Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

MOVIE TITLE PUNCTUATION

Of the 1989 films grossing over $20 million in theaters, one of two whose titles ends in an ellipsis.
Spoiler
What is (one of) When Harry Met Sally... or Say Anything...?
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

UK PARLIAMENT

Stuart Andrew performed this traditional role in both State Openings in 2019--a nod to Civil War-era tensions
Spoiler
What is a hostage?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:02 pm UK PARLIAMENT

Stuart Andrew performed this traditional role in both State Openings in 2019--a nod to Civil War-era tensions
Spoiler
What is a hostage?
I know all the words, but I have no clue what this clue is referring to. Revealing the correct response doesn't help at all. Makes me feel even more clueless if anything.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:53 pm MOVIE TITLE PUNCTUATION

Of the 1989 films grossing over $20 million in theaters, one of two whose titles ends in an ellipsis.
Spoiler
What is (one of) When Harry Met Sally... or Say Anything...?
I got one. Had no idea about the other. IMDB retains the ellipsis for the first one, but not the second. For the second it does allow that the title with an ellipsis was the "original title". Not sure when the change took place. The Trivia section on IMDB doesn't address the issue and the "Alternate Versions" section is grayed out. The movie poster they chose does have the ellipsis and I think it's the standard poster from the movie's release. Interesting.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

U.S. GEOGRAPHY

It has the longest dimension of any state east of the Mississippi; its two most distant points are 599 miles apart from each other.
Spoiler
What is Florida? (NW corner and Rodriguez Key).

I got into this thinking it was going to be Michigan, but Isle Royale and the SE corner are only 510 miles apart. NC is a sneaky contender, with a little over 500 miles separating the SW corner from the Outer Banks. As long as Long Island is, NY isn't even close.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:43 pm U.S. GEOGRAPHY

It has the longest dimension of any state east of the Mississippi; its two most distant points are 599 miles apart from each other.
Spoiler
What is Florida? (NW corner and Rodriguez Key).

I got into this thinking it was going to be Michigan, but Isle Royale and the SE corner are only 510 miles apart. NC is a sneaky contender, with a little over 500 miles separating the SW corner from the Outer Banks. As long as Long Island is, NY isn't even close.
This feels like the sort of clue where ignorance is bliss. I just named what felt like the sprawliest eastern state and got it right.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This company is the world's largest tire manufacturer by number of units produced.
Spoiler
What is Lego?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:11 am This company is the world's largest tire manufacturer by number of units produced.
Spoiler
What is Lego?
Spoiler
I dunno, I wouldn't call a Lego tire a "tire". By the same logic, you could call them the world's largest manufacturer of human heads.

Besides, a Lego tire does not fit this definition:

a rubber covering, typically inflated or surrounding an inflated inner tube, placed around a wheel to form a flexible contact with the road.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:34 am
alietr wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:11 am This company is the world's largest tire manufacturer by number of units produced.
Spoiler
What is Lego?
Spoiler
I dunno, I wouldn't call a Lego tire a "tire". By the same logic, you could call them the world's largest manufacturer of human heads.

a rubber covering, typically inflated or surrounding an inflated inner tube, placed around a wheel to form a flexible contact with the road.
Spoiler
Most Lego tires do, in fact, meet that definition albeit usually made out of plastic not rubber and not needing inflation. https://www.safelite.com/resource-cente ... nufacturer
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:45 am
mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:34 am
Spoiler
What is Lego?
Spoiler

Spoiler
Most Lego tires do, in fact, meet that definition albeit usually made out of plastic not rubber and not needing inflation. https://www.safelite.com/resource-cente ... nufacturer
Spoiler
Well in any event, you could pin it/remove controversy by saying "The Guinness World Record holder..." That would make it an indisputable fact, if nothing else.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

WORD ORIGINS

This word entered the English lexicon with the 1798 publication of a scientific breakthrough that was made, in part, on a dairy farm.
Spoiler
What is 'vaccine'? (vacca is Latin for 'cow')
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:57 am WORD ORIGINS

This word entered the English lexicon with the 1798 publication of a scientific breakthrough that was made, in part, on a dairy farm.
Spoiler
What is 'vaccine'? (vacca is Latin for 'cow')
Spoiler
Nice clue, especially since I got it wrong AND the answer was obvious to me afterwards. My favorite kind. I guess my brain not working, and I was too impatient and just pulled the trigger. I really did know this one cold, and could have easily given the etymology of the "vaccine" (as well as the story of the milkmaids who were immune from smallpox behind it). Going the other way, though, I was about a century ahead of this, and went with pasteurization. Also, the relevant setting would more likely have been an orchard, and not a dairy farm.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

THE OLYMPIC GAMES

This city hosted the most recent Olympiad to take place in a country that no longer exists.
Spoiler
What is Sarajevo?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:45 pm THE OLYMPIC GAMES

This city hosted the most recent Olympiad to take place in a country that no longer exists.
Spoiler
What is Sarajevo?
Spoiler
It was the second straight Olympics to be held in a now defunct country.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

According to 2019 U.S. Census estimates, this city is the most populous city that is not the most populous city in its state.
Spoiler
What is San Antonio? (behind Houston)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:47 pm According to 2019 U.S. Census estimates, this city is the most populous city that is not the most populous city in its state.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Okay...now how do we find a subtle way to rule out Dallas cause it wasn't until the last decade that SA overtook it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:47 pm According to 2019 U.S. Census estimates, this city is the most populous city that is not the most populous city in its state.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Okay...now how do we find a subtle way to rule out Dallas cause it wasn't until the last decade that SA overtook it...
Spoiler
More like the last two decades from what I can tell. I'd guess San Antonio was larger by 2001 or 2002. Not that it matters since Dallas hasn't had a larger population than San Diego since the 1980s. So the real question may be how to rule out San Diego.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

ANAGRAMS

All currently in circulation, they're the three units of currency seen here:

Spoiler
What are lira, rial, and lari? (from Turkey, Oman, and Georgia, respectively)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:21 pm ANAGRAMS

Spoiler
Spoiler
I like it but never in a billion years could have told you the name of the third currency, even if spotted the country. I don't see any instances of it in the Archive either. I'd stick with the first two to keep the difficulty within reach.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:21 pm ANAGRAMS

Spoiler
Spoiler
I like it but never in a billion years could have told you the name of the third currency, even if spotted the country. I don't see any instances of it in the Archive either. I'd stick with the first two to keep the difficulty within reach.
Spoiler
Yeah, I had no problem with the first as soon as I saw "Turkice," and from there knowing it was an anagram it was no trouble getting to "rial," but couldn't come up with the third and I've been to Georgia