Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

THE CABINET

The longest serving Secretaries of Labor, the Interior, and State were all sworn into office in this year.
Spoiler
What is 1933?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

AMERICAN BUSINESS

One founded in 1997 and worth nearly $200 billion in 2020, the other now down to one location, these two companies relied on different methods to distribute the same product.
Spoiler
What are Netflix and Blockbuster?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm AMERICAN BUSINESS

One founded in 1997 and worth nearly $200 billion in 2020, the other now down to one location, these two companies relied on different methods to distribute the same product.
Spoiler
Nice!
Spoiler
Plenty of time to sort through my thoughts and get there. For "founded in 1997", I thought Amazon at first, remembering that's when they had their IPO. (They were actually founded in 1994 and are worth $1.7 trillion. It's Jeff Bezos who's worth nearly $200 billion.) The second company was obviously Blockbuster, so I wondered if you were pulling a fast one since Amazon does distribute movie recordings via mail and streaming as part of their business. But I knew you wouldn't be that lame, so I kept thinking and realized Netflix was the perfect counterpart to Blockbuster. Too bad there's no room in the clue to mention that in 2000 the $200 billion company offered to sell itself to the now one-location company for $50 million.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Spoiler
You're absolutely right. I started with the fact that one almost acquired the other, but eventually couldn't fit it and felt the clue was already getting wordy.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
mujason

Post by mujason »

NUMBER ONE PERFORMERS

This artist topped the Billboard Hot 100 in 2008 and 2010 with songs that contained the lyrics "a thief in the night."

Hint with the song titles:
Spoiler
"Disturbia" and "Only Girl (In the World)"
The correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Rihanna?
-Jason
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

U.S. STATES

It's the only state that borders three of the four states that are commonwealths.
Spoiler
What is West Virginia?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 pm U.S. STATES

It's the only state that borders three of the four states that are commonwealths.
Spoiler
What is West Virginia?
From 1803-1863, "What is Ohio?" would've been the correct response.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spoiler
What is West Virginia?
Good one! I got it, but I suspect it's on the tough side. A TS in regular play wouldn't surprise me. Maybe TOC level.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 pm

Spoiler
What is West Virginia?
Good one! I got it, but I suspect it's on the tough side. A TS in regular play wouldn't surprise me. Maybe TOC level.
The show has used the 4 commonwealths as subject matter without naming them several times; as regular clues, daily doubles, and finals.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm AMERICAN BUSINESS

Spoiler
Spoiler
I have no idea why "one location" for me is a Pavlov for Blockbuster, but it is. As someone here is fond of saying, it could literally be anything. But once I got that down, Netflix was pretty easy - if asked to guess, I would have thought Netflix started with their mail-order DVD queue service around 1999, but 2 years wouldn't be that far off, especially when going from "founding" to "being popular enough that I'd have heard about it".
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

EUROPEAN HISTORY

William the Conqueror's half-brother Odo was the bishop of this town that was later the first one liberated by the Allies after the D-Day invasion
Spoiler
What is Bayeux?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:50 pm EUROPEAN HISTORY

William the Conqueror's half-brother Odo was the bishop of this town that was later the first one liberated by the Allies after the D-Day invasion
Spoiler
What is Bayeux?
Nuts. I missed with Deepspacenine.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

6-SYLLABLE WORDS

The only US state capital whose name fits the category.
Spoiler
What is Indianapolis?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:30 am 6-SYLLABLE WORDS

Spoiler
What is Indianapolis?
I hate these. I almost never get to the right place in time, even though I have the necessary information in my head. This one was no exception. Took over two minutes. It's a good clue and the sort they might use. I'm just saying I'd groan and then flail if it came up.
Spoiler
There's a strong inclination, for me anyway, to start with capitals that end in "City" since that's a two-syllable bonus right there. But that only got me up to 5 syllables with Jefferson City and it ate away most of my time. If only I'd then thought to switch to "city" in a different language.... :D
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:20 pm

Spoiler
What is Indianapolis?
I hate these. I almost never get to the right place in time, even though I have the necessary information in my head. This one was no exception. Took over two minutes. It's a good clue and the sort they might use. I'm just saying I'd groan and then flail if it came up.
Spoiler
There's a strong inclination, for me anyway, to start with capitals that end in "City" since that's a two-syllable bonus right there. But that only got me up to 5 syllables with Jefferson City and it ate away most of my time. If only I'd then thought to switch to "city" in a different language.... :D
Sounds like you have the same yips I do with the "it can mean X or Y" clues in regular gameplay. I am not great at those, even though I am not usually missing the info in my knowledge base. I need to set aside time to practice those vs. trying to stuff more info into my brain.
Spoiler
With this one, "City" as part of the name doesn't help you, since there has to be one word with 6 syllables. For anything state capitals, I pick a side of the country and start scanning in my brain for the right answer. How many people could get this in 30 seconds, I'm not sure. Luckily, Indianapolis is in the middle, so whether you start east or west, if you're just looking for a long word, hopefully that approach would pan out.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spoiler
What is Indianapolis?
Spoiler
Two words, but there is Oklahoma City at 6 syllables.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:33 pm

Spoiler
What is Indianapolis?
Spoiler
Two words, but there is Oklahoma City at 6 syllables.
So not only was I wasting my time not paying attention to the category, I couldn't get to the answer that would have worked given my faulty search terms. I'm telling you, these kinds of clues set off a mental panic and I can't get any productive thinking done.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

AFRICAN-AMERICAN ACTORS

His over 150 films have the highest combined worldwide box-office gross of any actor.
Spoiler
Who is Samuel L. Jackson? (and it's not even close...appearing in a bunch of MCU + Star Wars + Quentin Tarantino movies will do that)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

STREET NAMES

Name of a road running from Chester Ave to 135th St in Kansas City, and of an avenue also known as US 71 in Texarkana.
Spoiler
What is State Line?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:34 am STREET NAMES

Name of a road running from Chester Ave to 135th St in Kansas City, and of an avenue also known as US 71 in Texarkana.
Spoiler
What is State Line?
I got it because I live here, but I'd predict a low get rate without a lot more TOM.
Spoiler
Also, I wonder about saying it's "in" Kansas City. At least according to Google Maps, the actual state line runs down the middle of the road. So the east side is in KCMO but west side is in KCK or Westwood or Mission Hills or Prairie Village or Leawood depending on how far south you are.