Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by talkingaway »

NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are exact synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
Last edited by talkingaway on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:58 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 am If the former, Tellurium qualifies.
Pretty sure that was named after Edwurd Tellur.
Hur dee hur hur.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
I had
Spoiler
Sharks and Predators
I will concede it's not as clear cut but could be enough reasonable doubt...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:25 pm

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
Pair 2:
Spoiler

I had
Spoiler
Sharks and Predators
Spoiler
To me, that’s like saying green is a synonym of color. A shark is a type of predator, but not the only one. Plus, there’s panthers, Bruins, Coyotes, ...and they’re all also Wild.

But I’ll tinker with it and add “exact”.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:25 pm

Pair 1:
Spoiler
Pair 2:
Spoiler

I had
Spoiler
Sharks and Predators
Spoiler
To me, that’s like saying green is a synonym of color. A shark is a type of predator, but not the only one. Plus, there’s panthers, Bruins, Coyotes, ...and they’re all also Wild.

But I’ll tinker with it and add “exact”.
Pinning is important...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are exact synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
Pair 2:
Spoiler

What are the Blues and the Sadness?
davey

Post by davey »

Pair 1:
Spoiler
Pair 2:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Aren't fliers the people who travel in jets? Or alternatively, sleds...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Pair 1:
Spoiler
Pair 2:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Aren't fliers the people who travel in jets? Or alternatively, sleds...
Y'know, I'm hating this question now that I think about it. Nevermind. The first pair has been running around my head as a potential question for weeks, but when looking at all the names, the second pair interfered.
Spoiler
I attempted to source it via looking up flyer/jet on thesaurus.com, which is a terrible reference because it had "jet" as a synonym for "flier", but not vice versa.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Pair 1:
Spoiler
Pair 2:
Spoiler

What are the Blues and the Sadness?
The would make it the Blues and the Red Wings.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

COLORFUL PHRASES

A Nov. 28, 1960 use of this 2-word phrase referred to “police officials forecasting record traffic jams, both vehicular and pedestrian.”
Spoiler
Black Friday
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

THE AFI TOP 100

Inspired by a Hollywood set, a restaurant by this name, near Rue Souss and Hassan II Mosque, opened in 2004.
Spoiler
]What is Rick's?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Picked Off wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:14 pm THE AFI TOP 100

Inspired by a Hollywood set, a restaurant by this name, near Rue Souss and Hassan II Mosque, opened in 2004.
Spoiler
]What is Rick's?
Spoiler
I went with The Blue Parrot as thought for an FJ that Rick's was too obvious. Once you get to the correct movie it's really a coin flip.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
Spoiler
Instaget with "pop song" and "Italian clown". Obviously, even "Italian astronomer" would have been enough, too. I literally never heard the "Figaro" in the lyrics until just now - I thought it just ping-ponged back and forth with Galileo the whole time. Figuring out the "Wayne's World" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" film connections would obviously be key.

Actually, I like just giving the "bonus" clue as the ONLY clue, but that's probably because I'm pretty good with historical/tv/musical timelines within (or just barely extending before, in this case) my own lifetime.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

Spoiler
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
Spoiler
Instaget with "pop song" and "Italian clown". Obviously, even "Italian astronomer" would have been enough, too. I literally never heard the "Figaro" in the lyrics until just now - I thought it just ping-ponged back and forth with Galileo the whole time. Figuring out the "Wayne's World" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" film connections would obviously be key.

Actually, I like just giving the "bonus" clue as the ONLY clue, but that's probably because I'm pretty good with historical/tv/musical timelines within (or just barely extending before, in this case) my own lifetime.
Spoiler
I also found the clue to be pretty quickly gettable, particularly with the recent movie still reasonably high in the public consciousness. As is, perhaps it could be a DD. Maybe pulling out some of the specifics like nationalities -- "a clown, an astronomer, and an operatic character all appear....." -- would give more need for a little think music.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm

POPULAR MUSIC

Spoiler
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
Spoiler

Spoiler
I also found the clue to be pretty quickly gettable, particularly with the recent movie still reasonably high in the public consciousness. As is, perhaps it could be a DD. Maybe pulling out some of the specifics like nationalities -- "a clown, an astronomer, and an operatic character all appear....." -- would give more need for a little think music.
Spoiler
i just might like that reduction in wordiness
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm

POPULAR MUSIC

Spoiler
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
i just might like that reduction in wordiness
(spoiler this, spoiler that, everything is a spoiler :)
Spoiler
FWIW, I didn't need all the years and billboard info, but I did need to know we aren't talking about Opera or Sonatas or something. The "Popular Songs" category might not be enough persuasion, but I can't speculate since I forgot to look at the category first.
But, I love the clue very much.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

POPULAR MUSIC

Spoiler
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
I think you've got two separate very good clues there. The unspoilered part stands on its own as a clue and is quite gettable. (Maybe "18th and 19th century opera character" would be better than "fictional Spanish barber". I don't know. )

For wording on the other clue, maybe:
Spoiler
This Billboard Hot 100 song hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
That's a tough one and I probably wouldn't get it, but all the necessary info is there. If someone can think of a TOM that doesn't just give the game away, that might help.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I can't find exact numbers or verification but it is tease-out-able so this is kind of a "just for fun" trivia question:

This division I college football team has been accused of unfairly benefiting from its average player age consistently being much older than other schools.
Spoiler
What is BYU?

BYU does not release player birthdate information so this cannot be proved one way or the other but it is an oft discussed topic in college football circles.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Historic Streaks

Duke strung together 150 straight non-conference home wins after this school "stormed" into Cameron Indoor Stadium in 2000 and beat them
Spoiler
St John's