Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?
I think you've got two separate very good clues there. The unspoilered part stands on its own as a clue and is quite gettable. (Maybe "18th and 19th century opera character" would be better than "fictional Spanish barber". I don't know. )

For wording on the other clue, maybe:
Spoiler
This Billboard Hot 100 song hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
That's a tough one and I probably wouldn't get it, but all the necessary info is there. If someone can think of a TOM that doesn't just give the game away, that might help.
Going with that...

This song hit the Billboard Hot 100 peaking at #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992 because of a movie, and #33 in 2018 because of another movie.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:07 am I can't find exact numbers or verification but it is tease-out-able so this is kind of a "just for fun" trivia question:

This division I college football team has been accused of unfairly benefiting from its average player age consistently being much older than other schools.
Spoiler
What is BYU?

BYU does not release player birthdate information so this cannot be proved one way or the other but it is an oft discussed topic in college football circles.
Spoiler
Not a college football fan, had never heard about the "older player" concern, and didn't know for sure that BYU had division I football, but still got it because WECIB with the Mormon missions. If you wanted to make this a real FJ! question, I guess the easiest way would be to find some quote. For example:

Kelvin Sulmin said about this college's Division I Football team: "There will be some older guys."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 am
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:07 am I can't find exact numbers or verification but it is tease-out-able so this is kind of a "just for fun" trivia question:

This division I college football team has been accused of unfairly benefiting from its average player age consistently being much older than other schools.
Spoiler
What is BYU?

BYU does not release player birthdate information so this cannot be proved one way or the other but it is an oft discussed topic in college football circles.
Spoiler
Not a college football fan, had never heard about the "older player" concern, and didn't know for sure that BYU had division I football, but still got it because WECIB with the Mormon missions. If you wanted to make this a real FJ! question, I guess the easiest way would be to find some quote. For example:

Kelvin Sulmin said about this college's Division I Football team: "There will be some older guys."
Spoiler
who is kelvin sulmin and why is that person necessary for this clue?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Spoiler
What is BYU?

Spoiler

Spoiler
oh you mean kevin sumlin...still don't think he is necessary because it isn't going to help anyone solve the clue unless they are die hard uni of arizona fans
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:47 am

Spoiler
What is BYU?

Spoiler

Spoiler
oh you mean kevin sumlin...still don't think he is necessary because it isn't going to help anyone solve the clue unless they are die hard uni of arizona fans
Spoiler
The purpose was to "pin" the clue down without having to calculate the exact average age of the BYU team versus every other Division I team. If you're quoting someone, you don't have to prove that they're the oldest - just that they have the PERCEPTION of being the oldest team. And, honestly, I have no clue who Kelvin Sumlin is - I just googled someone for a quote about BYU being an old team, and found that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 am Going with that...

This song hit the Billboard Hot 100 peaking at #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992 because of a movie, and #33 in 2018 because of another movie.
I like it! Mentioning the movies is just the right amount of TOM to point us in the correct direction without giving the whole thing away. I predict this clue would break a little tough on our weekly poll but produce a lot of forehead slaps. Almost everyone would agree it was solvable even if they didn't solve it. And those who didn't find it solvable would mostly admit this is a nightmare category for them.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

ROMAN EMPERORS

Add an "I" to a word meaning the yolk of an egg and you get the name of this Roman Emperor.
Spoiler
Who is Vitellius?(From Vitellus.)
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

20TH CENTURY SATIRE

In a stand-up routine, George Carlin jokingly said that the government told this person, "Well, if you won't kill people, we won't let you beat 'em up."
Spoiler
Who is Muhammad Ali?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:47 am

Spoiler
What is BYU?

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
The purpose was to "pin" the clue down without having to calculate the exact average age of the BYU team versus every other Division I team. If you're quoting someone, you don't have to prove that they're the oldest - just that they have the PERCEPTION of being the oldest team. And, honestly, I have no clue who Kelvin Sumlin is - I just googled someone for a quote about BYU being an old team, and found that.
Spoiler
i know who kevin sumlin is...no idea who kelvin sulmin is though...sumlin is a pos head coach that left uni of houston for "the big leagues" when he went to texas a&m and crapped the bed...now he is at uni of arizona and doing an equally wretched job
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 pm Category: Stupid Answers

Over 5,000 citizens of the United States have this unique name
Spoiler
unique
Recently posted on the Futility Closet blog:

Three ships of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Unique.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:33 am
triviawayne wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 pm Category: Stupid Answers

Over 5,000 citizens of the United States have this unique name
Spoiler
unique
Recently posted on the Futility Closet blog:

Three ships of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Unique.
Category: MONTY PYTHON'S LIFE OF BRIAN
Clue: When Brian tells the crowd they are all individuals, they respond, "We are all individuals" except for one man who says this.
Spoiler
I'm not!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This organization consisting of enthusiasts of a particular mode of transportation was banned in the Netherlands in 2019.
Spoiler
What is Hell's Angels?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm This organization consisting of enthusiasts of a particular mode of transportation was banned in the Netherlands in 2019.
Spoiler
What is Hell's Angels?
Spoiler
Hells. No apostrophe.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

AMERICANA

Last name of the illustrator known for works like the one seen here; it sounds like something depicted in the image

Spoiler
What is Flagg? (James Montgomery Flagg, famous for his Uncle Sam poster)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

AFRICAN CAPITALS

Streets in this city include Calle 3 de Agosto and Avenida Hassan II
Spoiler
What is Malabo? (Equatorial Guinea is the only Spanish-speaking country in Africa)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 am AFRICAN CAPITALS

Spoiler
What is Malabo? (Equatorial Guinea is the only Spanish-speaking country in Africa)
Spoiler
what is the significance of those streets?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:22 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Creo que la idea es que las palabras "Calle", "Agosto", y "Avenida" son de espanol.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Creo que la idea es que las palabras "Calle", "Agosto", y "Avenida" son de espanol.
Spoiler
Bingo. I could have used any streets (or anything else) as long as there was TOM to get you to Spanish.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:09 am
talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Bingo. I could have used any streets (or anything else) as long as there was TOM to get you to Spanish.
Spoiler
Consider at least one different street. I was wracking my brain trying think of what and where something important happened on August 3.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

A more straightforward one that draws on the same trivia fact:

AFRICAN COUNTRIES

Its motto is "Unidad, Paz, Justicia"
Spoiler
What is Equatorial Guinea?