Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:12 pm
davey wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:18 am
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:22 pm Alex: And today's Final Jeopardy! category is...

*J! double-ping plays*

REDACTED CLASSIC JEOPARDY! CATEGORY

Alex: Oh, this is a tricky one. Today, we're actually not going to give you the category before making your wagers, but it IS a classic Jeopardy! category. Good luck!

*Commercial break*

Clue: Since the spring of 2019, road signs with these 3 words on them have been stolen at least three times in the town of Wellesley, Massachusetts, despite the old signs being replaced with new ones.

Alex: Okay, this was a bit of a strange one, but we can now reveal the category, and it's...
Spoiler
STUPID ANSWERS
And the correct response is...
Spoiler
What is Old Town Road?
Spoiler
This is a coincidence, right? The name has nothing to do with the hit song or Lil Nas X? So I don't see how anyone who hadn't seen the story would get it. The category name wouldn't make it much easier...
No, they are stealing them because of the popularity of the song, that's why it began this spring. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/us/l ... signs.html

But I'm not sure anyone is going to put that together and solve this, even if the category was revealed ahead of time, unless they happen to have seen this story.
Spoiler
It's a coincidence that Wellesley, MA has an Old Town Road, it's not the one in the song and LIL Nas X is not from there. That's what I meant. If there was a connection that would at least offer some TOM.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I think about or come across such things is when I miss Dan Patrick in the J! studio.

SPORTS HOMES

These two non-NHL teams that both played 2019 home games in venues that included the word "Coliseum", will each be playing home games in new facilities next season.
Spoiler
Los Angeles Rams & Oakland Raiders
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Not a final, but since this is where we are putting our homemade questions.

This one is dumb, but it came to mind and I was hoping to find a way to word it so it might not be so dumb?

Coastline makes up the highest percentage of what US state's border?
Spoiler
Hawaii - 100% is coastline :D
Spoiler
there may be no way of getting around this being dumb
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

U.S. PRESIDENTS

The two even-numbered years in which the Presidential oath of office has been administered.
Spoiler
What are 1850 and 1974?
Last edited by mas3cf on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:19 pm U.S. PRESIDENTS

The first president inaugurated in an even-numbered year.
Spoiler
Who was Gerald Ford?
Spoiler
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:48 pm When I think about or come across such things is when I miss Dan Patrick in the J! studio.

SPORTS HOMES

These two non-NHL teams that both played 2019 home games in venues that included the word "Coliseum", will each be playing home games in new facilities next season.
Spoiler
Los Angeles Rams & Oakland Raiders
Spoiler
I went with the Raiders and the Chargers. I knew the Chargers were playing in that little soccer bandbox, but I knew they're moving after this year so figured maybe they played one game in the Coliseum (as the wording sort of implies the possibility of a one-off game).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:12 pm Not a final, but since this is where we are putting our homemade questions.

This one is dumb, but it came to mind and I was hoping to find a way to word it so it might not be so dumb?

Spoiler
Spoiler
I was about to interject about how the coastline paradox renders that question as nonviable,
Spoiler
but then I saw the answer and sighed.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:24 pm

The first president inaugurated in an even-numbered year.
Spoiler
Who was Gerald Ford?
Spoiler
D'oh! Dunno how I missed that.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:12 pm Not a final, but since this is where we are putting our homemade questions.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I got Hawaii easy enough but really wonder about the definition of "border". Maybe "boundary" is a better term. There's also some gray area about the equivalence of "riverbank" and "coastline".

I like it as a "stupid answers" type clue, but the derivative clue excluding Hawaii may be even better. I am intrigued which state in the lower 48 or the continental 49 has the highest percentage. Florida seems to be the favorite, but just how long is it around Massachusetts bay, relative to the land boundaries?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:53 pm

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I got Hawaii easy enough but really wonder about the definition of "border". Maybe "boundary" is a better term. There's also some gray area about the equivalence of "riverbank" and "coastline".

I like it as a "stupid answers" type clue, but the derivative clue excluding Hawaii may be even better. I am intrigued which state in the lower 48 or the continental 49 has the highest percentage. Florida seems to be the favorite, but just how long is it around Massachusetts bay, relative to the land boundaries?
Don't forget Michigan as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The two even-numbered years in which the Presidential oath of office has been administered.
Spoiler
What are 1850 and 1974?
I got this, but it took more than Think Music time.
Spoiler
I had to add up from 1840 and William Henry Harrison's election since I didn't know Zachary Taylor's exact year. But I knew it had to be Zach's veep because Zach's the only pres to have died far enough into his term to trigger an even-year inauguration. WHH died the same year as his inauguaration, so it has to be an odd year--1841. Lincoln died a month and change into his second term, so 1965. Garfield died six months in to his first, so 1881. McKinley died in 1901. I just know that. Harding... well that's tricky. I might've spun my wheels for a while on Harding, especially if I had focused only on presidents who died in office and hadn't remember Nixon. Looks like Harding went 2 1/2 years more or less, which puts him in an odd year. FDR 1945. JFK 1963. Only Zachary Taylor gets inaugurated (in an odd year as almost all do) and waits until the FOLLOWING year to die.

I think outside a TOC, an FJ would only ask for one of the two years and contestants who got it right would most likely do so with 1974.

The alternative, asking for the first pres. inaugurated in an even-numbered year, is a good FJ as well and gettable within the 30 seconds.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

U. S. Presidents

One of the first two presidents to have been born after the death of Abraham Lincoln. (TOC level: Name the first)
Spoiler
Warren G. Harding, Calvin Coolidge
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Hot off the recent Michigan category, that was my guess.

Perhaps add in something about "of the contiguous 48 states..." and change the expected response to Michigan or Florida or whatever it actually is.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:11 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Hot off the recent Michigan category, that was my guess.

Perhaps add in something about "of the contiguous 48 states..." and change the expected response to Michigan or Florida or whatever it actually is.
Spoiler
really hoping to find a way to do this while keeping Hawaii as the answer, but not making the question dumb. I just don't see a good way.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TRANSPORTATION

This road passes through 15 states, the most of any Interstate highway.
Spoiler
What is I-95?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

ADD AN "E"

Add an "E" at the end of a fiery Hindu funeral practice, and you get the name of this French composer.
Spoiler
Who is Erik Satie?(From Sati.)
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

PROG ROCK

This drummer has played with Yes, King Crimson, & Genesis, among other bands.
Spoiler
Who is Bill Bruford?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:20 am ADD AN "E"

Add an "E" at the end of a fiery Hindu funeral practice, and you get the name of this French composer.
Spoiler
That would be fun for the weekly poll. I'd check the box saying I got this from the French composer angle rather than the funeral practice angle. I've heard of the practice but didn't recall that it had a name. No chance going at it on that end. But French composers that Jeopardy! will ask about is a reasonably petit monde. Debussy. Ravel. Offenbach. Berlioz. Bizet. Gounod. Saint-Saëns. Beyond those basic names (and perhaps one more, ending in e), the archive returns no hits for clues requesting the names of Franck, Poulenc, Milhaud, Messiaen, Dukas, Delibes, Chabrier, Charpentier, Chausson Couperin, Lully, or Rameau. There is one hit for a clue requesting Pierre Boulez. It was a $2000 clue and a triple-stumper. They never tried that again. Same story for Massenet in a clue that spotted players the "Ma-". So specify that the name ends in an e and you've only got a couple of choices:
Spoiler
Gabriel Fauré (the archive logs zero clues requesting this name) and Erik Satie (one clue). Sati looks and sounds Hindu/Indian in a way that Faur just doesn't. However, given that Satie only has the one hit, excluding clues that mention him and ask about something else, this may be too obscure for FJ.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:41 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:20 am ADD AN "E"

Spoiler
That would be fun for the weekly poll. I'd check the box saying I got this from the French composer angle rather than the funeral practice angle. I've heard of the practice but didn't recall that it had a name. No chance going at it on that end. But French composers that Jeopardy! will ask about is a reasonably petit monde. Debussy. Ravel. Offenbach. Berlioz. Bizet. Gounod. Saint-Saëns. Beyond those basic names (and perhaps one more, ending in e), the archive returns no hits for clues requesting the names of Franck, Poulenc, Milhaud, Messiaen, Dukas, Delibes, Chabrier, Charpentier, Chausson Couperin, Lully, or Rameau. There is one hit for a clue requesting Pierre Boulez. It was a $2000 clue and a triple-stumper. They never tried that again. Same story for Massenet in a clue that spotted players the "Ma-". So specify that the name ends in an e and you've only got a couple of choices:
Spoiler
Gabriel Fauré (the archive logs zero clues requesting this name) and Erik Satie (one clue). Sati looks and sounds Hindu/Indian in a way that Faur just doesn't. However, given that Satie only has the one hit, excluding clues that mention him and ask about something else, this may be too obscure for FJ.
Spoiler
Has there even been an FJ in which spelling itself - and I don't mean extra or subtracted syllables or sounds - is important? This clue seems unlikely because it hinges on different spellings but not different pronunciations. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who knew the word as suttee - that's the version that was used in the translation of Around the World in 80 Days I read when I was a kid, and I know I've seen it since then....
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm
Spoiler
Has there even been an FJ in which spelling itself - and I don't mean extra or subtracted syllables or sounds - is important? This clue seems unlikely because it hinges on different spellings but not different pronunciations. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who knew the word as suttee - that's the version that was used in the translation of Around the World in 80 Days I read when I was a kid, and I know I've seen it since then....
This one springs to mind, though I feel fairly certain there have been others.