERY noun) then it's a matter of interpretation how to transfer the quote to written English. But if he wrote it in English, then one way's right and the other isn't.

Of course, for J! purposes, the show has a nifty way of sidestepping that question entirely.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Spoiler
Who is Albert Einstein?
I like this one. I think it hits the sweet spot between too hard and too easy. It's possible to take note of the TOMs and make a good guess even if you don't recognize the quote.
Spoiler
It helps to know that Spinoza was a Jewish philosopher (also Dutch and Portuguese, but that's not important right now). That plus 1954 took me to the correct response with a fair degree of confidence.

Does anyone know whether the quote was written or spoken and whether it was in English or German? I ask because I notice that "god" is not capitalized. Some sources have it that way, others capitalize the word. If the quote was spoken and/or originally in German (which capitalizes EVERY noun) then it's a matter of interpretation how to transfer the quote to written English. But if he wrote it in English, then one way's right and the other isn't.

Of course, for J! purposes, the show has a nifty way of sidestepping that question entirely.
Spoiler
This article says it was in a "radiogram" sent to a NY rabbi in reply to a direct question. The query and response were in German, so "Gott" is capitalized. The Times even quotes the telegram in German.
https://www.nytimes.com/1929/04/25/arch ... th-in.html
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Spoiler
Who is Albert Einstein?
Spoiler

Spoiler
It was either adding 1954 or "scientist" somewhere in the clue or category, and I decided to shield the scientist with the more generic "thinker". I actually caught the quote from NDT's repurposed-for-COVID-viewing network series Cosmos: Possible Worlds, and looked it up. The more complete version is a little more atheistic (or, perhaps more accurately, deistic) for J's middle-of-the-road viewing, but could probably be used, although it's not particularly helpful:

"I believe in Spinoza's god, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a god who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.”

The quote from a Scientific American blog didn't have "god" capitalized, but I'd be open to capitalizing it. On the big board, it wouldn't matter, as you noted.

The "Spinoza = Jewish philosopher" was exactly the TOM I was going for. (I'm sure there are other facets of his life and philosophy that are relevant, but Dutch, Jewish, and philosphy cover about 70% of his clues.) And it wouldn't be a far cry to imagine this to be "Einstein's thoughts on God" - one of his famous quotes on quantum mechanics was "God does not play dice with the universe." Or maybe he does. You have to open the box to find out.