Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

WORD ORIGINS

Now meaning anything overused, this word originally referred to the London borough in which the most common riding horses were bred in the 14th Century.
Spoiler
What is hackney(ed)?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:16 pm WORD ORIGINS

Now meaning anything overused, this word originally referred to the London borough in which the most common riding horses were bred in the 14th Century.
Spoiler
What is hackney(ed)?
Did not know this fact but there was enough in the clue to get me to the right place. This is the kind of FJ that I'd get on some days and miss on others. Just depends on where the mind is wandering that day.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

TV CHARACTERS

Jürgen Klopp and Kansas teacher Donnie Campbell have been credited as inspirations for this character first featured in a 2013 promotional skit.
Spoiler
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MEMES

Cheers for this race car driver have become popular after reporter Kelli Stavast misheard Joe Biden vulgarities as cheers for him.
Spoiler
Who is Brandon Brown
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

NFL TEAMS

As its name would suggest, this is the only NFL squad that is the most supported team in every county in at least three states, according to a study by SeatGeek.
Spoiler
What are the New England Patriots?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Category: Fast Food

In 2012, having not sold even one hamburger after being in this country for 16 years, McDonald's announced it was opening its first all-vegetarian restaurant.
Spoiler
India
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm having not sold even one hamburger after being in this country for 16 years
What's the story behind this? Did they never offer hamburgers on the menu? In any country with American tourists, there are bound to be American McDonald's customers who will order hamburgers either out of curiosity ("I wonder if it's any different!") or queasiness with unfamiliar local food.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:12 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm having not sold even one hamburger after being in this country for 16 years
What's the story behind this? Did they never offer hamburgers on the menu? In any country with American tourists, there are bound to be American McDonald's customers who will order hamburgers either out of curiosity ("I wonder if it's any different!") or queasiness with unfamiliar local food.
They've never had beef on the menu, so you couldn't order a 'hamburger' in the traditional sense. There's chicken, paneer, veggie, but no beef.
I like it, but it does rely on the 'beef = hamburger' association too much to be a strong pin.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:28 pm
They've never had beef on the menu, so you couldn't order a 'hamburger' in the traditional sense. There's chicken, paneer, veggie, but no beef.
I like it, but it does rely on the 'beef = hamburger' association too much to be a strong pin.
What if I changed it to “signature hamburger”?

WTA: I just looked at the menu, “hamburger” is not on there, but “burger” is.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm

I'm sure there's something. I was thinking 'Big Mac' or 'Quarter Pounder' but those, weirdly, are even weaker, given translations. (Quarter pounder, especially, would suffer from Pulp Fiction misdirection)

Somehow it comes down to pinning in to 'beef' but without explicitly saying 'beef' (because we can't make it -that- easy)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm

I'm sure there's something. I was thinking 'Big Mac' or 'Quarter Pounder' but those, weirdly, are even weaker, given translations. (Quarter pounder, especially, would suffer from Pulp Fiction misdirection)

Somehow it comes down to pinning in to 'beef' but without explicitly saying 'beef' (because we can't make it -that- easy)
I think it’s fine as is, but I guess we’ll see what others think. I thought the lack of that on the menu was well known, but maybe not.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 pm I think it’s fine as is, but I guess we’ll see what others think. I thought the lack of that on the menu was well known, but maybe not.
I thought it was well known, too. It's not like you can go and chop up a cow over there. You'd have your restaurant burned down.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

VEGETABLES

In the US, this vegetable is most commonly available in a color chosen by 17th-century farmers as a tribute to a leading Ducth revolutionary
Spoiler
What is a carrot?
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 pm VEGETABLES

In the US, this vegetable is most commonly available in a color chosen by 17th-century farmers as a tribute to a leading Ducth revolutionary
Spoiler
What is a carrot?
I think you have to attribute that story to lore...
Spoiler
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

ISLANDS

Features of this island include Grotta Rossa, Grotta Bianca, and Grotta Verde.
Spoiler
What is Capri?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CONTINENTS

Of the 24 countries in the world with coastline on two or more oceans, 10 are located on this continent
Spoiler
What is North America?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:48 am CONTINENTS

Of the 24 countries in the world with coastline on two or more oceans, 10 are located on this continent
Spoiler
What is North America?
How I got this one wrong:
Because I'm an idiot
I thought, well, Central America definitely has several. And then if you add Colombia and Chile, that might be enough, so... What is South America? Boom. Final answer.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:18 pm

Spoiler
What is North America?
Because I'm an idiot
I thought, well, Central America definitely has several. And then if you add Colombia and Chile, that might be enough, so... What is South America? Boom. Final answer.
Is this true? I only count 8. Which am I missing?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:29 pm

Spoiler
What is North America?
Because I'm an idiot
Spoiler
The United States and Canada.

Seriously, I agree. There are only 8. Some might claim enough wiggle room in the clue to allow for Denmark via Greenland. Even conceding that (which I don't) we're still one shy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:29 pm

Spoiler
What is North America?
Because I'm an idiot
I get 9:
US -- Atl, Pac, Arc
Canada -- Atl, Pac, Arc
Mexico -- Atl, Pac
Greenland (Denmark) -- Atl, Arc
Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua -- Atl, Pac

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ore_oceans