Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by triviawayne »

Category: On the Money

The reverse of this standard issue US denomination of currency depicts three US flags
Spoiler
$50 bill (one over the house, and one over the senate of the capitol building)
Last edited by triviawayne on Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:16 pm Category: On the Money

The reverse of this standard issue US denomination of currency depicts two US flags
Spoiler
Pretty sure it's 3 (one in front of the rotunda).
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:37 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:16 pm Category: On the Money

The reverse of this standard issue US denomination of currency depicts two US flags
Spoiler
Pretty sure it's 3 (one in front of the rotunda).
Spoiler
hidden at the base...(arrrrhhhh!!!!)

was originally thinking only one bill had a flag and went looking, then saw one on the $10 as well as the expected $20, found 2 (because I didn't see the 3rd) on the capitol
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

AWARDS & HONORS

She won three medals at the 1924 Summer Olympics, but it was a feat accomplished two years later that led to her being the first individual woman honored with a ticker-tape parade in New York City
Spoiler
Who is Gertrude Ederle?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

US STATES

The only state that borders three states with capitals named after US presidents.
Spoiler
What is Iowa?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:05 pm US STATES

The only state that borders three states with capitals named after US presidents.
Spoiler
What is Iowa?
I love it, but man, that's a tough one, zeroing in on the three it has to be and then picturing how the states line up to pick the right one. I got there, but definitely not in Think Music time. I think you've got a talent for coming up with TOC and uber-TOC level FJ clues.
Spoiler
I stalled out on Illinois for the longest time, trying to figure out if I was missing an obvious border state that would provide the magical third president. When that didn't work, I flitted down to Jackson to see if any state touched Mississippi, Missouri and a third state to be named later. Finally gave that up as a bad job and went back to Missouri and Wisconsin as likely two of the three and eventually noticed Nebraska. One good thing about this clue is it's got a short answer, so you can use up almost all the think time before you start writing. But I suppose that's true of any clue that calls for a state if you know your two-letter abbreviations AND remember that you're allowed to use them. That's probably a good discipline to practice for anyone hoping to get the Call. Any time FJ calls for a state, remind yourself that the correct answer need only have two letters.

Then you can find out that in the new Mike Richards Barry =/= Berry era, state postal codes are no longer accepted. Thanks for taking one for the team so we could confirm that. :D
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 am
mas3cf wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:05 pm US STATES

Spoiler
What is Iowa?
I love it, but man, that's a tough one, zeroing in on the three it has to be and then picturing how the states line up to pick the right one. I got there, but definitely not in Think Music time. I think you've got a talent for coming up with TOC and uber-TOC level FJ clues.
Spoiler
I stalled out on Illinois for the longest time, trying to figure out if I was missing an obvious border state that would provide the magical third president. When that didn't work, I flitted down to Jackson to see if any state touched Mississippi, Missouri and a third state to be named later. Finally gave that up as a bad job and went back to Missouri and Wisconsin as likely two of the three and eventually noticed Nebraska. One good thing about this clue is it's got a short answer, so you can use up almost all the think time before you start writing. But I suppose that's true of any clue that calls for a state if you know your two-letter abbreviations AND remember that you're allowed to use them. That's probably a good discipline to practice for anyone hoping to get the Call. Any time FJ calls for a state, remind yourself that the correct answer need only have two letters.

Then you can find out that in the new Mike Richards Barry =/= Berry era, state postal codes are no longer accepted. Thanks for taking one for the team so we could confirm that. :D
I had better luck with my chain of thought.
Spoiler
Madison and Lincoln popped almost immediately, so it was a straight shot to Iowa without having to detour to Missouri.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of state capitals ...

State Capitals.jpg
State Capitals.jpg (101.9 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

GEOMETRY IN GEOGRAPHY

With a 12-mile radius, the only true arc that forms a state border in the US is centered in this state.
Spoiler
What is Delaware?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

The last time that the two major-party candidates shared the same first name was over 100 years ago when these two faced off, one losing for the third time.
Spoiler
Who are William Howard Taft and William Jennings Bryan?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

nserven wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:23 am U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

The last time that the two major-party candidates shared the same first name was over 100 years ago when these two faced off, one losing for the third time.
Spoiler
There's an app called QuicWit where they offer up a prize (usually valued around $30) twice a day to the fastest solver of an oblique trivia question (Googling encouraged). Today's first question was a "Who am I," and part of it said, "I have many losses, including one to a man who was the heaviest to ever hold his job." From that alone, I answered based on what I had just seen in this, 46 seconds into a 15-minute time limit. I won, beating the first runner-up by less than a second, and I'll be getting a drone in the mail! Thanks!
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:43 pm
nserven wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:23 am U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

Spoiler
There's an app called QuicWit where they offer up a prize (usually valued around $30) twice a day to the fastest solver of an oblique trivia question (Googling encouraged). Today's first question was a "Who am I," and part of it said, "I have many losses, including one to a man who was the heaviest to ever hold his job." From that alone, I answered based on what I had just seen in this, 46 seconds into a 15-minute time limit. I won, beating the first runner-up by less than a second, and I'll be getting a drone in the mail! Thanks!
Glad I was able to help! Congrats!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This one is hard, but I can't resist because it's an impressive fact:

US PRESIDENTS

The first man to win two presidential elections who has neither a state capital or a national capital named after him.
Spoiler
Who is Grant? (Washington, Jefferson (City), Madison, Monro(via), Jackson, Lincoln)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:28 pm This one is hard, but I can't resist because it's an impressive fact:

US PRESIDENTS

The first man to win two presidential elections who has neither a state capital or a national capital named after him.
Spoiler
Who is Grant? (Washington, Jefferson (City), Madison, Monro(via), Jackson, Lincoln)
Seems reasonable difficulty to me. Saying 'first' tips you to start from the beginning. The trick is if you remember
Spoiler
Liberia, but you should; it's a J! favorite
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:30 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:28 pm This one is hard, but I can't resist because it's an impressive fact:

US PRESIDENTS

Spoiler
Seems reasonable difficulty to me. Saying 'first' tips you to start from the beginning. The trick is if you remember
Spoiler
Liberia, but you should; it's a J! favorite
I like this one. I got it just by going down the list of Presidents that were reelected. Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Jackson, then all the way to Lincoln, then Grant.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

U.S. PRESIDENTS

These two men each won the popular vote in three consecutive 19th-century presidential elections.
Spoiler
Who were Andrew Jackson and Grover Cleveland?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Category: Geography by Letter

Russia is the only country to border the Caspian Sea with a name that does not end with this letter.
Spoiler
What is N (Iran, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:40 am Category: Geography by Letter

Russia is the only country to border the Caspian Sea with a name that does not end with this letter.
Spoiler
What is N (Iran, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan)
Although its full name is the Russian Federation.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

LATIN AMERICAN CAPITALS

The international airport serving this city has never recorded a temperature above 80 °F, and has recorded temperatures below freezing in every month of the year.
Spoiler
What is La Paz? (due to high altitude)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:41 pm LATIN AMERICAN CAPITALS

The international airport serving this city has never recorded a temperature above 80 °F, and has recorded temperatures below freezing in every month of the year.
Spoiler
What is La Paz? (due to high altitude)
I had the right idea but went with
Spoiler
Quito, Ecuador - 9,350′ above sea level.