Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by heppm01 »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 am CHRISTMAS SONGS

This person recorded a demo of his Christmas song at the St. Regis hotel in New York City in 1971; 9 years later, within two miles of the hotel, he made national news.
Spoiler
Who is John Lennon?
Spoiler
I knew exactly what event you are speaking of and said to myself "Hmmm, I didn't realized Mark David Chapman recorded a Christmas song demo". D'oh!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 am CHRISTMAS SONGS

This person recorded a demo of his Christmas song at the St. Regis hotel in New York City in 1971; 9 years later, within two miles of the hotel, he made national news.
Spoiler
Who is John Lennon?
Spoiler
I said Mark David Chapman, since he's really the one who "made" the news... I absolutely missed the forest for the trees on this one.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

LITERARY REFERENCES

The title of Salman Rushdie's novel "Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights" alludes to a period of time most associated with this woman
Spoiler
Who is Scheherazade? (1001 Nights)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

OSCAR-WINNING FILMS

This 9-word opening line from a Best Picture Oscar winner in the 1960s refers to an geographical feature seen on screen, and includes the title of the movie.

After you come up with a response, just check...
Spoiler
...did you give the LINE, and not the title of the movie?
If you want the exact year:
Spoiler
1965 (For clarity: honored at a ceremony in 1966 for films released in 1965).
Response:
Spoiler
What is "The hills are alive with the sound of music?"
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Definitely gettable, but a lot to process and a lot to write in 30 seconds.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:14 am Definitely gettable, but a lot to process and a lot to write in 30 seconds.
It took me a few seconds of elimination to figure out what the answer must be - plus counting the nine words just to be sure. I would've been scribbling away as fast as I could.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Magna wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:12 am
Foretopman wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:14 am Definitely gettable, but a lot to process and a lot to write in 30 seconds.
It took me a few seconds of elimination to figure out what the answer must be - plus counting the nine words just to be sure. I would've been scribbling away as fast as I could.
Very reasonable critique....in fact, when I think of it, there literally might not be enough room on the FJ! screen for all 9 words! (Or, 11 words including the perfunctory "What is...") I wanted to invert the clue, which was inspired by the recent "Ten-hut, be seated" FJ! - but this time, asking for the line instead of the movie. Perhaps for a real FJ!, switch it to this...
Spoiler
These are the first four words of a Best Picture Oscar winner in the 1960s, referring to a geographical feature seen on-screen - the title of the movie comes soon after.

As much as I like WECIB clues, I also like clues that have something analogous to error-correction and make you feel confident of the right answer. If you stumble on "The hills are alive with the sound of music", you can write it with confidence. I actually think the writers don't like this, and for a good reason - ideally, they would love every contestant to be exactly 50% confident of their answer when they write it down. Hence the clue about Barbra Streisand having 30+ #1 albums since 1963 - it makes sense, and is the most logical guess, but few people are going to be 100% sure.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

U.S. CITIES

It's the most populous city named after a U.S. President.
Spoiler
What is Jacksonville?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:01 pm U.S. CITIES

Spoiler
What is Jacksonville?
Spoiler
great little factoid, but the -ville suffix makes it a tough find if you try to run the short list of (sarcasm warning) white male presidents . Also, Jackson is a pretty common name and there's probably a lot of other towns named after other Jacksons. I did not know that the Florida city was named after Andrew J. And, TIL by the power of Wiki, there's also the most populous city in Mississippi (95th overall) also named after Old Hickory. And, even if you are considering Jacksonville, you have to shake off the Washington (DC) negbait which is 24th largest city which is 12 notches below Jacksonville.
I did say I love this question. It may come off better as a multiple choice WWBAM question, but I'm anxious to hear how other boardies do with it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:28 am
Spoiler
I loved the question as well, though I fell for the Washington negbait (after also briefly considering Lincoln, NE).

I believe the world's largest city named for a US president is Monrovia, Liberia.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

(Credit to Tom's Tough Trivia on Facebook)

STUPID CHRISTMAS ANSWERS

In the original version of "Do They Know It's Christmas" from 1984, he sings the line, "Where the only water flowing
Is the bitter sting of tears"
Spoiler
Who is Sting?
davey

Post by davey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:00 am (Credit to Tom's Tough Trivia on Facebook)

STUPID CHRISTMAS ANSWERS

In the original version of "Do They Know It's Christmas" from 1984, he sings the line, "Where the only water flowing
Spoiler
Who is Sting?
A tangential question...
Spoiler
When did Stupid Answers become about repeating the right word from the clue? That was definitely the idea for the most recent version on the show (which I didn't find so easy), but it seems to me the concept was different in the beginning...Or have I been missing the point all along?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:30 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:00 am (Credit to Tom's Tough Trivia on Facebook)

STUPID CHRISTMAS ANSWERS

Spoiler
Who is Sting?
A tangential question...
Spoiler
When did Stupid Answers become about repeating the right word from the clue? That was definitely the idea for the most recent version on the show (which I didn't find so easy), but it seems to me the concept was different in the beginning...Or have I been missing the point all along?
A quick search shows that it pretty much was always that way (or something very close), but there were a few other types thrown in:

#531, aired 1986-12-22 STUPID ANSWERS $400: Reason men do not tend to marry their widows' sisters
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Spoiler
What is Jacksonville?
Spoiler
I'll admit, I'm biased, because I "fell" for Washington, D.C. - I knew it had to be wrong, but I couldn't come up with anything else. I might burn off Washington D.C. as an answer - you could do it by either directly referencing Washington, D.C., or perhaps something like "This state has the most populous city named after a U.S. President", thus disqualifying Washington, D.C. Or ask for "The two most populous cities".

A great question idea, but I think if it boils down to "Which is more populous: Jacksonville, or Washington, D.C.?", it's bordering on trivial. But then again, this is literally a trivia game. And I guess the TOM would be that the city of Washington D.C. is fairly small in area.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Spoiler
What is Jacksonville?
Spoiler
I'll admit, I'm biased, because I "fell" for Washington, D.C. - I knew it had to be wrong, but I couldn't come up with anything else. I might burn off Washington D.C. as an answer - you could do it by either directly referencing Washington, D.C., or perhaps something like "This state has the most populous city named after a U.S. President", thus disqualifying Washington, D.C. Or ask for "The two most populous cities".

A great question idea, but I think if it boils down to "Which is more populous: Jacksonville, or Washington, D.C.?", it's bordering on trivial. But then again, this is literally a trivia game. And I guess the TOM would be that the city of Washington D.C. is fairly small in area.
Spoiler
Another pathway might be to segue to NFL cities, which leaves the Washington negbait in there but would take some time to mentally run the list. Jacksonville is going to be obscure to non-sports types, and not on the short list for NFL fans, Minshewmania not withstanding. I am still flabbergasted that Jacksonville isn't older than Andrew Jackson give or take a century.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Alex: And today's Final Jeopardy! category is...

*J! double-ping plays*

REDACTED CLASSIC JEOPARDY! CATEGORY

Alex: Oh, this is a tricky one. Today, we're actually not going to give you the category before making your wagers, but it IS a classic Jeopardy! category. Good luck!

*Commercial break*

Clue: Since the spring of 2019, road signs with these 3 words on them have been stolen at least three times in the town of Wellesley, Massachusetts, despite the old signs being replaced with new ones.

Alex: Okay, this was a bit of a strange one, but we can now reveal the category, and it's...
Spoiler
STUPID ANSWERS
And the correct response is...
Spoiler
What is Old Town Road?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

How is that category
Spoiler
Stupid Answers? The three words aren't in the clue in order.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:22 pm Alex: And today's Final Jeopardy! category is...

*J! double-ping plays*

Alex: Oh, this is a tricky one. Today, we're actually not going to give you the category before making your wagers, but it IS a classic Jeopardy! category. Good luck!

*Commercial break*

Clue: Since the spring of 2019, road signs with these 3 words on them have been stolen at least three times in the town of Wellesley, Massachusetts, despite the old signs being replaced with new ones.

Alex: Okay, this was a bit of a strange one, but we can now reveal the category, and it's...
Spoiler
STUPID ANSWERS
Spoiler
What is Old Town Road?
Spoiler
This is a coincidence, right? The name has nothing to do with the hit song or Lil Nas X? So I don't see how anyone who hadn't seen the story would get it. The category name wouldn't make it much easier...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:18 am
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:22 pm Alex: And today's Final Jeopardy! category is...

*J! double-ping plays*

*Commercial break*

Spoiler
STUPID ANSWERS
Spoiler
What is Old Town Road?
Spoiler
This is a coincidence, right? The name has nothing to do with the hit song or Lil Nas X? So I don't see how anyone who hadn't seen the story would get it. The category name wouldn't make it much easier...
No, they are stealing them because of the popularity of the song, that's why it began this spring. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/us/l ... signs.html

But I'm not sure anyone is going to put that together and solve this, even if the category was revealed ahead of time, unless they happen to have seen this story.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I don't like this for Final Jeopardy! but would be a fun pub quiz question, something like...
Spoiler
In Wellesley, Massachusetts, a particular street sign became a popular target for thieves beginning in spring 2019. 6 signs were stolen before the city stopped replacing them. At least it wasn't stolen 19 weeks in a row, that would be a record! Name that street.