Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Picked Off »

U.S. PRESIDENTS

THE LAST PRESIDENT WHO WAS NEITHER A REPUBLICAN NOR A DEMOCRAT WAS ELECTED IN THIS DECADE.
Spoiler
What is the 1840s?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Picked Off wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:04 am U.S. PRESIDENTS

THE LAST PRESIDENT WHO WAS NEITHER A REPUBLICAN NOR A DEMOCRAT WAS ELECTED IN THIS DECADE.
Spoiler
What is the 1840s?
Spoiler
Technically, Lincoln ran under the National Union banner in 1864
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Picked Off wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:04 am U.S. PRESIDENTS

Spoiler
What is the 1840s?
This clue makes me uncomfortable because it's reasonable to infer "was elected president" from the context of the clue, but the last non-Democratic, non-Republican president was only elected VP. Technically it works under the wording, but I feel weird responding with the decade before he became president.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Yeah, that was actually my idea for the clue. We had a Whig in the 50s who wasn't elected in the 50s. Might be too much required for regular season.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

BIBLICAL SUFFIXES

Meaning "God" in Hebrew, these 3 letters come at the end of the names of 6 Old Testament books in the King James Bible, including the shortest and longest by word count.
Spoiler
What is -iah? (shortest = Obadiah, longest = Jeremiah, others are Nehemiah, Isaiah, Zephaniah, and Zechariah)
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 am BIBLICAL SUFFIXES

Meaning "God" in Hebrew, these 3 letters come at the end of 6 Old Testament books in the King James Bible, including the shortest and longest by word count.
Spoiler
What is -iah? (shortest = Obadiah, longest = Jeremiah, others are Nehemiah, Isaiah, Zephaniah, and Zechariah)
Spoiler
You left out "the names of," no?
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:40 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 am BIBLICAL SUFFIXES

Meaning "God" in Hebrew, these 3 letters come at the end of the names of 6 Old Testament books in the King James Bible, including the shortest and longest by word count.
Spoiler
Spoiler
You left out "the names of," no?
Haha whoops, that's what I get for trying to cut for length. Fixed now
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

WORLD CAPITALS

Its last recorded snowfall was July 13, 1930, making the field muddy for the first match of the first FIFA World Cup.
Spoiler
What is Montevideo?
Golf

Post by Golf »

That’s not a geography question, it’s a sports question. If you don’t know your World Cup hosts/winners, you’ve got zero chance.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Golf wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:45 pm That’s not a geography question, it’s a sports question. If you don’t know your World Cup hosts/winners, you’ve got zero chance.
If it were some random WC, I'd agree with you. But I'd argue the first WC is more notable and worthy of knowing what country hosted it. Once you know the country, it becomes a capital question.
Golf

Post by Golf »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 am
Golf wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:45 pm That’s not a geography question, it’s a sports question. If you don’t know your World Cup hosts/winners, you’ve got zero chance.
If it were some random WC, I'd agree with you. But I'd argue the first WC is more notable and worthy of knowing what country hosted it. Once you know the country, it becomes a capital question.
We can agree to disagree. But a person can know every single national capital backwards and forwards and have next to zero chance of answering this “world capital” clue correctly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 am
mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 am
We can agree to disagree. But a person can know every single national capital backwards and forwards and have next to zero chance of answering this “world capital” clue correctly.
While you're agreeing to disagree, I'd like to pop in and disagree with you too!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

ROMAN NUMERALS

Of all the years from 1 AD to present, its Roman numeral representation contains the most letters.
Spoiler
What is 1888?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:01 am ROMAN NUMERALS

Of all the years from 1 AD to present, its Roman numeral representation contains the most letters.
Spoiler
What is 1888?
missed it by one...
Spoiler
Literally: I forgot the '1' :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mujason

Post by mujason »

HISTORICAL YEARS

It's the only year to have the death of a sitting U.S. President and a reigning British monarch.

Hint:
Spoiler
William McKinley and Queen Victoria
Spoiler
-Jason
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mujason wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 pm HISTORICAL YEARS

It's the only year to have the death of a sitting U.S. President and a reigning British monarch.

Hint:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Heck, she was Queen for the deaths of the first FIVE US Presidents to die in office!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:18 pm
mujason wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 pm HISTORICAL YEARS

Hint:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Heck, she was Queen for the deaths of the first FIVE US Presidents to die in office!
Not quite; she missed the fifth by several months.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:38 pm Not quite; she missed the fifth by several months.
Oops.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

WORLD LEADERS

The first and second Presidents of Indonesia went by similar one-word names which shared this many letters in common.
Spoiler
What is 5?

HEALTH & MEDICINE

Frequently in the news today, monomer antibodies contain two paratopes and are commonly described as being shaped like this letter of the alphabet.
Spoiler
What is Y?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:43 am WORLD LEADERS

The first and second Presidents of Indonesia went by similar one-word names which shared this many letters in common.
Spoiler
What is 5?

HEALTH & MEDICINE

Frequently in the news today, monomer antibodies contain two paratopes and are commonly described as being shaped like this letter of the alphabet.
Spoiler
What is Y?
I was able to get the first one, the letters in question are, I believe
Spoiler
s, u, a, r, and o
. But on the second I went the wrong way on Marktiple choice between
Spoiler
H and Y