Page 29 of 60

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:48 pm
by mas3cf
Ironhorse wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:26 pm
Am I missing something obvious with the 1940s?
Oops, *I* was missing something obvious with the 1940s. :shock:

Clue updated.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:49 pm
by mas3cf
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:08 am
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 am
Here's a tougher Presidents one:

U.S. PRESIDENTS

The most recent decade with presidents from only one political party.
Spoiler
What are the 1900s? (McKinley, T.Roosevelt, Taft)
Spoiler
What is 1983-1992?
If you want to get all technical about it,
Spoiler
the time period you are referring to ended in 1993.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
by MinnesotaMyron
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
by mas3cf
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
by MinnesotaMyron
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm
by mas3cf
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm
by MinnesotaMyron
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?
Paul Newman is a correct response if you define "decade" to mean "any period of 10 calendar years" (as I am doing here) instead of "10 calendar years starting with the same digit in the tens spot, such as the 1960s or 1970s". Brian and Holly were both brought back later.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:55 pm
by mas3cf
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?
Paul Newman is a correct response if you define "decade" to mean "any period of 10 calendar years" (as I am doing here) instead of "10 calendar years starting with the same digit in the tens spot, such as the 1960s or 1970s". Brian and Holly were both brought back later.
Ah, okay, thanks. Perhaps the term "decade" is best avoided. In the common vernacular, if someone asked me which decade I was born in, I'd say the 1980s... not "1978-1987." Same goes for the term "year" which is commonly taken to refer to a block of time starting on January 1 and ending on December 31. The answer to "What year were you born?" would essentially never be something like "March 13, 1983 - March 12, 1984."

But yes, technically, 1983-1992 is a decade. And it's still wrong because by the same logic, Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993 is a decade. ;)

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:58 pm
by opusthepenguin
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.
Then you weren't referring to the most recent decade.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:06 pm
by seaborgium
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm
A decade is 10 years.

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1985
4. 1986
5. 1987
6. 1988
7. 1989
8. 1990
9. 1991
10. 1992

10 years.
Jan 20, 1983 - Jan 19, 1993. 10 years.
That not the time period I was referring to, though.

In case anyone doesn't catch the reference, this is the game with the FInal Jeopardy clue I am referring to.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913
For the uninitiated like myself, could you help connect the dots here?
Paul Newman is a correct response if you define "decade" to mean "any period of 10 calendar years" (as I am doing here) instead of "10 calendar years starting with the same digit in the tens spot, such as the 1960s or 1970s". Brian and Holly were both brought back later.
It's not strictly that "decade" can mean any arbitrary period of ten years which made Paul Newman potentially correct in that case; it's that "the last 5 consecutive decades" can mean "each of the five consecutive ten-year periods extending back from the present moment." If the same FJ clue had been given in 2008 or 2009 and a contestant or contestants responded with Paul Newman, J! would not need to bring them back, because he was not nominated for his acting during the period 30-40 years prior.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 am
by LucarioSnooperVixey
CANADIAN PRIME MINISTERS

Travis McGee can tell you that this man was Canada's first Prime Minister.
Spoiler
Who is John A. MacDonald?

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 am
by davey
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 am
CANADIAN PRIME MINISTERS

Travis McGee can tell you that this man was Canada's first Prime Minister.
Spoiler
Who is John A. MacDonald?
Spoiler
Is the point to lead players to guess the wrong middle initial? I have a feeling fewer will know the significance of the hint than will know the Prime Minister's name...

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
by LucarioSnooperVixey
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm
by pinkfreud
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm
by seaborgium
pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.
Except for "female" in the category. (But I think it's a bad clue all the same.)

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm
by Bigdogstalfos
Category: Nicknames

The defense of the crest of Henry Hill on July 21, 1861 gave this man his famous nickname.
Spoiler
Answer: Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:45 pm
by jeff6286
Bigdogstalfos wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm
Category: Nicknames

The defense of the crest of Henry Hill on July 21, 1861 gave this man his famous nickname.
Spoiler
Answer: Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
He was a good fella

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm
by pinkfreud
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm
pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.
Except for "female" in the category. (But I think it's a bad clue all the same.)
D'oh! Sometimes I am category-blind. I blame this on my age, and on the inevitable "hardening of the smarteries."

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 pm
by MinnesotaMyron
pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm
pinkfreud wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
20th CENTURY FEMALE AUTHORS

Change one letter in an establishment founded by Jane Addams and you get an establishment created by this author.
Spoiler
Who is Shirley Jackson?(Hull House to Hill House.)
There's a significant ambiguity here.
Spoiler
Richard Matheson (Hell House)
This is just as valid, IMHO.
Except for "female" in the category. (But I think it's a bad clue all the same.)
D'oh! Sometimes I am category-blind. I blame this on my age, and on the inevitable "hardening of the smarteries."
That's a clever turn of phrase. I like it.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm
by MinnesotaMyron
POP CULTURE THROUGH THE GENERATIONS

In 2009, this member of the Monkees appeared in an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants
Spoiler
Who is Davy Jones (and his locker)?
(This one could be made easier with another clue, but I like it this way.)