Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 pm I think it would have been a fine FJ for Sports Jeopardy.
Worded that way? Everyone in the sports world agrees that the word "home" never refers to the state in the team's name and only and always refers to the physical location where they play? I'm not a big sports follower, but that just doesn't seem like the way the word gets consistently used. In fact, I'd say the trick of the clue relies on the fact that the word ISN'T consistently used that way.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 pm I think it would have been a fine FJ for Sports Jeopardy.
Worded that way? Everyone in the sports world agrees that the word "home" never refers to the state in the team's name and only and always refers to the physical location where they play? I'm not a big sports follower, but that just doesn't seem like the way the word gets consistently used. In fact, I'd say the trick of the clue relies on the fact that the word ISN'T consistently used that way.
Serious sports trivia players have heard variations on the NY/NJ thing many times and aren’t fooled. It would never be asked in a serious contest.

There are an infinite number of good, challenging, and interesting trivia questions to ask and answer. There’s no reason to ask questions in any topic that are ambiguous and/or flat out incorrect.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 pm
Serious sports trivia players have heard variations on the NY/NJ thing many times and aren’t fooled. It would never be asked in a serious contest.

There are an infinite number of good, challenging, and interesting trivia questions to ask and answer. There’s no reason to ask questions in any topic that are ambiguous and/or flat out incorrect.
Is there a non-wordy way of rewriting this clue to make one response unambiguously correct? I like the idea of it, though it might be a little tough for regular J!. I take it Sports J! is just a fond memory at this point. The basic knowledge being requested in the clue does seem like a good fit there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 pm Is there a non-wordy way of rewriting this clue to make one response unambiguously correct? I like the idea of it, though it might be a little tough for regular J!. I take it Sports J! is just a fond memory at this point. The basic knowledge being requested in the clue does seem like a good fit there.
How about, "The most populous state with only 1 NFL stadium within its borders"?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 pm Is there a non-wordy way of rewriting this clue to make one response unambiguously correct? I like the idea of it, though it might be a little tough for regular J!. I take it Sports J! is just a fond memory at this point. The basic knowledge being requested in the clue does seem like a good fit there.
How about, "The most populous state with only 1 NFL stadium within its borders"?
I like it!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:39 pm
econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 pm
I like it!
CURRENT NFL stadium would be needed.

IMO, the clue doesn't fit either regular or Sports Jeopardy. <10% of Jeopardy contestants will get it, >90% of Sports Jeopardy contestants will get it.

I also tend to think there's issue with Jeopardy contestants working through this clue in <30 seconds.

There's a fine art to writing good FJ clues, I think this thread is a good indicator of just how difficult it can be.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:35 pm IMO, the clue doesn't fit either regular or Sports Jeopardy. <10% of Jeopardy contestants will get it, >90% of Sports Jeopardy contestants will get it.
Interesting. I wonder if it would work as a DD on Sports Jeopardy. Either that or a TOC+ FJ on regular.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:35 pm CURRENT NFL stadium would be needed.
Why? NY has only one current or former NFL stadium within its borders (War Memorial Stadium, Old Yankee Stadium, and Shea Stadium have all been demolished), so the clue is fine as written.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

AMERICAN AUTHORS

This author commonly associated with a southern state was born in St. Louis, and she happened to die there while visiting the 1904 World's Fair
Spoiler
Who was Kate Chopin?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Category: The Olympics

This first city to have an Olympic games cancelled became the last city to host an Olympic games prior to the next cancellation of the games.
Spoiler
Berlin
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:12 pm Category: The Olympics

This first city to have an Olympic games cancelled became the last city to host an Olympic games prior to the next cancellation of the games.
Spoiler
Berlin
I got a little dizzy with the first/last Olympic games cancellation verbiage but managed to sort it out and guess the right one. Good idea for a clue!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Spoiler
Berlin
I got a little dizzy with the first/last Olympic games cancellation verbiage but managed to sort it out and guess the right one. Good idea for a clue!

Thank you. I got the idea when I noticed that happened while researching questions for something else.

If someone has an approach for better wording, I’m open to it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:58 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Spoiler
Berlin

Thank you. I got the idea when I noticed that happened while researching questions for something else.

If someone has an approach for better wording, I’m open to it.
I'll take a stab at it:

This city had been planned to host the first cancelled modern Olympiad, and hosted the last games prior to the next cancelled Olympiad.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

US PRESIDENTS

Two of the three decades between the 1730s and the 1960s in which no US presidents were born
Spoiler
What are (two of) 1810s, 1930s, and 1950s?
US PRESIDENTS

The only three presidents to be born in the same calendar year.
Spoiler
Who are Clinton, GW Bush, and Trump?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:28 pm US PRESIDENTS

Two of the three decades between the 1730s and the 1960s in which no US presidents were born
I don't see how that would be solvable in 30 seconds.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:28 pm US PRESIDENTS

I don't see how that would be solvable in 30 seconds.
Spoiler
Like lots of president clues, start at the ends. It's pretty unlikely it would require knowledge of early presidential birth years to get a solve. So start recent. 60s: Obama.
50s: Nobody! That's one. 40s: A few. 30s.... hmm, Bush and Carter were born in the 20s, so 30s must be it. Done!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

STATE CAPITALS

Other than salt, lake, and city, it's the only 4-letter English common noun that is a word in the name of a US state capital
Spoiler
What is rock?
Last edited by mas3cf on Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DIFFERENT SPORTS

Nickname shared by a one-time Grand Slam winner and a 25-time grand slam hitter
Spoiler
What is A-Rod? (Andy Roddick, Alex Rodriguez)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

The Super Bowl

It is the only city with two different stadiums to have hosted five or more Super Bowls.
Spoiler
Miami (the Orange Bowl and the stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:10 pm STATE CAPITALS

Other than salt, lake, and city, it's the only 4-letter English common noun that appears in the name of a US state capital
Spoiler
What is rock?
I think you've got to be a little more specific in your wording.
Spoiler
Sacramento, Hartford, Hartford, Honolulu, Springfield, Frankfort, Frankfort, Augusta, Jackson, Carson City, Concord, Trenton, Salem, Pierre.